Fuel Return Line Replacement

6=8

11 Year GN Owner/Operator
Has anyone replaced the entire fuel return line before on a 86/87 GN? Any tips?

I purchased the fuel return line all the way to the front of the tank as well as the smaller one (With the flex line) that connects it to the FP regulator.

Looking for any tips... Removal/Installation order (Front to back or Back to front? What needs to be removed? etc...)

How tough is this?

Gonna give this a shot tomorrow... So if anyone has been through this before, Please let me know!

If anyone else is interested, I will let you know what I went through.

Thanks!

6=8 said:
Has anyone replaced the entire fuel return line before on a 86/87 GN? Any tips?

I purchased the fuel return line all the way to the front of the tank as well as the smaller one (With the flex line) that connects it to the FP regulator.

Looking for any tips... Removal/Installation order (Front to back or Back to front? What needs to be removed? etc...)

6=8, if this is a pre-formed stock replacement type return line, I'm not sure that you can do it without lifting the body off the frame. The factory installed these lines on the chassis, then the body went on.

I have replaced my fuel return line but I used aluminum tubing through the frame section and braided steel line up and over the rear axle. It's tough to feed hard line up and over the rear diff part of the frame. Anywhere that I thought that there might be rubbing or chaffing, I put heater hose around the aluminum tubing.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that is my experience.

George

Thanks for the reply George... I may have to cut/patch a few places... I'll find out!

By the way, what Diameter line did you use for your return line? It always amazed me the return line used was so small (I havent measured it, but it looks like 1/4" ID.)

At this point, I'm not worried about keeping it stock... I just want to drive it again and thought this was the easier option. If I get into this and find it too hairy, I'll dump the pre-formed line and go the same route as you... Possibly bumping the line up to 5/16 to be safe!

6=8 said:
Thanks for the reply George... I may have to cut/patch a few places... I'll find out!

By the way, what Diameter line did you use for your return line? It always amazed me the return line used was so small (I havent measured it, but it looks like 1/4" ID.)

At this point, I'm not worried about keeping it stock... I just want to drive it again and thought this was the easier option. If I get into this and find it too hairy, I'll dump the pre-formed line and go the same route as you... Possibly bumping the line up to 5/16 to be safe!

I believe the stock return line is 5/16" and it turned out to be too small for my 109 block set up. Many racers claim you can use the stock return line to low 11's and faster. That wasn't the case with my set up. I just couldn't lower the fuel pressure beyond 45 lbs static with the line off and the car ran way too rich. I disconnected the return line at the FPR and ran the fuel into a fuel jug and VOILA, I was able to bring it down to the low 30"s. I replaced the line with a 3/8" line. The larger line cured my rich condition right away.

If I were you, I'd go the 3/8" size right away, because as you continue to modify for more performance, you'll end up doing it all over again. Spend the money once !!!!

I'm running a 1/2" return line now for my new Stage 2. Ya see, we're never satisfied with the performance when we get it. We always want more and the costs go up exponentially :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :biggrin:

George