Front sway bar

IMQUIK

Hey guys, going to replace the front sway bar bushings. Need to know what size is the factory sway bar and what are the best bushings to go with? Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• P8300003b.jpg
    P8300003b.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Pa080001b.jpg
    Pa080001b.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 480
Any suggestion on what brand. What would be the best for the money? Thanks, Mike

Thanks for the part number. As for the paint, I the car sat up for three years underneath a plastic tarp and rubbed the crap out of the paint. I water sanded the car with 3m finishing compound and waxed it with meguiar's. Now I use meguiar's quik wax and quik detailer. Its the best that I have found. Thanks

Wow someone with a clean car who actually shares the details about what they use! Thanks for the info.

Great looking car! You may already know this, but if you're taking the front bar off by yourself, be very careful that you don't strip the threads in the frame when removing the bolts. The frame threads are very thin, and the bolts in the bracket are special. If you allow the sway bar's weight to pull on the bracket at all while the bolts are being loosened, the bolts can pull right out, taking the threads with them. I would support the bar with jack stands while removing it (if I had it to do over again). Ask me how I know all this while I add "stripped frame threads" to the description of my car.

Thanks for the warning, I wil use a jack when I do them. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• PA080003b.jpg
    PA080003b.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 439
I purchased the MOOG K5248 from Summitt (backordered) and they are too tall. Seems like the local parts stores bushings are too tall as well. I've checked my bracket with other turboregals and they are all the same height. I can't find a replacement sway bar bushing that is the right height.

Has anyone else had a difficult time finding the right replacement bushings?

Anyone know of a source for the right bushings?

Thanks,
-john

I took out my front sway bar a long time ago and haven't looked back. With the larger rear bar, the car actually handles better on the street.

YEAH REALLY! Many people don't know about this trick. I know my car better than my own body and I can tell you it honestly handles better without the front bar and with the larger rear bar. Plus you clean up the front engine bay better and shed some weight.

How did you repair it? Mine has a "chunk" taken out of one thread,and I was thinking of a washer and nut for the time being. Both bars were off the car when I got it, but I have replacements for both.

YEAH REALLY! Many people don't know about this trick. I know my car better than my own body and I can tell you it honestly handles better without the front bar and with the larger rear bar. Plus you clean up the front engine bay better and shed some weight.

Well when I was buying front end parts for my now sold Stage II car I contacted Savitski and told them I had a thick aftermarket sway bar. I had bought there upper/lower control arms and bushings and they told me to remove the bigger sway bar and put the stock one back on cause the geometry is now changed and the larger sway bar would actually make it handle worse.

So with the stock control arms which aren't designed very well to begin with from what Savitski told me I could see removing it for better handling. I never really found out one way or the other cause I sold it before I had a chance to drive it but I'll keep that in mind for the next one some day whenever that will be.....:rolleyes:

The front factory sway bar is plenty big and that is the reason that even people into handling never go larger than the factory front.
FWIW, I was in a buddy's '87 GN once when he had removed the front sway bar and after going in a freeway off ramp corner, I would never get in a car again without a front bar. I know that the standard claim is that with the HRpartsNstuff race bar a front bar is not needed, but that's pretty much the drag racers saying that. And yes, you do lose some weight that way, no doubt about it. But not for me, thanks.

The Moog K5248 bushings were$12.48 at the local parts store, tax included...
But, after getting them home, they do seem too tall, and the bar diameter seems too big.
Any ideas?

The front factory sway bar is plenty big and that is the reason that even people into handling never go larger than the factory front.
FWIW, I was in a buddy's '87 GN once when he had removed the front sway bar and after going in a freeway off ramp corner, I would never get in a car again without a front bar. I know that the standard claim is that with the HRpartsNstuff race bar a front bar is not needed, but that's pretty much the drag racers saying that. And yes, you do lose some weight that way, no doubt about it. But not for me, thanks.

Yea, seems to be several schools of thought on this subject. I cant speak from experience but I guess like many things some swear by it, other swear at the idea.

Good stuff here.
I was all set to go out and buy a larger front bar. Guess I'll save the dough, keep the front and do the rear instead!