Fox Body, the Lego kit of cars

Pablo

I'm in Miami (my hometown) on vacation for a couple weeks and am helping my buddy install about 4500 bux worth of parts in his 91 LX 5.0 notchback t5 car

He probably had the last near stock one on earth.

This is the first time I've ever worked on one of these cars and wow, this thing is so simple its ridiculous.

Every part is packaged like it could be sold on the shelf of walmart, and with full instructions and details, most of the stuff he has purchased is part of just one huge kit from trickflow from the intake, heads, cam down to every last fastener.

It took us an afternoon to do the springs, shocks, and caster/camber plates... doing the front suspension on my Buick was about 100 times harder

We pulled it in the garage today to do the engine, started at like noon, by 8 the whole thing was torn down to the shortblock. This is working with an extreme lack of tools.

Im also noticing distinct similarities to GM cars. The rear suspension is almost exactly like a T/R except a TR doesnt hvae what they call "quad shocks"

The front suspension is almost exactly like my former thirdgen F body cars only it seemed less beefy, and the lengths of the a arm and tie rod are very short (cant be good)

The chassis looks like alot of thinly stamped steel, no wonder these things are light, a thirdgen k member looks like a slab of cast iron, on the stang it looks like body panel material lol

The engine accessory drive is EXACTLY the same as my thirdgen Fbody with serpentine setup. Their accessory brackets seem to be more of a hodgepodge of stamped metal parts bolted to eachother though whereas the f body uses two enormous cast AL brackets for everything

Engine wise there seem to be alot less bolts going on, obviously the heads, the intake came apart quick too.

a SUPER annoying thing is that so many plugs on these cars look exactly the same. On GM cars the plugs are all different so its impossible to even get confused. On top of that, every single ford plug has two clips, its extremely annoying taking off the plugs without breaking the clip on atleast one side.

Lets not forget the special fuel and AC line connections.. WTF?

I've been doing some research on stang boards too, trying to find out about their egr function... talk about commercialized, between every post is an ad for another cookie cutter bolt on guaranteed to give you x amount of hp in your 5.0. I knew their aftermarket was big, but its really just unbelievably big, to the point that parts have even generic brand knock offs of the real thing (he apparently has generic knock offs of FMS headers)

Just thought it was interesting to see that side of things, I've always owned gm cars where parts come in a plain brown box with either no instructions or really rudimentary instructions and alot of home made stuff. It seems like on a stang there is nothing you could think of that hasn't been tried before and is being sold for those cars

Its also not surprising why they are so light, they are really unsubstantial.

Fun to drive though, after we did the suspension i got to take it for a test run. Talk about oversteer happy! Im guessing thats a byproduct of what we did, everything I had previously heard was that they were big on understeer.

I liked these cars, I still do, but I could never own one... way too mainstream. If cars were music, mustangs would be top 40

Funny you should mention this. I have a couple friends who have always been into 'Stangs. Between them, they've probably had 6 or 7. One of them was a '79 notch that was updated to look like an '85 LX, it ran 12-teens with simple bolt on parts, and being a strippo, it only weighed around 2900lbs. The best one was a modified '94 GT. I don't think he ever raced it, but it was a nice car, definitely one of the nicest 'Stangs that I've ever seen. I gotta agree with you, they (especially the Fox-bodied cars) do seem like they lack structural rigidity, but the SN-95 cars seem a little more stout. The 8.8 rear ends are beefy, but those T5's....I know my friends blew up at least one in spectacular fashion. But they work their cars HARD. Even trashed a Tremec TR-3650 in an '01 GT. The cars do seem to take abuse though. Well, at least until they did one too many 4500RPM launches, and ripped the torque boxes out of the '01. :eek:

But yeah, there are way too many of them. It's not necessesarily a bad thing, since the popularity certainly helps with he supply of aftermarket parts, as you've witnessed with your buddie's '91. But as far as originality goes, it seems to make it difficult to have one that's truly "different". Every time we'd go to a cruise, there'd be Mustangs everywhere, lookin for a race. Then, when the cops showed up, they'd all tear off in different directions. It was funny, we were sitting in an empty parking lot, just checking out what rolled by. Then the cops roll in to the Stang-bangers hangout across the street, and they all rushed to their cars and hi-tailed it out of there. Amidst the sound of 2-chamber Flowmasters & screeching tires, we sat there and watched. One of my 'Stang friends just shook his head and said "Jeez, these Mustangs are like cockroaches, if ya kick the baseboard hard enough, they all scatter". :D

