Fastest times with lockup TC

It seems we go over this multiple times a year. Each time I try to help guys understand how a converter works to try and clear up the confusion but I'm not sure it works. Lol

Let's use some data from a 10.40 car using 2 different lock-ups and the PTC 9.5 NL.

This data is from the most commonly used core to build a Buick lock-up converter. The GM245mm core which is used by every major company including me.

A 3200 1# stall running 10.40 will have 20+ % slip. Way to loose IMO which is why I never use this converter spec unless someone has a large 66+ turbo and only want a great seat of the pants feel. It will feel loose driving. This spec is used by some vendors who sell PTC and have customers who love them. It's to loose for me personally in what I want my converter to feel like.

The 2800 1# stall has about 16% slip at 130+. This is my most common spec lock-up. It spools very well with a 6262 and has been used with 64-66mm turbo's. This converter with a 6466 has been 10.30's. Why do I not prefer it at this level...because I know with a 9.5 this 10.30 car has a good chance of going 9's but the customer wanted a lock-up. The 10" lock-up can slip in the 9-11% range at 130+ mph and retain lock-up but to do so the 1# stall number is closer to 2500 rpm. Most guys want something to spool a little quicker but this converter would still work with up to a 6262. I have found many of the tighter Vigilante's to stall in the 2400-2500 range at 1#.

On a 10.30 car the 9.5 NL is 4% slip while still having a 3000 rpm 1# stall. What you have to pay attention to is the 1# stall number is still 3000, yet the slip is over 10% better. To get this performance out of a lock-up, the converter will be tighter down low.

A car with a 58mm up to a 62mm turbo can run well into the low 11's with slip numbers in the single digits with most of the available lock-ups if the stall speed is kept at 2500-2600 at 1# of boost. I usually stick with the 2800 stall because guys want a much more noticeable spool. This is why a customers needs and intentions is so important to getting the right converter.

Here is an example of what you can expect from any lock-up converter. Let's use a 2800 1# stall converter for example. At 12.00 it will approximately have 4% slip. 11.50---7%, 11.00-----11%, 10.50----14%. You can take the 1# stall number down to 2500-2600 and slip for each power level will also drop. This is why going on slip % alone only tells 20% of the story. Without knowing it's actual 0-1# stall number and the mph it's running you can't compare from one converter to the other.

Well with a Art Carr no lock I trapped 126 best, My turbo is a 66 and it is street form, Pump gas and meth spray, Changing nothing but the converter I went with a PTC 5 disc lock up and had it lock up at 126, The car then trapped the best of 131

Was this a 5 disc vigilante or was it my own multi-disc lock-up? Just asking because my multi-disc is a triple disc. I have restalled some 5 disc vigilante's so it's hard to keep up with everyone.

I wasn't trying to start anything with that post and if I wanted a pissing contest I would start a thread of my own so the PTC nut huggers could come out of the woodwork to attack and belittle me.. This thread is about LU converters and fastest times.

PTC doesn't offer a L/U that can compete with what Dave and others are selling.

The PTC 10" L/U isn't even a contender as there are much better choices for cars running in the tens or nines with a L/U.

I will not get into the NLU discussion as it doesn't pertain to this thread even though people have posted their times and other comments here.

I will say that there has been a lot of R/D the past two years on the TB L/U converter that most people don't know about and it keeps getting better.

I only wish that the people who haven't had such great success with the PTC and now have something they are happy with would post up their experiences, but unfortunatly they don't want to offend certain members on here and/or be attacked by the gestapo.

I have heard plenty of stories about the issues people have had from the over heating of the trans and losing second gear due to the heat of running the PTC spragless when D/D as well as other issues like blowing the H/G's because of a third gear flare due to trans temps being to high and shifting wonky when the temps get high.

The 2004R doesn't like to be run in the 200* and higher range for very long if at all.

The PTC converter isn't for everyone and neither is the one Dave and others are selling simple as that. It all depends on what you want/need out of your car and how you drive it.

Let the madness continue, I'm out of this thread as I'm sure at least twenty people are going to be offended by this post and attack me.

These converter threads always deliver. Here is a screen shot of converter efficiency with rpm. The pink line is actual converter slip.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 196
These converter threads always deliver. Here is a screen shot of converter efficiency with rpm. The pink line is actual converter slip.

That nice and shows what a converter does. Slip is the highest after launch and after the gear changes but the converter recovers as rpm climbs.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The torque converter is an exercise in compromise. The PTC gives up torque multiplication to gain greater coupling. Dave accomplishes the same thing with torque multiplication and lesser coupling. In order to gain in one area you must give something up in another. There is no free lunch.

vigilante install instructs

Attachments

• install_manual vig multi disc.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 220
What kind of power do you make? Do you already have a Vigilante 5 disk?
I got a new 5 disc 0 pump from a local friend. he actually wants it back, so i was considering the ptc (sell back and cash ontop) but the car sees the track 2-3 times a year and i really want it to be more highway friendly to drive to work a couple times a week. best times so far w a 3500-3800 art car n/l on 26" tire was 11.3 @123 1.94 60ft. no dyno numbers.

Ahhhhh the LU vs NLU annual winter thread.:nailbiting: PTS 9/11 LU .. 9.93 @ 138+ in street trim (3660# car). 67 Turbo. This converter has a LOT of miles on it. Hopefully be trying Dustys converter this summer.

if l/u yes, im thinking it will help give me some more gearing also during strip visits
The only choices to lock up at WOT are PTC 3 disk or a Vig 3 or 5 disk modified by Dave Husek. Whether you use your 5 disk or your friend uses it,you or he will need to have Dave modify it. In its current configuration,it slips more and more when more power is applied to it.Technically,you shouldn't need to lock Dave's or Dusty's at WOT. Because of this,Dave only offers a lock up for more efficient highway cruising and not for WOT.

The only choices to lock up at WOT are PTC 3 disk or a Vig 3 or 5 disk modified by Dave Husek. Whether you use your 5 disk or your friend uses it,you or he will need to have Dave modify it. In its current configuration,it slips more and more when more power is applied to it.Technically,you shouldn't need to lock Dave's or Dusty's at WOT. Because of this,Dave only offers a lock up for more efficient highway cruising and not for WOT.

If sending to someone for further modifications is the only option its does not seem like the correct route. is this the general consensus that it 'needs' to be modded. i mean i cant imagine ordering one of these from full throttle for over 1000 bucks and have to send it out to someone else for further mods to adequately work???? whats Dave doing to it?

If sending to someone for further modifications is the only option its does not seem like the correct route. is this the general consensus that it 'needs' to be modded. i mean i cant imagine ordering one of these from full throttle for over 1000 bucks and have to send it out to someone else for further mods to adequately work???? whats Dave doing to it?
I thought you said you already had a Vig. Of course,it would be foolish to buy a new one and have it modified. Precision industries seems to be stuck in the past as far as torque converter technology,but if you already have one,it can be improved with modern methods.