Fuel pump sucking with RCI fuel cell

Scott Atk

The attached pic is the fuel cell that fits the best for my application. My question is, I've always thought that an external pump should be mounted below the fuel level to allow for a gravity feed. This pump has the outlet on top with a tube that goes to the bottom of the cell. If I semi-sunk this cell in my trunk, could I mount an external pump (thinking Fuelab right now) on the trunk floor and expect it to pull the fuel up from the bottom of the cell? There has to be pumps out there
rci cell.jpg
or this style cell wouldn't exist right?

Weird, I posted a reply yesterday scott...

Either way I had a setup like this (not a cell but an aluminum tank) in my 69 camaro with an external fuel pump mounted in the trunk feeding a 502. It was a holley pump and I ran a return line, no idea if that makes a difference or not. The pump was probably 2 feet above the bottom of the tank and I had it that way for 3-4 years. Its been almost 7 years now and I know the guy who owns it, he is running it the same way.

Dave, was your 502 fuel injected? I've been conversing with Josh from Fuelab and he's saying it wouldn't be ideal but would work as long as the pickup is -10. Of course my pickup is -8. I haven't really even considered a Weldon since I've always heard them coming long before seeing them. I plan on putting lots of street miles on this car and a quiet pump is a priority. I might just go with the Racetronix 430 in tank setup and one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metco-MFC3000-Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Adapter-Fuel-Cells-/380533880186

Dave, was your 502 fuel injected? I've been conversing with Josh from Fuelab and he's saying it wouldn't be ideal but would work as long as the pickup is -10. Of course my pickup is -8. I haven't really even considered a Weldon since I've always heard them coming long before seeing them. I plan on putting lots of street miles on this car and a quiet pump is a priority. I might just go with the Racetronix 430 in tank setup and one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metco-MFC3000-Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Adapter-Fuel-Cells-/380533880186

I'm running the fuelab 42401 and it's far from quiet. A lower hp pump may be quieter, but not what I would consider daily driver quiet. Mine is mounted on isolation mounts with rubber between the pump and mount and it's mounted under the trunk and i was still suprised at how loud it is. It's probably just as loud as a weldon.

Mike, Are you using the built in voltage controller? I figured it was loud at max output but not nearly as loud under reduced output. FYI I was looking at the 41402

Yes, even at low speed it's still fairly loud. I'm switching it with my fast ecu using an aux. output and a relay. It's not as high pitch as a weldon, but still loud.

How deep is that cell? I never thought to ask that in the emails that we traded. It looks fairly shallow. If there was any way to get a -10 pickup on there, I would be a lot less concerned about it pulling the fuel up and out. I am just concerned about possible cavitation issues from trying to use a small'ish pickup AND trying to draw fuel up and out of the cell.

Hi Josh, Thanks for checking in! It's 7" deep (RCI 2172a). Putting in a bigger pickup is certainly possible. Any reason since I'm doing it, I can't go to a -12? Or would that be overkill? If I'm fabbing it up anyway, couldn't I attach a sock to the dip tube and save the expense of a pre-filter? I'm also going to have to come up with some plan for containing fuel around the pump (baffle/foam/etc.)

If you can get a -10 (or -12) on there, you shouldn't have any problems. I was picturing a much deeper cell before. A sock on the dip tube would be perfect, and as you said- cheaper. We have a 75m stainless sock with a -10 fitting on it (part #83801).

-10 or -12 would be fine. All of our pumps use a -10 inlet, so you'd need a reducer at the pump if you went with a -12 pickup tube.

My goal was always to use the stock filler cap on the car (68 Camaro), that's why I wanted to cut the trunk and at least sink the cell 4" or so. This would give enough down angle on the filler neck to permit refuel. I guess I could scrap that idea and surface mount the cell in the trunk, then if I mounted the pump on the trunk floor it would be pretty much even with the bottom of the tank although it would still have to suck it up and out.
If I went this route I would probably be better off with either a bottom outlet cell or a sumped one. I haven't taken the cell out of the box yet so I can still return it if necessary.
Decisions, Decisions.

I really don't think you'll have a problem if you can just get a bigger pickup than the -8 that's currently on there. I'm sure you won't be the first customer to install a pump in what our engineer would call a less-than-ideal environment! Hahaha!