Friends GN vs. New Evo

Originally posted by Black Demon
Young lady I work with said her husband went to buy one of these things last week. Going to trade his 2002 Jetta..Called his wife and said, " Honey, it is only going to cost $626 per month"

Needless to say, he still has the VW:D

For a Lancer?? :eek: No way would I pay that much per month for one. That's almost as much as what I pay for my Suburban.

Originally posted by mister2
I heard it was a transverse mounted engine (like a fwd with a transfercase for the rear) so changing the clutch involves pulling the front transaxle. either way a pita job.

That would be correct. I had the kid pop the hood so we could get a look see at the heart of the cub (not a lion by any means!). She sits transversely just like a front driver. I don't know much about the drivelines in those 4WD cars, but they must be complicated to get the power to all fours.

Here nor there, I'll take my rear wheel drive simplistic domestic muscle any day of the week. :p

Evo's are definitely a worthy adversary....a local dyno put down around 240 to the wheels, and with a couple bucks in mods...she made 302whp/281ft-lbs. This was with a downpipe, air filter, boost controller set to 20psi, and an AFCII. I have a modded Gvr4 and just picked up a GN....frankly, my daily driven Galant vr4 will spank my GN in it's stock form. both cars alot of fun, I feel like I got the best of both worlds :D

Despite any amount of capability of speed, I vow to never own as a hotrod a car with a fwd platform. Or awd, if the engine is put in facing the WRONG !@$#@ way! American Motors made an awd car (Eagle) that had the engine correctly positioned. And that was in 1980. But hey, transverse fwd is more advanced, right? Sorry for the off topicapitulization.

Here in Sweden, especially the EVO4-EVO6 is cult among the japanes boys. The european versions sells with 280 hp. They do around 13.4-13.8 stock I think. But 0-60 is the Evo a hard match to beat on the street. Also almost every car intrested person in Sweden know what a Evo is.

Daniel

Taken from
Auto express magazine-the new mitsubishi Lancer Evolutin VIII delivers 276bhp,goes 0-62 mph in just 5.3 secs and is capale ofreaching speeds ov up to 157MPH. IT has a new6 speed manual transmission, improved aerodynamics and outstanding warranty. TheEvolution VII boasts enhanced acceleration and stability through the new Super active Yaw control system. And if this is not enough,for an additional 2000 pounds thee is the FQ300 upgrade,boosting power to 301BHP. price 26995 pounds.

Originally posted by fubar2.5
Taken from
... price 26995 pounds.

Yikes!!!! $44K for a Sh!tbox! Sure I'd think about one for $25K, but there are much better cars in the $44K range.

AWD Launches

Originally posted by mister2
I don't think you're supose to drop the clutch. You slip the hell out of the clutch if you want a good launch out of a manual tranny 4banger turbo. not as much shock to the drive train, you can hold higher rpm's and build boost faster esp. for AWD.

Yes you are right. I own a DSM ,and you would break everything behind the trans with dumping the clutch at high rpm's. From what I have read you ran againt a guy that did not know how to drive the car. If you spun a tire he should have put on a couple of cars on you. Turbo buicks are nice cars. Nice kill :)

Originally posted by fubar2.5
Taken from
Auto express magazine-the new mitsubishi Lancer Evolutin VIII delivers 276bhp,goes 0-62 mph in just 5.3 secs and is capale ofreaching speeds ov up to 157MPH. IT has a new6 speed manual transmission, improved aerodynamics and outstanding warranty. TheEvolution VII boasts enhanced acceleration and stability through the new Super active Yaw control system. And if this is not enough,for an additional 2000 pounds thee is the FQ300 upgrade,boosting power to 301BHP. price 26995 pounds.
The evo VIII is not avalable in the states.Only what they call the evo that has 271 hp, no yaw control, and a five speed not a six.Base price is around $29000 usd :)

Originally posted by onefastjackass
The evo VIII is not avalable in the states.Only what they call the evo that has 271 hp, no yaw control, and a five speed not a six.Base price is around $29000 usd :)

The EVO 8 is what you see on the streets now. I think that Evo 7 is the one with the driver's control center diff ,and yaw control.

Originally posted by whitetalon123
The EVO 8 is what you see on the streets now. I think that Evo 7 is the one with the driver's control center diff ,and yaw control.
Let me repet myself THE EVO VIII IS NOT AVALABLE IN THE STATES THE ONE YOU SEE IS JUST CALLED THE EVO!!!! IT HAS 271 HP HAS NO YAW CONTROL AND IS A FIVE SPEED!!!! IT IS NOT CALLED EVO VIII !!!!

