Fuel Pressure?

Mike Mags

I'm a bit new to GNs , I bought the car witha TE44, and blue top injectors. Larger fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump ( don't know exactly what brand they are.
I just orderd a fuel pressure gadge from Kirbans.
What should my fuel pressure be set at?
Strictly street driven.

Thanks guys

Mike, you didn't say what chip you are using. Alot depends on that, I run a thrasher 92 street chip and it has to be set at 45 to run correctly. Post what chip your running and I'm sure someone could tell you the right pressure.

Mike,

You should note that when people talk about what fuel pressure they run, they are talking about "static fuel pressure" which simply means you disconnect the vacuum hose from the regulator, set the pressure, and then reapply the hose. The reading on your gauge is rail pressure that has to overcome boost or is helped by vacuum. Accordingly, under boost your fuel pressure will read Static fuel pressure + Boost pressure.

In general, it is common for fuel injectors to be rated at 3 barometric pressures (a.k.a. 3-BAR) which is equivalent to 43.5psi. It is also common for fuel pressures on a Turbo Regal to be set at 43.5. People frequently use a little more fuel pressure (~45) to get a little more out of their fuel injectors.

The chip that is in there is a burnd chip that says " 92 oct 36# street" thats all it says on it.

Let me get this straight....When i adjust the fuel pressure, I should always adjust the pressure with the vaccum line off?
should the pressure be adjusted with car running or off?

I know this is an old thread however I have done this on a couple of other older threads and some great folks chimed in to give me some advice. On a hot air car, does that same static fuel pressure (45~) apply?
Thanks to anybody who chimes in on this!

I also had another question with regards to mounting my fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. I purchased a liquid filled gauge so it is OK if it does eventually go on me however it is nice for the meantime while it to the car and I’m just gonna leave it on there. But I’m not exactly sure how to mount it, i’ve heard lots of people doing different things but I want to do it right. I did see that there is a Schrader valve on my fuel rail and wondered what I needed to mount it to that properly. Like what are the fittings called exactly? Are they SAE? JIC? Or some other special fitting?

I also had another question with regards to mounting my fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. I purchased a liquid filled gauge so it is OK if it does eventually go on me however it is nice for the meantime while it to the car and I’m just gonna leave it on there. But I’m not exactly sure how to mount it, i’ve heard lots of people doing different things but I want to do it right. I did see that there is a Schrader valve on my fuel rail and wondered what I needed to mount it to that properly. Like what are the fittings called exactly? Are they SAE? JIC? Or some other special fitting?
Other than if you just like the looks of it, a rail mounted fuel pressure gauge is only good for setting idle fuel pressure (which you really won't fiddle with very often once set) and they also tend to be inaccurate anyway. It can also become a source of leaks which could start a fire. However, if you must have one, if memory serves its a 1/8" NPT. Most FP gauges require removal of the schrader valve, although Kirban sells one that can you can leave the schrader valve in.

Casper's sells the fitting too. Just don't use one of those colorful red black or blue fittings made by Earl. They leak in no time.

Never been a fan of the well known adapters.

The only adapter I think looks and works like a champ is from Racetronix in the link below. Don't let the fact that they are in Canada deter you. Their shipping rates are very competitive.

I know this is an old thread however I have done this on a couple of other older threads and some great folks chimed in to give me some advice. On a hot air car, does that same static fuel pressure (45~) apply?
Thanks to anybody who chimes in on this!
The fuel pressure is dictated by the tune/chip and should follow the setting of the chip maker.

On an *real* aftermarket ECU, the FP target possibilities are endless.

Hope that helps.