Fuel pump relay

The fuel pump hardly ever fails check power at the rear on the drivers side under the bumper. What problems you got?

If the pump does not prime the system for 3 seconds when key is turned on, then the relay could be functioning intermitantly. I just went through this and relaced the relay and solved it. My problem was hard starting intermitantly. It would prime sometimes and then not at all. $10 for the relay.
Mitch

I've got an intermittent hard start problem too and replaced basically everything except the relay.

It's located on the RH side fender apron next to the ESC module. See if it's clicking on and then off after 3 seconds of turning the key on. You should be able to hear it and feel it clicking. If not the oil pressure switch will make the pump run after sensing enough oil pressure since it closes the circuit. This will give you long cranking times.

By design its suppost to shut down the fuel delivery circuit due to extremely low or no oil pressure.
Mitch

I picked up a new relay today, do I need to disconnect the battery to change it or just unhook it and put the new one on? I replaced the fan delay once before but didn't disconnect the battery.. just wondering if it's necessary.

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure before I blew something out.... :D

Also, the relay that's in there now gets really hot after driving for a bit... does that mean it's gone south?

Thanks again!!

Originally posted by buickboy
By design its suppost to shut down the fuel delivery circuit due to extremely low or no oil pressure.
Mitch
Actually Mitch this will only work to save the motor if the FP relay was in-fact bad and not operating. If it's working fine it won't kill the pump if you lose oil pressure.

Originally posted by Ken87GN
Also, the relay that's in there now gets really hot after driving for a bit... does that mean it's gone south?
It probably could if it's shorted internally.

BTW, now that I think about it.. it might be the 2nd relay away from the ESC module on the RH side. I would check then numbers to be sure.