Even though it is the 8th incarnation of this car.It is just called the evo in america because it is the first time it is avalable in the states so they didn't think they should call it the Evolution VIII just the Evolution!! :)

Originally posted by onefastjackass
Let me repet myself THE EVO VIII IS NOT AVALABLE IN THE STATES THE ONE YOU SEE IS JUST CALLED THE EVO!!!! IT HAS 271 HP HAS NO YAW CONTROL AND IS A FIVE SPEED!!!! IT IS NOT CALLED EVO VIII !!!!

Even though it is the 8th incarnation of this car.It is just called the evo in america because it is the first time it is avalable in the states so they didn't think they should call it the Evolution VIII just the Evolution!! :)

NO YOU ARE WRONG! I am sitting here with a Evolution 8 brochure
in front of me! It is a Evolution 8. Hey stick to turbo buicks!

EVO or EVO8 still it's true we dont get all the goodies we should have with the car.

No yaw control or 6 speed.

It's a nice car and I would love to own one but for near 30k no way! Car should cost 25K.

Originally posted by TwoLaneBlackTop
EVO or EVO8 still it's true we dont get all the goodies we should have with the car.

No yaw control or 6 speed.

It's a nice car and I would love to own one but for near 30k no way! Car should cost 25K.

I'm guessing yaw control and the 6 speed help to make it a $44K car in england.

I also looked up the difference between JIS HP and SAE HP and using the accepted conversion, 276 JIS HP = 271 SAE HP so it appears we are getting the SAME motor everyone else gets.

JIS HP is measured at 9 degrees F cooler ambient temperature (20 degrees C vs. 25 degrees C for SAE) and at a slightly higher amtospheric pressure than SAE.

Originally posted by rick cain
Despite any amount of capability of speed, I vow to never own as a hotrod a car with a fwd platform. Or awd, if the engine is put in facing the WRONG !@$#@ way! American Motors made an awd car (Eagle) that had the engine correctly positioned. And that was in 1980. But hey, transverse fwd is more advanced, right? Sorry for the off topicapitulization.

The AWD Eagle was the same car as the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Plymouth Laser. All of those cars had transverse mounted engines. The Evo has the same type of transverse setup as the Eagle/Eclipse/Laser. ERIC.:)

There's a gold EVO in FF2.

I would NEVER buy a Mitsubishi. Anyone wanna guess what Japanese company helped to financially back the 2nd World War? Give you a hint...they built the Zero.

Originally posted by Taffy
The AWD Eagle was the same car as the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Plymouth Laser. All of those cars had transverse mounted engines. The Evo has the same type of transverse setup as the Eagle/Eclipse/Laser. ERIC.:)
In the late seventys and early eightys the amc corporation made an eagle that had a traditional engine layout. The one you are thinking about was made in the late 80's early ninty's after amc was bought out by chrysler.I think the late 80's early 90's one you are refering to was called the eagle talon.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
There's a gold EVO in FF2.

I would NEVER buy a Mitsubishi. Anyone wanna guess what Japanese company helped to financially back the 2nd World War? Give you a hint...they built the Zero.
You know the sad part is that you can't hardly buy an american car nowdays.Even when you think you are buying one you probibly arn't.With the ford focus built in mexico.And with Mazda, and Isuzu producing engines transmissions and whole cars for them since the early 90's.Who knows what you are buying when buying a Ford.

So what about Chrysler correct the laser was a Mitsubishi and now they are owned by benz a german company.So once again who knows what kinda car you are buying or who you are supporting.

So you say what about GM .Gm supposidlymade a deal with honda to start using honda v6 engines in there cars as of this year.In the past the geo's were all jap cars toyota made the prizm.metro was jap the whole line was made overseas.Even the tracker is made in canada.Also i just saw in a magazine that pontiac is even going to use subaru drivetrains in some of the new offerings.

So as sad as it is.Buying american is almost impossible.

Mitsubishi designed and built the torpedos that were used at Pearl Harbor.... they were specially made to work in the shallow water. Hey, they still make a good bomb, we just drive them now. Are we going to hold a grudge against Merceded Benz and BMW for building gas chambers during WW2? maybe we should.