Front Mount Intercooler?

V

V8KILLR@msn.com

I just got a PTE front mount. I was talking to Jack Cotton and he says that his works a little better. I was just looking to hear what people think. What is the best front mount out there? Is Jack right, and should I send the PTE back?

I'm looking to go 10 sec in the 1/4 mile in about 1 year. So I'm starting to put things together.

Jack is my preferred vendor but I doubt you will see $500.00 worth of difference with it in ET so keep what you have in-hand.

of coure he said his was better. what do ya think PTE will tell ya if you ask them if theirs is better than jacks? keep yours. ive seen PTE FMIC's go into the 10's before on other cars.

Did I miss the pics of Jack IC,,I have been reading for months about this IC Jack has ,,but are there pics of this bad boy

Show me the pics:D

I have heard that the Cas and Jacks are very similiar. PTE a tiny bit smaller on the flow numbers.

Here's my personal thoughts on this.
This year at BG, I borrowed my best friends spare PTE IC he had on his other 87 T. This IC was about 4 months old when I installed it on my own car. In the past, I ran the EP front mount, but I can tell you this, if the PTE would have been available back then, I would have gone with it instead, actually, PTE released theirs about 3 months after I got my old EP fm. Installation with the PTE only took about 30 minutes. Need proof that it works, well, my best pass this year was a 9.90 @ a lifting 128. I have no doubt that this IC will continue to support me with my high 9 second goals. IMHO, for the best IC on the market, and for the money, you can't go wrong with the PTE FM.
Some of you might say, "Well he's only saying that because he works for PTE" remember, I didn't always work here, and I've known about the benifits of the PTE vs the others for quiet awhile now.
Anywho, this is just my O2's worth.

Patrick

Actually, Jacks and PTE's ic are closer as they are both bar and plate. Just flip a coin between those two, they will perform the same as they are similar in size. Keep your PTE, it will do 10's and go into the 9's like you saw, even though the smaller core is not efficient there.

Who knows now what the ESP ic core is. As someone from there came on saying it was not tube and fin, or extruded tube yet was 96% efficient. What the???

As for CAS piece being like Jacks, well. One designs his own and uses extruded tube, the other copies and uses the cheaper, and older technology bar and plate. One has flow numbers, ALL the others do not.

Keep the PTE.

here we go again....................................:D

Actually, Jacks and PTE's ic are closer as they are both bar and plate. Just flip a coin between those two, they will perform the same as they are similar in size. Keep your PTE, it will do 10's and go into the 9's like you saw, even though the smaller core is not efficient there.

What are your perfrmance comparisons based on??? (and i stress comparison.

As for CAS piece being like Jacks, well. One designs his own and uses extruded tube, the other copies and uses the cheaper, and older technology bar and plate. One has flow numbers, ALL the others do not.

Again flow #'s are fine, but mean nothing if they haven't been compared t someone elses. If no one had ever flowed a head, and i told you min flowed 100/100, i could claim that was the best.Lets see some CAS flows 1,000,000 and Cottons only flows 800,000,000 and Cas's MAT #'s (at the intake) are only 800,000,000 degrees ferenheit compared to Cottons 1,000,000 degrees ferenheit.

I am not disclaiming what you are saying, but i don't think even Tony has proof of who's is better.

they will perform the same as they are similar in size
Last time i aw a PTE unit,Cottons looked to be about 25% bigger, but that is just gong by my eye. Cottons is a little bigger than V1 to give you an idea.

Now for the good part.....How hard is it to get a hold of CAS to order one??? How hard is it to get it shipped to you when you need it?? when it says it is going to be delivered??? Tech support there??? I know i left CAS 3 emails trying to purchase a S2 oil pan. I was told they would be ready in a week, tried 2 e-mails 1 and 2 weeks later with no responses. I try to take care of people who take care of me, and i wasn't taken care of. I don't want to hear any more lame excuses, he's used them all up.