I can't say that I don't like the cars, they're just not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination....unless you're talking about an '00 Cobra R. :) Both my 'Stang friends were of the opinion that with all the cheap parts out there, almost any ham-fisted individual with a little cash in their pocket could build a fairly reliable 11 second car. It's not quite that simple, but you get the idea.

The funny thing is, one of them now owns a '99 T/A, weighing in at a portly 3800lbs. But its faster than any of his 'Stangs, and is currently the fastest car in our group, capable of hi 11's if he could get traction withouth worrying about exploding the weak 10-bolt.

Steve

The mustangs are fun. ive had mine "86 GT" for 11 years and my 96 GT 4.6 auto low 11's " wifes car"
10.80's on the motor and 9.60 on the spray.
1.31 60fts
140 mph

paceburnoutrcr.jpg

prostock1.jpg

http://www.krylonracing.com/pace2/wfo-racing2004.wmv

here is a video of my stangs. My 86 was my daily driver until i got my first TR.

DSC01819.jpg

Black Box said:
Both my 'Stang friends were of the opinion that with all the cheap parts out there, almost any ham-fisted individual with a little cash in their pocket could build a fairly reliable 11 second car. It's not quite that simple, but you get the idea.

Thats so true, I'm sure my buddies car will be able to run mid to low 12s with the combo we are bolting on and he didn't have to think about what parts to use at all.

Pacemkr86

I love your 86, that thing looks brutal... I will watch the vid when I get back to the real internet. My moms house only has dialup :(

Pablo said:
Fun to drive though, after we did the suspension i got to take it for a test run. Talk about oversteer happy! Im guessing thats a byproduct of what we did, everything I had previously heard was that they were big on understeer.

They are big on understeer right up until the point they snap spin so fast even with their very good steering, you'll hit the travel stops on the rack before you can catch it.

Go into a decreasing radius corner too fast, even with a stock 5.0 and you will come out of the corner facing the wrong way.

i secretly like certain mustang's expecially the 5.0. ssshhhhhh!!! dont tell anyone. its not easy admitting it. :eek:

got rice? said:
i secretly like certain mustang's expecially the 5.0. ssshhhhhh!!! dont tell anyone. its not easy admitting it. :eek:

My son and i both have 5.0 GT's...mine is a 89 black car,5 speed,i bolted on a supercharger<kenne-bell> and a 3.55 gear and a few fuel mods..it runs 105 1/4's on street tires..My son has a 92 GT,with FMS 5.0 eng and 3.73 gear and a base vortech blowing 5 lbs..runs like mid 12's on dot. The nice thing about the cars are,they are daily drivers,no fuss no muss,and parts are a close as your local autozone..i think these things are the 55-57 chevrolet of the 2000's....

That's why I wouldn't mind having another one to beat on as a DD. They can be built 10 ways to Sunday, and still be driven every day. The fastest car I have owned was a Mustang....88 GT with a Vortech blown 347 stroker. Car would spin the radials at pretty much any speed below 100 mph....lol. Still had all the creature comforts though....a/c, cruise, full interior. It was my daily driver for quite a while as well. No drama, no fuss, just hit the key and go. At least it was painted a GM color....Navy Blue Metallic... :D Doesn't look like a 10 sec street car, does it....lol.

Carpics074.jpg

Carpics075.jpg

Fox body Stangs are one of my favorites. Years ago I put in TFS heads and B303 cam in a bud's LX notch, and I remember how easy it was to do....loved the pedestal mounted rockers! Just general maintenance was easier compared to my old 89 IROC.

