Friggin Leaks. Best Valve Cover Gasket

nickygn23

I understand that most turbo Buicks leak. I get it ,they are boosted.. Still its annoying. I have mine for years now and don't get me wrong I LOVE THAT CAR, but the leaks are getting to me. I have done both valve cover gaskets(one still leaks), A tranny seal, and oil pan gasket and finally a Neoprene main seal gasket. Still I see a coin shape drop of oil. My guess and its a guess mind you that its coming from the valve cover gasket. I'm what you would call Obsessive Compulsive but I think I'm not asking for much. Now all that said anybody have any ideas on what the best valve cover gasket? I have stock chromed valve covers. Had them off and they are straight as a pin.
Any advise would be great

Attachments

• 20161028_104903.jpg
    20161028_104903.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 20161029_111812.jpg
    20161029_111812.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 268
  • 20161029_111822.jpg
    20161029_111822.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
  • 20161028_090224.jpg
    20161028_090224.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • 20161028_104516.jpg
    20161028_104516.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
Fel Pro cork gaskets seem to work well on iron heads, but always leaked after a while on my Champion GN1's. Possibly due to the amount of oil the Scorpion stud mount rockers squirt out as opposed to the shaft mount T&D rockers on my iron heads. Also, the GN1's a higher oil level at the lower lip. I started using Fel Pro VS50156T steel reinforced rubber gaskets on the GN1 heads and they have not leaked a drop in 9 months.

I wana try the new cometic ones . Also TA makes thick cork ones that look like winners . Don't over torque them .

You say your covers are chromed.

If they have chrome plating on the lip where the gasket sits you will always have leaks no matter what gasket you use.

Sand off the plating on the lip and you will have no problems getting a good seal.

Yup, they go on dry and seal great. Since they are rigid they make putting the valve covers on a lot easier. They are reusable too.

Fel Pro cork gaskets seem to work well on iron heads, but always leaked after a while on my Champion GN1's. Possibly due to the amount of oil the Scorpion stud mount rockers squirt out as opposed to the shaft mount T&D rockers on my iron heads. Also, the GN1's a higher oil level at the lower lip. I started using Fel Pro VS50156T steel reinforced rubber gaskets on the GN1 heads and they have not leaked a drop in 9 months.
Thanks for the advice. I was actually buying gaskets this week for my new VC's. I did'nt know these existed.

I ran the same set of plain jane FelPro corks on my car from '98 when I bought it until I built my 4.1 earlier this year. The only reason I swapped them was because I messed one up while the engine was apart.

The trick is to glue them to the valve covers and snug them in place. After they set up, snug the bolts down. Do that every day or so until the 'learn' they exact shape of the head casting. After that, they're married up and seal just fine.

I'm glad I didn't know the torque spec is less than 4 pounds.

I'd have oil all over my manifolds.

Not a drop from mine at spec , but I check them regularly .

Ok I installed mine today. Best VC gasket by far. I'm not sure if stock heads have the flat machined boss where the VC meets the head but Champs do and really makes a good seal.

I put a set of the rubber felpros on in '94ish, removed valve covers several times over the years and reused them. Used black rtv to "glue" them to the valve covers. When I built my motor several years ago I bought a new set for my tall valve covers. No leaks yet! If I replace them they will be the steel core.