I am sending back or selling the PTE to a friend. I'm going to get Jacks!!!! He has NEVER been anything but straight up with me. He has told me things not to buy for my setup that would have made him money. So when Jacks says that his works better, I'm going to go with that.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I will take pics of the intercooler when I get it and put them up (Going to get it in about 2-3 weeks).

Jason

Originally posted by RUQWKNF
Here's my personal thoughts on this.
This year at BG, I borrowed my best friends spare PTE IC he had on his other 87 T. This IC was about 4 months old when I installed it on my own car. In the past, I ran the EP front mount, but I can tell you this, if the PTE would have been available back then, I would have gone with it instead, actually, PTE released theirs about 3 months after I got my old EP fm. Installation with the PTE only took about 30 minutes. Need proof that it works, well, my best pass this year was a 9.90 @ a lifting 128. I have no doubt that this IC will continue to support me with my high 9 second goals. IMHO, for the best IC on the market, and for the money, you can't go wrong with the PTE FM.
Some of you might say, "Well he's only saying that because he works for PTE" remember, I didn't always work here, and I've known about the benifits of the PTE vs the others for quiet awhile now.
Anywho, this is just my O2's worth.

Patrick

First let me say I agree with Patrick;)

$ for $ and design the PTE has proven itself over and over on many cars.
My car has gone 9.20's-9.30's at 3700# with the standard PTE frount mount before there was any need to change.

The original question I believe was "is Jacks better" and should he send the PTE back?

My response to him is: if the PTE supported more than 900++hp in my car before I even thought of doing something different.
Why spend more money for any other intercooler if the one you now have is more than you will ever need.
For a 10 sec. or for that matter a mid 9 sec car does not need the larger intercoolers produced by others, including the double PTE cooler that I currently run.

I am not knocking CAS or J.C., they also have fine products, but if you can save $ and meet or exceed your goals, use that extra $ towards other goodies.

So I say to him keep what you have, its a geat piece, costs less, and btw it's very easy to install.

Joe

P.S.---I have run the PTE before I worked for them, during the time I worked for them, and will still run one, even though I don't work for them now.
:eek:

I don't think that at mid 10's thre would be any performance diference between the 2. I think they are all proven IC's, and when you are in the mid 10's with a FM it comes down to convienence, the look you like, and customer service, and i think out of the 3 vendors mentioned here, 2 have both.

Why don't we do a test ourselves, I have an ATR FM, polished pipes and intercooler (nothing to do in the winter, so out with the sandpaper). I have my MAT in the uppipe. On a 70 degree day, 50-110mph blast, 18-19# boost, 60-1 bb turbo, the MAT went from 71 degrees to 108 degrees in that time frame (DS) I can't tell you the CFM as I don't know. Now, if we keep it HONEST we could probably get some good info. I think everyone wants to know how well they all cool, cause we all know all of them are capable of 10 sec perfomance CFM wise. Putting the MAT in the uppipe is probably a good idea for everyone anyway for it will give the computer a much better look at what the engine REALLY sees for air temp. I know differant turbos will be hotter than others but it should give us a ball park estimate of how good each intercooler cools. Remember HONESTY is the key here!!! NO B.S. ALLOWED!

Ok I'll post mine. Also it would be good to test the pressure drop across the IC as well, its a very easy test to perform as I have just completed that myself.
At 25 psi I got 150* going 128mph on a 79* day. Pressure drop was no more than 1 psi. This with an old Kenny Duttweiler front mount. Not bad But i think I can do better cooling wise........

I'll work on the pressure drop on mine. If we all do this relatively the same, this could get pretty interesting. Provided reliable info!

I know Daryl Reigel who publishes a well known news letter, tested PTE, J.C., E.P. and possibly other intercoolers on the same car.
Did He ever publish his findings??

Joe

Originally posted by RealFastV6
http://members.cox.net/realfastv6/jcfm1.jpg

Same size as a PTE my ass.

Like I said before,,this IC of JC's has been out for 6months give or take a few,,and I have yet to see a picture of this thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ,I like the pic of the front of your car..looks like mine:D :D :D :eek:

The finding were NOT published just yet. The latest newsletter (which I just got) said they will be in the next issue. Probably a while off though.