fuel line question

straycat990

this might be a dumb question ...but here it goes.

Is it okay to use aluminum tubing for the return line? I am looking to upgrade my fuel system and that 5/16s return line that is there has to go. I am planning to upgrade it to 3/8s and I figure that using aluminum tubing will be a weight savings vs -6 an braided hose.

You could use your stock 3/8 feed line as the return line and run a new -10 line from the pump to the rail. That's the way I did it.

Dave

Originally posted by straycat990
this might be a dumb question ...but here it goes.

Is it okay to use aluminum tubing for the return line? I am looking to upgrade my fuel system and that 5/16s return line that is there has to go. I am planning to upgrade it to 3/8s and I figure that using aluminum tubing will be a weight savings vs -6 an braided hose.

Not a dumb question at all.... I don't see how much of a weight savings that would equate to, not knocking you at all, but maybe a pound or two? I think it would be okay to run aluminum. It's definitely cheaper. What pump are you running? I think some manufacturers recommend a certain size return line based on what your pump will flow. :)

Fuel pumps consist of one in the tank 340 and one inline 340. going to have the inline pump draw its supply from the bottom rear of the tank. Going to run 6 an from each pump to a y fuel block and then 8 an to the fuel rail.

aluminum line

The only concern I would have on an aluminum line is wearing. I would just be afraid of at some point somehow...getting a hole worn thru it from a broken bracket or something. Like Stu said, I dont think the weight savings would really affect your time, and certainly not a dumb question :)

thanks for the input fellows, I am just going to leave that alumium tubing on the shelf and use some aeroquip startlite hose for the return line.