First place you would replace washer with bearing?

77 cruiser

100_4002.JPG 100_4002.JPG 100_4005.JPG I have some spares to mess with, so I just started at the rear ring gear. Is it OK to take the full amount off of the gear. If not I already F****ed up.:eek:

Attachments

• 100_4003.JPG
    100_4003.JPG
    822 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The innermost area of the rear internal gear has to stay stock dimension because of the small Torrington bearing that keeps the sun gear off the rear internal gear, alternately you can make a shim to go under it. I've seen pictures of rollerized parts where they machined it all the way out past the area the bearing sits but I've never done it that way because it doesn't make sense to me for that bearing to fall off center and have to be grabbed and re-center itself constantly (remember this all hangs horizontally in the car). I'm not sure if it would destroy itself that way or not but I've seen pics of people doing it that way.

Last edited:
Oh I get what you're saying now. Yes it should be strong enough to take the full .080 out of the gear only and I see you left the inner area. I thought you meant machine it all out level at .080

I was under the impression it was best to set it up and get what ever clearance you have then cut it with the bearing thickness in mind to keep the clearance tight. I would do the low/rev out of those two choices. Ive read that it takes a beating when you launch the car hard.

How about the clutch housing can I take .080 from that too?
BTW I didn't take .080 from the gear I stopped at .070.
Can I used the same bearing in both places? It looks like the clutch housing could have a bigger on but I thought the same size would work.

I've taken .080 out of the clutch housing on the ones I've done. Using a th350 pump bearing in both locations, which is what the gurus all told me to do..