flex pipe in the exhaust - is it needed?

j13smiley

is the flex pipe needed? are there any problems replacing it with normal exhaust pipe?

i haven't seen the car yet... but here's my deal...

got my GW sfc welded on - and of course the exhaust was rubbing. so i took it to a custom exhaust shop and they agreed that a small cut or bend in the pipe would fix it. he also said the weld on the back end of the flex pipe was cracked and he'd re-weld that.

well i get the call today that it's done and didn't get to talk to the guy. but was told "...i had to replace that piece".... so right now i don't know what he did. i know that flex pipe is hard to find (yes it's in the faq i know) so i can't believe he had a spare one there at the shop (maybe he did). hell - for all i know he's not talking about the flex pipe.

but i'd like to have my info before i go talk to him in case i need to argue with him. is the flex pipe needed???

thanks!

I have had 2 here that didn't have it .. didn't have any problems ... been a few years time to :eek:

thanks guys... he put a new flex pipe on. looks like new pipe from the down pipe, flex pipe, and where the cat is "supposed" to be ;) i guess it looks ok.... i'll post pics when i get some time to put it up on ramps...

I have the Accufab 3" DP which has no flex pipe and it doesn't leak but it does vibrate a lot. I will be adding a flex pipe in the near future...and there is nothing special about the flex pipe...you can get them at pretty much any exhuast shop, Summit, Jegs, etc.

-Scott

Eh, I just realized that I wasn't thinking straight when I said it'd leak. I forgot about the turbo HAHAHAHAHA, DUH.

But on non-turbo cars with high "motor movement", no flex will cause header leaks (at least in my experiences).