Fuel pressure supply/regulator question

Beamer

Fuel pressure regulator.jpg
OK,

I am not getting the fuel pressure that I want under boost. I saw only 58 at 25Lbs boost with base of 43. It should have been 68, and I am sure it was under 60. I am running the Denso pump and thought it would not be the problem and I wanted to check voltages to the pump. I probed into the pump feed out of the relay of the hotwire relay and saw 13.7 volts. I then adjusted my pressure regulator up manually and was able to take it to 80PSI and I then checked the volatge which was 13.6 volts. I believe the pump is adequately supplied with power and is capable of the pressure.

I recently replaced the fuel filter with a new Wix brand and had no change in ability to maintain safe A/F numbers with my car. I am curious if anyone has had issues like I am facing, and what is thought. Attached is the regulator that I am running.

I have the Racetronix bulkhead replacement harness for the Denso pump and the sock is attached to the pump.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Mike

Any kinks in the line or pinches? Did you check with another gauge.

Leaking at the short hose between the pump and the hanger? Did you cut the reduced nipple off the hanger tube, B4 installing the pump?

Pressurize the regulator via shop air through an air regulator to the regulator and tee in a good accurate gauge for the air pressure. See if it's 1:1 while idling.

Sounds like the regulator is the culprit. Do the test that bison posted and it will give away the ghost before your start dropping the tank and chasing elsewhere.

I was thinking of exactly what Bison suggested and am glad to see him suggest that.

Has anyone else seen a pressure regulator do this before ? Drop off of a 1:1 increase ? I believe there is a membrane in the regulator, could it be comprimised? Possibly rebuilt? Or should I get a new unit if I find it not raising fuel pressure at the proper rate.

Thanks again all !

Mike

Chuck,

I had the tank down a while back and had noticed the hose was short. I replaced the hose and installed double clamps. I am sure it is good. Thanks !

Mike

whats your MPH?
from your sig " 10.8 still needing traction help" ...might be time for a double pumper

The 10.8 was with my old PT-54 turbo and a weak wastegate with 24 Lbs boost. That turbo went out and I replaced with the CPT60 turbo and have not been back to a track. I need to iron this out and get it tuned better before doing that, lol...

Mike

Your voltage is good at idle. Are you able to check it with the engine spinning high rpm? What I'm getting at is eliminating a possible bad alternator at high rpm as a culprit.

I looked at my data logs and the voltage looks good through the entire range. Great point though.

Mike

Well, I got my neighbors air compressor yesterday which has a pressure regulator. I took a hose and T'd it off to the fuel regulator and boost gauge only so I knew exactly what the pressure was. I started with a 43 Lb base and the fuel pressure went up at a 1:1 rate with air pressure. At 27 Lbs air, I had 70 Lbs fuel pressure.

Now it sounds like my fuel pump is not capable of delivering the quantity of fuel needed. I feel Pacecarta is correct and that is what I was thinking originally, but I had to test and be sure that was the situation. It is looking like double pumper time.

Mike

Well, I got my neighbors air compressor yesterday which has a pressure regulator. I took a hose and T'd it off to the fuel regulator and boost gauge only so I knew exactly what the pressure was. I started with a 43 Lb base and the fuel pressure went up at a 1:1 rate with air pressure. At 27 Lbs air, I had 70 Lbs fuel pressure.

Now it sounds like my fuel pump is not capable of delivering the quantity of fuel needed. I feel Pacecarta is correct and that is what I was thinking originally, but I had to test and be sure that was the situation. It is looking like double pumper time.

Mike
Get a volt booster. You should have one any way,no matter what pump or pumps you use. I like the boost activated volt booster that Red Armstrong sells. If your pressure rise condition improves with the volt booster,you'll know that the pump is the culprit. It will flow a lot more with the two extra volts if it is good.