FWIW, Stay Away From VP M5 Methanol For Your Alky Kit

GNVYUS 1

Some shops are pushing this on guys like us running Alky Kits, this blend is not like M1 and actually has Nitroparaffins in it which are the cousins to Nitromethane.

This stuff is a heart attack for your pump.

Razor wanna chime in, I couldn't find any definitive info in this section on this topic?

The guys at VP say not to use it for what we're doing. The M3 and M5 have specific additives for use by racers running pure methanol as a fuel not injecting it as we do.

As to the additives.. I have no data.. but it cannot be any good.

Its bad enough we're mixing fuel that has alcohol mixed in.. then we're throwing alcohol on top of that.. now add more additives..

I have shops that have used it.. but I have no long term data.

HTH

So M1 is the only one we're supposed to be using?

The point is to use straight methanol. Irreguardless of where it comes from its all the same. Ony difference is how much you pay.

M1 is the VP straight methanol. Sunoco calls it Alky, Phillips66 calls it racing alky, they all give it different names.. its all the same liquid.

As to the M3 and M5.. give it a whirl.. let us know how it goes. :eek:

M3 is more pure than M5, but both aren't as pure as M1 so you add that % of impurity to your pumps corrosion over M1. All 3 do eat away at the pump, it's just M1 does it with the lowest % of the 3 mixes. Could mean an extra month, season or year to your pumps life, not sure.

M3 is more pure than M5, but both aren't as pure as M1 so you add that % of impurity to your pumps corrosion over M1. All 3 do eat away at the pump, it's just M1 does it with the lowest % of the 3 mixes. Could mean an extra month, season or year to your pumps life, not sure.
Where did you get this data? I doubt the additives cause more corrosion than methanol itself. I replace the pump on my black car yearly. Why take a chance? If that thing craps out under power its several thousand in repairs and a lot of down time.

M3 and M5 won't pass the water test, have lube oils in them and M5 has cousins to Nitromethane, this data is out there but clearly not in this Section which is why I created this thread for everyone.
VP Drag Racing Fuels

None of the Alky Injection companies recommends anything other than M1 Methanol due to the additives (oils too) increasing pump failure. I wanted Razor to post to see how he feels, he agrees.

I agree and also said, "all 3 do eat away at the pump", but why add onto that with harsh additives when we're using this in a totally different way than those running 100% Meth as a fuel.

Changing the pump every year is a safe method, but not everyone's going to do that so the threads intention was to help those who can't do afford that and keep the pump alive for as long as they can. :wink: