Formula 350? GTO?

joejakegrace

Just looking for some dependable/objective 2cent contributions!!

I've got the low mile TTA and a low mile (19k) 88 Formula 350. I like both for different reasons - am mildly entertaining dishing off the Formula for a) a real clean 75-78 T/A or b) an 05-06 GTO with real low miles.

I'm not the BIGGEST fan of the last gen GTO but you can steal low mile ones right now around here for 18-20 from guys who put them in the garage to keep and want out of the payments.

Keep the Formula - Pro = it's just beginning to appreciate and it's pretty rare - many/most were thrashed. Con = to 99% of the population, they can't tell it apart from my TTA - while the drivetrain is different, the driving experience is also somewhta similar.

Sell and go with a second gen TA - Pro = what I dreamed of in high school. Con = they weren't put together all that well and they weren't real good performers either (they make the formula look like a rocket ship)

Sell and go with a GTO - Pro = get a new car for 60% of the price/it's a rocket/it's the opportunity to care for a classic Pontiac from new that we all dream of. Con = For 15 more years, only I'll appreciate it PLUS they'll probably get cheaper for 10 more years (but harder to find a low miler).

Thoughts/criticisms.....?

What about like a 98-02 WS6? You can get a nice low mileage one for under $16k with the 6speed and then you have the speed of the GTO and the ride of the Formula/TA.

or you could trade the TTA to me for my GTA and some cash?
I would choose that option:biggrin: :D :biggrin: :cool: :smile:

On the 4th gen TA, I almost bought one when I picked up the TTA - I'd be interested in a real low mile WS6 ragtop (01-02) but also like the LS2 in the late GTO (frankly, better build quality on the cars than the TA at the end too).

On the trade,...uh, thanks but no - My pace car is up on the four poster, gets driven around in the right weather and gets enjoyed by me and my family - - - & one of my kids already has dibs on it when I go.

Any pics of that formula? What color? If you sell what are you looking to get out of it? Not a big fan of the newer GTO's, looks like a souped up Grand Am. Either keep the Formula or go with the older T/A. Where you located?

Here is a picture of the Formula when I bought it. I put the stock rims back on it and replaced the wing and had it professionally painted/matched. I also have done a front to rear tune/detail/clean - plugs, wires, MAF, O2, Idle Air Sensor, Coil, PCV, all fluids, etc.

I'm the second owner - it's got one or two pencil tip size dings if you know exactly where to look but it has never seen snow and rarely seen rain since new. All docs since new, build sheet, invoice, service records - great history. Runs like a horse.

Just turned 19k if I remember right - passed emissions easily.

I think it's worth 12ish easily but the problem is that it really starts accelerating at the 20 year mark - and it's probably worth as much to me as anyone!!

Now maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of this??

Also attached another pic of it up on the lift from this year - probably hard to see.

Attachments

• formula1.jpg
    formula1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 88
  • pontiacs.jpg
    pontiacs.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 93
Any pics of that formula? What color? If you sell what are you looking to get out of it? Not a big fan of the newer GTO's, looks like a souped up Grand Am. Either keep the Formula or go with the older T/A. Where you located?

Oh...interesting you say Parma of all places. 1 - My TTA came from Axlerod Pontiac. Great Folks - they were very nice to me when I tracked it's history. I also coincidentally once dated a girl from Parma when I went to OSU - her father was a cop in Parma - that's why I once dated her I guess ;)

Personally, I'd keep the Formula if it was me. I don't see many 3rd gen Firebirds around in Hawaii in any good and/or unmolested shape (save for the '89 LB8 base model across the street), and I can't remember the last time I saw a Formula 350 as nice as yours, anywhere. Kicking myself for not buying the one I saw back in 1999 for a mere thousand bucks, even with the interior being ratty and the paint faded. A few grand and I would've had a sweet car by now...

It's rare, it looks great, and it'll turn heads more often as time goes by, all plusses in my book.

so can I fit the GTO in the garage too!!??

that's how I got the Formula....told the Mrs. I was thinking of selling the bike for another car. She said "you work hard - don't sell the bike" - hmmmmm I see a trend....I might need someone's couch to sleep on though.

hmmmmmm on second thought....anyone interested in the formula?? ;) - just noticed an 06 torrid red gto with 900 miles on it at a dealer down the street. I think I can get it for about 22!!

Nice Formula Joe. I've got its near-twin, except mine is an 89 with the LB9 5-speed. hmmmmmmmmmmmm... how much are you asking?

I don't know - I know I probably wouldn't consider less than 12 - and I know I'm not excited about selling it. Spent the weekend thinking about all of the things I want to do around the house....which leads me to think about HOLDING ON to my two appreciating cars!!

....which leads me to think about HOLDING ON to my two appreciating cars!!

That's what I would do if I were you. In addition to my Formula, I 've got an 89 GTA and I probably won't sell either one for a while. Third Gens are just too much fun to drive. Oh, and to relate even more to your original post, I SOLD my 64k mile stone stock 77 W72 4-speed SE Trans Am last year (your're right, nice car but my Formula could toast it). I vote keep what you've got.