FWD Fuel Injected 3.8 V6 Into RWD Buick G-Body

1crazycanadian

I have someone who has offered me a 3800 out of a mid 90's Olds Eighty Eight for free. Kinda popped in my head although a wierd idea but would it be possible to put a FWD engine into the RWD 83 Buick Regal that I have and bolt up a auto or even a manual tranny to it? I am sure the mounting would pobably be an issue. But is it worth it and is it farely do able without going to the ultimate extreme?

I have been searching high and low for a newer GM Fuel injected 3.8 V6 and am having no luck.

Any ideas if it'd work or any other suggestions that might still give me a nice FI 3.8 V6 that i'd later on be able to turbo?

You need to talk to Lonnie Diers, he is working on a conversion for this.

you could use a 700r4 trans out of an F body or S10 with a 4 cylinder or 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6.. if you want a manual trans, then a T5 out of that same F body would bolt up with the proper flywheel- i think a 96-02 3.8 F body flywheel and clutch parts would work..

Yes you can adapt FWD to RWD. That would be a Good engine to swap into your car. You could also use a 4l60E with shift computer to make it real easy.

if you are going to go as far to do something like this I would highly recommend just getting a gtp or sc regal from the junkyard (series II). Or you could go the somewhat easy route and pull a 3800 from an fbody and use the trans with it. Most likely you are going to need some harnesses and other items. You might need to make custom headers to fit your regal so you just as well take it a step further and turbo the thing and be done with it. Stock gn turbos are cheap. A project like this is one that you do all the way or not at all. If I had another clean n/a regal I would drop in a 455 with an od trans and have fun. BTW if you go the 455 or any buick v8, I suggest doing the jeep steering shaft mod for header clearance.