Finding Parts on GMPARTSDIRECT.com

bishir

Serenity Now
Well, I decided to visit that site for the first time since I need two Plenum gaskets for the Power Plate. I looked for # 2402089 and no luck. Then I looked for other parts for my car and nothing! What's up? Will autozone have this?

James

Try their "Alternate Catalog" search. It's much better - has pictures and will deliver a part number. It's just like allgmpartsonline.com (I'm not sure if they're around anymore).

Jim

I go to GM to get the correct part number, then check with GM Parts Direct. I recently took the part number off a part and it did not show up on GM Parts Direct so I ordered it through my local GM dealership. When the part arrived I noticed that the last number on the sticker was different then the one on the part. When I typed in the sticker number it did come up with a match. That was a $70 mistake!
Jeff

I got some from GMParts once.

You can also get them from Jay Jackson the throttle body guy. :)

Thanks for the help everyone. My first stop looking for the part was Autozone. The Autozone employee became extremely confused when I mentioned the word "plenum." Then he proceded to stare at his screen for 5 mins. Then he asked me where this is located and I told him on top of the intake. He said, "You should have said INTAKE, I have intake gaskets...." :rolleyes:

Then I proceeded to the local BOP dealer where they found what I needed in 3 mins. Needless to say the part will be here tomorrow. Thanks,

James

GM Parts Direct has the lowest prices but the shipping will kill you.Better check b4 you buy!

Thank you for saying that. I've learned to go the extra step towards checkout and see what the price is with S&H. On cheaper parts, it's terrible and the dealers are cheaper (unless you have a dealer that has to pay for their crystal cathedral showroom.

On more expensive parts, GMPD does start to look good.

Terry

Try P&GChevy.com their shipping is cheaper and you can call them on the phone and ask them questions about parts and part numbers.
Tarey D.

Originally posted by bishir
Well, I decided to visit that site for the first time since I need two Plenum gaskets for the Power Plate. I looked for # 2402089 and no luck. Then I looked for other parts for my car and nothing! What's up? Will autozone have this?

James

It would have worked better if you used the correct part number. Next time use my illustrated parts catalog :)

If a part is in my catalog and not in the GMparts direct database, there is a good chance its discontinued at GM.

Parts stores are beginning to take up the slack, however. Things like gaskets are becoming available at parts stores,

I find that GM sometimes changes the part # of items. The old part # doesn't work in GMPD search.

I never buy from them but I like to use the search to find out if a part is discontinued.

BTW- www.allgmpartsonline.com is back online. They got crushed with demand but have apparently fixed things. They are really nice to deal with and are here in NJ. Shipping is dirt cheap for me, and pricing is comparable to gmpartsdirect.

Jim

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
II recently took the part number off a part and it did not show up on GM Parts Direct so I ordered it through my local GM dealership. When the part arrived I noticed that the last number on the sticker was different then the one on the part.

A lot of poeple get burned by this. The casting or stamping on the part is usually similar but NOT the same of the actual part number.