I'd love to get an old LX with a turbo'd 347 but keep it stock looking. If I didn't get a GN that's what I would've bought instead....but don't tell anyone that! :biggrin:

well i see alot of guys coming out of the closet about likeing stangs :biggrin: i truly dont usually like them and never did,as i had a 68 and always was working on it,then got a 85 and had the same probs..so i went to gm,best move i did i might ad....but....my good buddy owns a 03 covertible,white with blue stripes and a scoop and we went to busch gardens 2 days ago and we all went back to his house,20 miles away to hang out with the kids and wifes...anyway he said to just take his mustang home and i have to admit it was nice,we both liked it alot..now my daughter (4 years old) kept saying"its not fast daddy"even when i got on it,shes pretty smart...anyway it was a nice ride and then yesterday we dropped the top and went out for a cruise..it was really a nice ride for sure,except for it being slow and no room inside,now the power i know could be fixed but the room inside was awefull...PABLO dont forget to go to busch gardens while your in town,its came along ways and has alot of really neat rides...

Searcher said:
So what were you wanting to know about that?

I wanted to eliminate the egr spacer totally since we dont plan on using egr. I found that we will need an egr delete spacer to take its place to hold the throttle bracket, and we can fool the ecm with some resistors on the egr plug.. or was it the evr? Its not a big deal anyway right now.

Going to start back on it tomorrow, gonna have to drop the steering rack to get to the oil pan it looks like. We allready have it unbolted but theres not alot of room. Im thinking we should have just yanked the engine to do all this but my buddy is pretty timid when it comes to this stuff since this is by far the most work hes ever done on any ride hes ever had.

Tommynos

I don't think ill make it out to busch gardens... that place is awesome though, I know... Last time I went was when the Kumba was a new ride and there were basically no lines. You could ride any ride as many times as you wanted.

slo86gn

mean ride man
reminds me of the cars I used to see at the street races

its too bad but you dont see that sort of thing anymore at all :(

tommynos said:
well i see alot of guys coming out of the closet about likeing stangs :biggrin: i truly dont usually like them and never did,as i had a 68 and always was working on it,then got a 85 and had the same probs..so i went to gm,best move i did i might ad....but....my good buddy owns a 03 covertible,white with blue stripes and a scoop and we went to busch gardens 2 days ago and we all went back to his house,20 miles away to hang out with the kids and wifes...anyway he said to just take his mustang home and i have to admit it was nice,we both liked it alot..now my daughter (4 years old) kept saying"its not fast daddy"even when i got on it,shes pretty smart...anyway it was a nice ride and then yesterday we dropped the top and went out for a cruise..it was really a nice ride for sure,except for it being slow and no room inside,now the power i know could be fixed but the room inside was awefull...PABLO dont forget to go to busch gardens while your in town,its came along ways and has alot of really neat rides...

I used to be a total GM guy. I bought new camaro's in 84 a 5.0 HO car and the first IROC-Z in 85...decent cars,slow really,,both ran about 15:15 at about 91...but when the newer camaro came out in 93,i drove them,and hated them..felt like i was driving inside a tunnel..and rode rough and seemed like poor materials and quality...I've bought several mustang GT's since,and not regreted it...they sound great,and are fun to drive..

I have had 8 Fox body stangs over the last 13 years. I have only been without a Mustang for maybe 2 months in that time.
They are super easy to make fast and the parts are not really expensive.
My current one is an 89 notch that was purchased for $1200 with 251k miles on it and a blown up AOD. I purchased a complete 5 speed set up out of a car a friend was parting out for $500. I did a quicky tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rtr, fuel filter) as well as jacking the timing. The car ran consistant 13.70's at 100-101 mph. This was with the stock 3.27 gears.
I then collected parts to build some power.
I bought a complete 99 Explorer 5.0 engine with 27k miles for $600 (sold off everything and made money on the deal) and saved the short block
Bought a used set of AFR 165's, used GT40 intake w/65 mm throttle body,
used shorty headers, used Vortech S Trim, used 42lb injectors and Pro M 80 mass air. I bought the cam new as well as gaskets, cat back exhaust etc nd had a Walbro 340 laying around that I put in the tank.
So far the car has put 558 horses to the rear wheels on 93 octane pump gas and 20° of total timing. I had to stop there because the car was out of fuel. Over the winter I have been doing the fuel system. The car should put closer to 600 to the rear wheels with the fuel system and more timing.
So far I have less than $7k into it which includes tires, some suspension pieces and parts to do the interior. Cant knock them as they are easy to work on and easy to get parts for.

