First up on the Buick project: suspension - where to begin?

BeastV6

It'd be cool if it ran!!
We've finally started in on the Buick. We're going to start by working the suspension. I don't really even know where to begin here, as suspension isn't one of my strong points. I've found that BMR sells some upper and lower control arms ( http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G-Body.htm ). What is the advantage of going with adjustable upper control arms over the fixed length? Anyone have any horror stories about the BMR parts?

I'll also be going with a full polyurethane bushing/mount set. What other suspension areas need to be looked at? The engine will be coming out soon, so anything can be done here. Any suggestions for me? Where is a good manufacturer to look for suspension parts? Thanks. :)

Depending on how fast you want to go??
Up to low 10's you would need upper and lowers ( Metco makes nice set ) set your pinion angle remove front sway bar, Air bags in rear springs. That's about it. You could also put some drag shocks up front ( off road use only:D )

Good luck

What are you going to do with the car?.
Street Strip Corner Burning?.
Better yet, serious Street, serious Strip or serious cornering.

If you're going to want to go fast the first thing is brakes.
You'll want the 12 B car stuff as a min..
With that comes new upper front control arms.

See my sig for some good reading! If your REAL SERIOUS pay particular attention to the Instant Center location in the car. I plot chassis every day in my spare time..

ks:cool:

Originally posted by BeastV6
We've finally started in on the Buick. We're going to start by working the suspension. I don't really even know where to begin here, as suspension isn't one of my strong points. I've found that BMR sells some upper and lower control arms ( http://www.bmrfabrication.com/G-Body.htm ). What is the advantage of going with adjustable upper control arms over the fixed length? Anyone have any horror stories about the BMR parts?

I'll also be going with a full polyurethane bushing/mount set. What other suspension areas need to be looked at? The engine will be coming out soon, so anything can be done here. Any suggestions for me? Where is a good manufacturer to look for suspension parts? Thanks. :)
Remove the front sway bar. You'll be surprised how much it weighs. My car has no front sway bar, drag shocks up front, Bilsteins in the rear, and boxed lower control arms. Car drove great.

You may want to look at HR Parts n Stuff. They have some very good stuff. Their website is on the main page of this one.

I recommend taking a look at www.hrpartsnstuff.com . Their suspension parts are bar none excellent. They also have tool for the bushings in the rear end that make it super simple. They handle excellent and are very nice units. Also adjustable units are not needed unless you start looking at 11's or better. This is when you really start to pay attention to the 60' times and with a little tweak on the adjustables, you can affect this which will geatlry affect your ET.