Failed emissions in VA

I may have missed it somewhere but what is your combo? Injector size, turbo, intercooler, MAF, air intake, cam, heads, exhaust, etc.

No, you didn't miss it, I didn't know what to post for info. I have a whole list of items that were done when I had the motor rebuilt in 2002.

The car is mostly stock with the major differences here:
- Current mileage on car – 153,880
- Current mileage on engine – 7000
- Current mileage on transmission – 2000
- New Precision TA-60 stock-appearing turbo, Houston 3” down pipe and high-flow catalytic converter
- 009 42.5 lb injectors
- RA93 009 EPROM chip
- Hot-wire kit
- 12 inch 2800-3000 stall lockup torque converter
- High performance short block
• Block bored on precision stand & 2-step torque plate honed.
• Installed billet main caps on #2 and 3 main journals, aligned bore block.
• Block align bored with heads attached to block, correctly stressing the block to ensure accurate align bore.
• Speed Pro “plasma” moly piston rings, rings are file fit.
• Diamond forged “turbo” pistons. Light weight, 2618 material.
• Federal Mogul “Super Duty” alloy main bearings
• Federal Mogul HD connecting rod bearings and cam bearings
• Speed Pro double roller timing set
• Competition Cams “dyno proven” custom grind hydraulic camshaft.
• ARP connecting rod bolts, main studs.
• Connecting rod caps relieved for ARP bolts
• Hot tank block, heads, misc. Install new core plugs.
• Precision ground crankshaft
• Precision balanced rotating assembly
• Blueprinted oiling system, which includes the enlarging of some oil passages in the block and timing cover.
• “GM” lifters (flat tappet cam application)

Rebuilt cylinder heads
• Machined with 3 angle valve seats
• Exhaust seat bowl area enlarged with 4th angle
• Reconditioned intake valves
• New exhaust valves
• Exhaust valves undercut to enhance airflow
• Machined exhaust valves to accept stock-type positive valve seals
• Assembled with stock replacement Viton seals, HD LT1 special valve springs
• Cylinder heads cleaned and glass beaded
• O-ring grooves milled at each cylinder, metal O-rings installed
• Manley “Severe Duty” valves installed (increased airflow)

Do you have a set of stock injectors and a stock chip? My son goes through California emissions with a setup similar to yours and the only way he gets it to pass is with stock injectors (30#) and a stock chip (BBKJ). He just went through about 2 months ago and the numbers were in the dirt!

Your converter should be hotter on the exit side. If exit side is colder than the intake side, you need a new converter. Infrared heat gun works great for this.
You will get more use to tuning. Your already better from when you started this thread. Numbers do move around but with in certain limits. I try to think of ways to explain how some things work. Take BLM's for instance. The best way is to look at it on a scale. 128 would be the center point of the scale, 100 would be the lowest point and 150 would be the highest. BLM's should have been called fuel correction factor FCF. I'll never understand how they came up with block learn multiplier. Anyway, you want to stay in range so you don't run out of correction. Once you hit 100 or 150, no more correction. Thats why you want to stay within 10 +/- of 128. 128 is the center point of the scale.

Sound like you have got your #s dialed in. The only thing left is that converter.

Thanks

Thanks for the confidence. I suspect that the only thing left is the converter. I have a contact temp probe, I will use that to see if it is working. Somebody ripped me off for my infrared probe.

Before I go out buying a CAT, is there a certain one I should be getting or is the stock CAT from Midas, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc... good enough? Should I be going to the DELCO guy for that? I am finally getting the gist of things here, ask the experts first and then go buy something. I am under a bit of a deadline since I need to get this to pass before the end of the month.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Merry Christmas!

Andy

Merry Christmas!

Depending if you need the 4 bolt flange or not, any high flow converter should do. Do you still have a 4 bolt flange converter? They are nice for those track day when you want to run the test pipe.
Those ifrareds grow legs :eek: