Front mount intercoolers..

REGALTURBO

I Am The Master..Master..
I`m looking to upgrade to a front mount intercooler. I`d like some recommendations on who makes the best fitting intercooler and the most efficient.

VERY EASY ANSWER

THE VENDOR--------------------------------------

Jack Cotton.

Legendary "extra-mile" Customer Service.

www.cottonsperformance.com

THE INTERCOOLER------------------------------

Largest FM.

Least restrictive (regarding keeping motor temps down).

Rated #1 by the Source, in the only major unit-to-unit Intercooler
comparison.
=============================

HTH :)

The best bang for your buck FM intercooler IMO is the PTE www.precisionte.com unit and I say that because now you can buy it from them for $895 according to this thread........

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93120

Also keep in mind that the PTE FM has been proven to run 9.20's @150mph on a 3700lb TR.... As far as fitting goes it fits very well and it's very easy to install as I have seen....

HTH:cool:

Both intercoolers mentioned above are really good units.

I do think that for the money, you cant beat the Powerstroke intercooler.

There are a number of posts on this and you can search for them too.

You would spend maybe $500 to do it ( that might be on the high side) and from all reports, it works really well.

CAS V1 would be the most efficient as its the only one that uses an extruded tube core. But considering you can not get one and the fact that CAS is not doing really well with customer service related issues, I would go with the largest bar and plate core out there.

So, if that means Cottons is the largest bar and plate core, than that would be my next choice.

Not to highjack the thread but has anyone looked into having one built to specific dimensions? Bigger intercoolers could be made for under $650. I was thinking about this but thought having the connecting hoses made would be a royal pain.

IMO, go with the Precision unit. Exceptional unit, that won't overheat the car like a CAS unit will.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen... I will take all this info into consideration. I`ve spoken to Cotton and his seems like its the best although at a little more cost. I`ve got a new Ford F-450 and opened the hood to look at the intercooler. This thing is huge. How in the heck are guys fitting this thing in the Buicks. Seems as though alot of modifications are required. I`ve located one at a friends salvage yard for $400.00 but I`m thinking would it be worth spending about double the money for one that will take less time to install and be alot less hassle? Opinions??

A lot of cutting is required to make the Powerstroke FM intercooler fit and IMO it's just not worth it.... Mainly because you can spend $400-$500 more for a FM and it fits nicely without doing a hack job as well as the fact that both Cotton's and the PTE FM are both way more efficient than the Powerstroke unit (and before anybody brings it up yes I know REDS HOT AIR ran 10.41 @133mph with the Powerstroke FM)......

Originally posted by 86brick
both way more efficient than the Powerstroke unit (and before anybody brings it up yes I know REDS HOT AIR ran 10.41 @133mph with the Powerstroke FM)......

no data to prove that

buttttt I bet ford has more money to do research on a product than PTE and Jack put together

I do know that when I did go to a track with my car while other turbo regals where icing there i/c's and stuff down I was making pass after pass and never heat soaked my i/c

my last outing I went 14 passes back to back and never even shut the car down between most of the runs and woulda run more had the tranny not broke

kinda cool to do that in a low 10 sec. car

you can buy brand new powerstroke i/c's in the $250 range need to tell someone at that salvage yard that wants $400 for one

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
no data to prove that

buttttt I bet ford has more money to do research on a product than PTE and Jack put together

I do know that when I did go to a track with my car while other turbo regals where icing there i/c's and stuff down I was making pass after pass and never heat soaked my i/c

my last outing I went 14 passes back to back and never even shut the car down between most of the runs and woulda run more had the tranny not broke

kinda cool to do that in a low 10 sec. car

you can buy brand new powerstroke i/c's in the $250 range need to tell someone at that salvage yard that wants $400 for one

Red until somebody runs a Powerstroke FM intercooler into the low 9's with a full weight TR like has been done with the PTE and Cotton's unit I won't believe that it is just as efficient and after looking at the Powerstroke on a TR down here I must say the core seems rather thin compared to a PTE FM that I've seen..... I would bet that if you put a Cotton or PTE FM on your car under basically the same tune and conditions that you would see a gain..... I would also guess that the MAT #'s would be lower with the PTE or Cotton's FM compared to the MAT #'s you'd see with the Powerstroke FM without a doubt, but it would be nice to see somebody actually do a test like this on a car such as yours.... Also keep in mind that both the PTE FM and the Cotton FM are actually Spearco cores and I'd bet that Spearco can build a better core than Ford:D

lol. send me a stage 2 motor and I'll try it :D

let me know if you need an adress to send it to :cool:

I'm nowhere near the limit of the i/c just out of motor .....for now ;)

sell your stock block cause it wont go low 9's either :p

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
lol. send me a stage 2 motor and I'll try it :D

let me know if you need an adress to send it to :cool:

I'm nowhere near the limit of the i/c just out of motor .....for now ;)

sell your stock block cause it wont go low 9's either :p

Red, I know the limits of the stock block very well, however, that is not the point........ I think it's safe to say you will never see a low 9 second full weight Stage II TR using a Powerstroke FM intercooler and there is a reason for that! I'm sure if somebody would compare the MAT #'s of a low 10 second car like yours using a Powerstroke FM and then a PTE FM or the Cotton FM you would see how inefficient your Powerstroke is!

BTW, my stock block could go low 9's if my car was like 2600lbs;) :D :p

FM Intercoolers

Hey Guys I just spoke to CAS, And they seemed ok w/cust service. And just to let you know you can still get the V1.....:confused:

You give him your $1000 and let us know when you get it........:rolleyes:

Red until somebody runs a Powerstroke FM intercooler into the low 9's with a full weight TR like has been done with the PTE and Cotton's unit I won't believe that it is just as efficient and after looking at the Powerstroke on a TR down here I must say the core seems rather thin compared to a PTE FM that I've seen..... I would bet that if you put a Cotton or PTE FM on your car under basically the same tune and conditions that you would see a gain..... I would also guess that the MAT #'s would be lower with the PTE or Cotton's FM compared to the MAT #'s you'd see with the Powerstroke FM without a doubt, but it would be nice to see somebody actually do a test like this on a car such as yours.... Also keep in mind that both the PTE FM and the Cotton FM are actually Spearco cores and I'd bet that Spearco can build a better core than Ford:D
I am on red's side 110% --bought a powerstroke on ebay for $225 brand new --took good 2-3 days to get it installed but now the car run's cooler (had a stock location before with 2 1/2 neck)and mat stays 60-70 and rarely hits 80 degrees.Have not done any track test yet -tranny problems but I know the car spools like crazy now so will see.If anyone wants some pic's of the installation let me know.

Hey Guys I just spoke to CAS, And they seemed ok w/cust service. And just to let you know you can still get the V1.....

Dude you should be given a medal just for being able to contact CAS!! Put it this way, Ramchargers which bought out Modern Muscle Car is his #1 vendor and has been for years (via modern muscle) they are on a 6 month wait for intercoolers from CAS. Which I have been told is delayed even still. They have been waiting for 8 months now on their current order of V1's!!:eek:
Most of the time CAS's mailbox is full or they wont answer their phone and the voicemail is full. Sometimes the Only way to get in touch is to visit them in person.

IMO, go with the Precision unit. Exceptional unit, that won't overheat the car like a CAS unit will

I disagree w/t this as I have exclusively used CAS units and have NEVER overheated. Try ATR's FM if you want to see overheating problems.
I do agree w/t DR.BOOSTER that the CAS V1 is the most effecient FM air-air intercooler. It was not included in the test that "the Source" conducted.

Frank

Red, I know the limits of the stock block very well, ;) :D :p

ok so we agree that a lil over 700 hp at the crank is about as far as you can keep the heads on a stock block if the bottom stays together

so why on a car with a motor only capable of making very little more power than what I make need a i/c for a 800+ hp motor ?

like I said I'm nowhere near out of intercooler if so then it would atleast warm my uppipe up duran a 133 mph pass thru the 1/4 but yet I can stop at the ticket booth after a run and my uppipe is cool to touch :)