Fuel pump not working

Elmer Sampson

I parked my car in the garage last fall, up on the lift, to keep it dryer on the concrete floor. It drove in. I went to start it today and the fuel pump is not turning on when I try to start. There is power to the relay but no power coming out to the tank. Pump works by hot wiring to the wire going to the pump. Is this a ground issue or where do I start looking? I don't know much about electrics. Have had car for 2 years with no problem. It has the hotwire kit on it, but I don't know how to trace problem. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Sounds like the relay is bad or I am reading it wrong. I keep a spare relay in my car.

I went to the garage today, got in & turned the key & it started up right away. Must have been a dampness problem somewhere. I did change the relay yesterday, but that didn't fix it, so now I have a spare. Thanks for the input & help. It's been a very cold winter here.

Good deal yea those hot wire kits can be a little squirrely sometimes. Can the connectors with electra clean and put dielectric grease on all connections.

Which relay did you change ? The hot wire relay or the factory relay up front , because the factory relay turns on the hot wire relay .

I changed the relay on left front inner fender, Don't even know where the other one is. Like I said, these cars are a different animal for me, everything was installed before I bought it, so there are so many hidden items & wiring going everywhere, its hard to trace them. I thank everyone with the help, so I'm sure something else will occur & I will be back on here again looking for help.

If what you replaced didn't fix the problem and it started right up the next day. There is still a problem somewhere and will show up again when you least expect it. The relay for the hot wire kit should be back by the gas tank and should be easily seen,at least that is where mine is,i have the Racetronics hot wire kit but it's a few years old.

I try to fix things on the car in the garage that i know of that could cause me a problem and leave me broke down on the road somewhere. Much better working conditions that way.