GNVAIR said:
I have had 8 Fox body stangs over the last 13 years. I have only been without a Mustang for maybe 2 months in that time.
They are super easy to make fast and the parts are not really expensive.
My current one is an 89 notch that was purchased for $1200 with 251k miles on it and a blown up AOD. I purchased a complete 5 speed set up out of a car a friend was parting out for $500. I did a quicky tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rtr, fuel filter) as well as jacking the timing. The car ran consistant 13.70's at 100-101 mph. This was with the stock 3.27 gears.
I then collected parts to build some power.
I bought a complete 99 Explorer 5.0 engine with 27k miles for $600 (sold off everything and made money on the deal) and saved the short block
Bought a used set of AFR 165's, used GT40 intake w/65 mm throttle body,
used shorty headers, used Vortech S Trim, used 42lb injectors and Pro M 80 mass air. I bought the cam new as well as gaskets, cat back exhaust etc nd had a Walbro 340 laying around that I put in the tank.
So far the car has put 558 horses to the rear wheels on 93 octane pump gas and 20° of total timing. I had to stop there because the car was out of fuel. Over the winter I have been doing the fuel system. The car should put closer to 600 to the rear wheels with the fuel system and more timing.
So far I have less than $7k into it which includes tires, some suspension pieces and parts to do the interior. Cant knock them as they are easy to work on and easy to get parts for.

while we are on the mustang subject...are the explorer heads any good..i've heard that they are GT40's but cast iron...

Gn-ing said:
while we are on the mustang subject...are the explorer heads any good..i've heard that they are GT40's but cast iron...

The GT40P heads are what the mid year 97 through 2000 Explorer and Mountaineers use. They have the large 1.84 intake valves that the older iron GT40 heads had, but with a 1.46 exhaust valve that the standard E5,E6,E7 iron heads had (iron GT40's had 1.54 exhaust valves)
The difference on the P heads was the redesigned combustion chamber and relocated spark plug that moved closer to the center of the chamber.
The P heads outflow the old iron GT40's everywhere up to .500" lift.
But the down side to the P heads is that you need special headers because of the relocated spark plugs as well as customer wire set.
Most of the aftermarket heads run circles around the P heads, but there are guys who have made some good power with them.
The 96 and very early 97 Explorers and Mountaineers used the old iron GT40's which were also used on the 93-95 Cobras and 93-95 Lightning pick ups.

I too have a soft spot for mustangs, I owned 4 of them. Specificaly my 89 and 91 coups were my favorite. On my 89 coupe which at the time had an 86 short block with GT40P heads, FMS headers, H-pipe, Systemax Upper/lower Intake, 70mm T/B, stock gears, T-5 it ran 13.4 @ 107 on Pep Boy specials. The 86 engine has just a little more compression and in order to use the GT40P's I had to do pistion fly cut to utalize them....but the combo was proven pretty solid. Still regret ever selling this car, it was super clean and setting on weld drag lights. And then I bought a Turbo Buick, owned three of them sence:wink:

Hey Pablo - When you gettin back? Up for Racelegal 6 Jan? I'll be running it :)

GNVAIR said:
The GT40P heads are what the mid year 97 through 2000 Explorer and Mountaineers use. They have the large 1.84 intake valves that the older iron GT40 heads had, but with a 1.46 exhaust valve that the standard E5,E6,E7 iron heads had (iron GT40's had 1.54 exhaust valves)
The difference on the P heads was the redesigned combustion chamber and relocated spark plug that moved closer to the center of the chamber.
The P heads outflow the old iron GT40's everywhere up to .500" lift.
But the down side to the P heads is that you need special headers because of the relocated spark plugs as well as customer wire set.
Most of the aftermarket heads run circles around the P heads, but there are guys who have made some good power with them.
The 96 and very early 97 Explorers and Mountaineers used the old iron GT40's which were also used on the 93-95 Cobras and 93-95 Lightning pick ups.

what about the 95-96 V-8 explorer head?...aren't they the cast iron Gt-40 heads? would they be better than 89 Mustang GT heads?>