floating device

gn79

I have a question. Its how do you wire up the floating device that goes in the tank. I am going to make my own and I plan on puting an led to light up when the pump turns on in the dash were the power injection is. Now I what to put other led in the dash also so when the alky is low it will turn on, but I will put it in the low fuel space. I know it will confuse people, but o well I am the only one that drives my car, so as long as I know What the dash is lighting up for I dont care. Now how do I wire the led to the floating device so that when the alky in the tank is running low it will turn on.

Depends how your floating device works. Maybe it closes a switch or maybe it opens a switch when it goes low. Use it to activate the LED. Led will need a limiting resistor since if you apply 12 V to an LED, it will fry..

No mention if your floating device is normally open or normally closed.

Razor,

Aren't there 12V LED's? Are you saying that current needs to be limited?

GN79,

As you start playing with LED's, keep in mind the require specific polarity. There is a + side and a - side. They will not light if you have the polarity backwards. I'd say grab a switch or a float switch from a windshield washer tank , some wire, some alligator clips, and some LED's and start playing. You get all that you will need from Radio Shack for a cheap. I'd guess less than $10. Usually the local RS guys are pretty helpfull and like seeing peoples projects. They should be able to shoot you in the right direction.

Yes thats why there is a resistor under the heatshrink tubing just for this purpose.. :D

Great question.. already there :)

Reason for an LED is two fold, one is they dont burnout easily and last almost indefinetely. Two they consume very little current and wont tax the switch built into the low float assembly.

For a resistor, typically a 1k ohm is required.

All this figuring stuff can be bypassed..there is someone selling the stuff for barely over cost.. But if you wish.. heres the info.