Fixing pull strap? need help

Tz44

One of the bolts that hold the strap on the door of my 86 regal is pulled out of the metal. I'm trying to figure out the easiest and best (they're rarely the same) way to fix it.

I thought about pulling the door panel off and using a speed clip behind the hole but I'd have to figure out how to attach the speed clip from the back side.

I assumed that some of you may have run into the same issue before and could let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks for any help.

Remove upper door panel,use ball peen hammer on strap hole(to shrink hole) and screw will stay tight. Mark.

skidman said:
Remove upper door panel,use ball peen hammer on strap hole(to shrink hole) and screw will stay tight. Mark.

I bought a threaded rivet tool for just such an occasion.

ForumRunner_20130129_153231.png

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Turbo Buick

I've done that and used a bit bigger screw. and I use the armrest to close the door not the strap.

Get a license plate install kit. the one that comes with meaty screws and the push-in plastic receivers.

I thought about pulling the door panel off and using a speed clip behind the hole but I'd have to figure out how to attach the speed clip from the back side.

Thanks for any help.
I've fixed my car that exact same way using a clip like the one pictured below. The trick part is that you have to drill a few small holes next to each other (which can be made into a slot using a small file) into which you'll slide the speed clip. Just make sure that the hole in the clip will be in line where the screw has to be and that will determine where you have to drill the aforementioned small holes and you're done. Easy!;) Too bad I didn't think of taking pictures :rolleyes: , but one thing for sure...it'll never pull off again.
The best thing in using that method is that the clips are hardened and are very hard to "strip", but if that happens, you just replace the clip and you're back in business again.

Claude. ;)
DSCN3253.JPG

Wow, you guys are awesome. I'll try the hammer idea first ( any excuse to use a hammer :) ) if that doesn't work I'll look at some of the other options.

Thanks everybody.

earlbrown said:
Get a license plate install kit. the one that comes with meaty screws and the push-in plastic receivers.

I've done exactly this to many cars

back in the early 90's most cars had the same problem. some guys at the dealer would cut a little piece of coat hanger,fold it and slip in the hole. when you put the screw in it would be super tight. probably not the best long term fix,but works real well and cost zero

Where can you find the license plate kit?

auto parts store, walmart, biglots, hardware store, k-mart, gas stations (next to the overpriced dust covered motor oil....

damn near anywhere. Expect to spend over $1 :D

I did it this way.....piece of scrap metal riveted to the door, then a threaded hole for a threaded screw same diameter, plus some red Loctite on the threads. Never had come loose yet and this was done five years ago.

Bruce '87 Grand National

DSC_0501.JPG

This is what it looks like with the two new pieces for the pull strap screws.....

Bruce '87 Grand National

DSC_0500.JPG

the best fix is to take the strap out, make some nifty blockoff plates to cover the holes, and use the pull handle built into the door panel to pull the door shut..

Unibit. Drill the hole out to correct diameter for a Nutsert. A 10-32 is good.
Unibit makes a clean hole in thin materials.

I've fixed my car that exact same way using a clip like the one pictured below. The trick part is that you have to drill a few small holes next to each other (which can be made into a slot using a small file) into which you'll slide the speed clip. Just make sure that the hole in the clip will be in line where the screw has to be and that will determine where you have to drill the aforementioned small holes and you're done. Easy!;) Too bad I didn't think of taking pictures :rolleyes: , but one thing for sure...it'll never pull off again.
The best thing in using that method is that the clips are hardened and are very hard to "strip", but if that happens, you just replace the clip and you're back in business again.

Claude. ;)
View attachment 181241
I DID A FEW WITH THE SAME "J" NUT YOU MENTION,WORKED GREAT!!

I used a captured nut which is held in place with a couple rivets, similar to what's used in aircraft.

I welded a few nuts to the door - cost about $.05 but you would need access to a welder.