flywheel ?

gnbeginer

Ok - i was put in the direction of a good used sfi flywheel. Went over it it over and found it was never installed on the motor. guy changed direction and went ls1. So i bought the flywheel - got home crawled under car and started to install said flywheel. I have installed several flywheels over the years but for the life of me i can not get this dang thing to line up all 6 holes. Most i can get is 4. flipped it over(sfi facing trans) and same thing. At wits end - any ideas?

tia

If you don't have a locating pin, index it one hole at a time until they all line up. Normally there's one oddball in there to keep the weight in the right place.

Its the Chinese cranks...they are not exact on the holes. Mine didnt line up either

Bryan

i put it on and found where 5 lined up as they should and checked 6th one. just needed a lil takin off - so i took it off. its a neutral balance plate so i dont think that little will hurt. i hope

It's the new flywheels, talked to ta performance after my machine shop verified brand new flywheel crank holes are out of location. And guess what, the converter holes are for the stock 10 mm bolts and I have the upgraded 7/16-20 bolts that came with Dusty converter, so I need to drill them out to 7/16 and buy or chase the threads on (2) of my existing bolts.

Chuck

Last edited:
I was curious about this because Chuck and I are using the same crank. I have a JW on my stock crank that fits perfect without any reaming of holes. So this morning I swapped it to the new crank and two bolts will not go in without a little work......maybe .030 off. I'll probably clearance them all a little and split the difference.

It amazes me that they have achieved perfection in most areas on the import cranks but still miss the mark on the simple stuff.

Last edited:
It's not the crank, in my case it's the flex plate/flywheel. So I did some inspection and the flex plate has one hole good radially and the other two have a smaller radius by .approx 030. So now that I just installed the fresh motor...... I now have to pull the motor or tyranny and open up all three holes to maintain balance from 7/16" diameter to 1/2", why not just ship the flexplates with 1/2" holes or get the positions more accurate? I'm assuming these are manufactured with a punch press and the die has seen it's better days.

Last edited: