First couple of kills in a LONG time 03 cobra and 12 grand sport vette

Paul69camaro

I finally got the transmission in the car working right and started playing with some alky and boost. Currently I'm running 24 pounds... Either way, I went to a buddies house and his younger brother had been talking trash since he got his 03 cobra a few months back. I figured since I have no clue how fast my car is it would give me a good idea.

First race we went from a roll at around 30, he stayed with me for about a second then the GN quickly put about 4 cars on him before I hit the brakes to stop at the light. I figured he had enough so I wasn't ready to launch the car when the light turned green... He caught me off idle and pulled a couple of cars on me before the boost was up, I caught second gear and it just lit the tires up but I was still reeling him in. By the time I was in third it was over again, it probably ended about the same as the first race with 4 cars between us.

About a few hours later after lunch I was pulling up to my drive way when another buddy and his dad pulled up in a sweet looking grand sport vette (stock). He'd also been talking smack about how my little 6 was never going to be as fast as I thought it would be. Either way his dad asked me to race so I had no choice but to agree:) he said he wanted to go from a roll at 45... Well he smoked my ass the first pass. It was completely driver error as I was in overdrive and just smacked it on the third honk, by the time it downshifted and built boost he was 5 cars ahead of me! I pulled up next to him and asked him to go from a stop, luckily he agreed cause I couldn't go home after an ass whooping like that. From a stop I was only able to build about 4 psi before the tires would break loose so that's about where I left. First gear we were side by side, then I caught second, again sending the tires up in smoke but luckily I jumped up about 3 cars on him, from there on it was just a slow steady pull till I got about 4-5 cars on him.

I didn't want to go again as my tranny temp was in the upper 190's and I figured I'd stop while on top. I'm sure glad I got that second race otherwise I'd never hear the end of it. When we got back home I started hearing excuses like I left my A/C on and my windows where down and I had another person in the car... Either way, I think I got an idea of where I'm at, I'm thinking low 12's which is very slow considering my mods. Time to do some brake and suspension work...

Paul

Nice sounds like you had fun. And also some experience to keep it in 3rd.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks, I really need to get everything dialed in perfect, I'm not sure where my shift point should be but I think I'm going to bump it up 100 rpm to 5200. The vette wants to go again and I need to make sure the third race settles which car is faster. From a dig I know there is no way he'll beat the GN but I need to make a statement! Plus I've got a buddy with a built 98 cobra pushing 18 psi from his f1a procharger, that thing is a beast but I need to atleast make a respectable pass against it at the strip in the near future. He's trapping around 130 so I probably don't stand a chance.

Seems like you need an upgrade to the valve train and then chip.

Is trans temp in the 190's bad? That's about where my truck's temp sits while just cruising.

Is trans temp in the 190's bad? That's about where my truck's temp sits while just cruising.

It's getting there. Should definitely install a trans cooler. From what I think I know is that temp at 200+ Farenheit, atf fluid starts breaking down and losing is properties of lubrication.

Seems like you need an upgrade to the valve train and then chip.

My combo isn't perfect but I figured it would be faster than what it is. I have a flat tappet 212/212 cam, port matched GN1's to a ported Champion intake, TE-44, razor's alky, 50lb injectors and a 5.7 Alky TT chip, TH 3" downpipe, ATR headers, Easton FMIC, all going through a 4l80E with a 3400 stall (I don't think its really that high since it only gets to about 2250 RPM at 0 boost) currently shifting at 5100 rpm and at 23-24PSI. I know my 60 foot suck and the suspensions needs to be addressed but I was hoping to put at least 10 cars on that vette... I'm still running the factory Maf, should I be concerned with swapping in an extender and a better MAF? Also my Air/Fuel settles in at 10.5:1 so I don't think the tune is off. Any ideas on where to start tweaking?

Paul

Yea a maf translator and lt1 or ls1 maf would help in that case with an extender chip from Bailey.