Gas Tank Pics - Post them

TryMeGT

Ok, here is the dilemma. Paint the gas tank Black, silver or clear coat it. Tank is already out if the car and everything is already fairly clean when viewed form the back of the car but I am on the fence of what color to paint the tank. I have searched numerous threads to get pictures of GN's with black, silver and natural gas tanks pics from the rear but have not come up with much. So post what yours looks like to help me decide:confused:

Thanks!!
P5030019-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Painted mine black.

Attachments

• baby room 005.JPG
    baby room 005.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,052
  • baby room 007.JPG
    baby room 007.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,049
This is not making it easy. Before I was going with silver, but now since I have the aluminum differential girdle, the black would really make it stand out. So now I am thinking black with the straps being silver/aluminum to accent the cover:confused:
Grilfriend wants it silver!!!

Keep them coming, it can be a long winter in Ohio so I have some time to decide:eek:

Turbonut85 - Your left tire looks a little low on air:cool:

Keep them coming, it can be a long winter in Ohio so I have some time to decide:eek:

Turbonut85 - Your left tire looks a little low on air:cool:

Yeah I'm surprised it isn't completely flat. Those tires and wheels are just temporary until the LOOOONG Iowa winter is over and I put the GTA's on with some REAL meat!!:D :D

Good luck!:cool:

Mine is still silver...There's nothing wrong with black either, but silver is closer to how they looked when coming out of the factory. I had the two retaining straps chromed though...:biggrin:

Claude.:smile:

Gas Tank Paint Color

Ok, here is the dilemma. Paint the gas tank Black, silver or clear coat it. Tank is already out if the car and everything is already fairly clean when viewed form the back of the car but I am on the fence of what color to paint the tank. I have searched numerous threads to get pictures of GN's with black, silver and natural gas tanks pics from the rear but have not come up with much. So post what yours looks like to help me decide:confused:

Thanks!!
P5030019-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, in my honest opinion, I would paint it silver or leave it natural. The reason as follows: black ABSORBS heat. Silver color is reflective of heat. Ever wonder why your feet burn when you walk barefoot over asphalt (black) but you can do so easily over cement? (light color). Think about sitting at a stoplight on a very hot day, the tank absorbing all that heat from the ashpalt road. Even though I'm a retired mechanical engineer and just can't come up with how many degrees your gas tank could go up in temperature due to a black paint, I do know that cooler gas is denser and therefore gives you more dense gas in the combustion chamber which means more power which means the happier you are. This is just my common sense approach here, but it seems to make sense. Black colors aborb heat, lighter reflects it, therefore lower temperature of the tank if painted silver or left natural. Hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long absense here...I've been recovering from two mild heart attacks. (October, 08) But so glad to be among the living and still able to try to help out you guys in some way. (like you all have helped me tremendously!:) ) So, in my opinion...go with silver or leave the tank natural if it hasn't rusted. Happy New Year to you also. Love you all. :D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well, in my honest opinion, I would paint it silver or leave it natural. The reason as follows: black ABSORBS heat. Silver color is reflective of heat. Ever wonder why your feet burn when you walk barefoot over asphalt (black) but you can do so easily over cement? (light color). Think about sitting at a stoplight on a very hot day, the tank absorbing all that heat from the ashpalt road. Even though I'm a retired mechanical engineer and just can't come up with how many degrees your gas tank could go up in temperature due to a black paint, I do know that cooler gas is denser and therefore gives you more dense gas in the combustion chamber which means more power which means the happier you are. This is just my common sense approach here, but it seems to make sense. Black colors aborb heat, lighter reflects it, therefore lower temperature of the tank if painted silver or left natural. Hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long absense here...I've been recovering from two mild heart attacks. (October, 08) But so glad to be among the living and still able to try to help out you guys in some way. (like you all have helped me tremendously!:) ) So, in my opinion...go with silver or leave the tank natural if it hasn't rusted. Happy New Year to you also. Love you all. :D

Bruce '87 Grand National

Seems to make some sense. But im not sure how much heat would get absorbed thru the tank while at a traffic light via the pavement unless one sat there for quite a while.

Then again, here in New England it gets hot for about 6 weeks. The rest of the year is miserable and cold it seems....:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National
wipe it down and clearcoat it!!!!! just bought a new one and i am going to clear it

wipe it down and clearcoat it!!!!! just bought a new one and i am going to clear it

I did that to my tank and now its yellowish only about 6 months later :frown: I'm debating about what I'm going to do... but I'm seriously thinking about a darker silver and just not put any clear on it. If I do this I guess Il just plan on repainting the tank every couple months? :eek:

Where did you get the rubber pieces that go between the tank and strap?

I believe they were OEM. They were on there when I got the car. I think you can get them from Gbody Kirbans, or postons...not sure though. I think I might have a pair on a parts car if you are interested. ---Keith

I have a thread around here from a few months ago for the same thing :)

I had black...with black hanging straps. Didn't like it. Saw too many pictures of black cars with silver tanks and the contrast is nice.

I sanded off the paint and clear coated it to keep it looking nice.
Went to Kirban for new rubber and went with SS hanging straps.

I am pleased with how it came out.

My poll ended up with 20 in favor of silver, 16 in favor of black.

Paint the gas tank? - TurboBuick.Com

...black ABSORBS heat. Silver color is reflective of heat. Ever wonder why your feet burn when you walk barefoot over asphalt (black) but you can do so easily over cement? (light color). Think about sitting at a stoplight on a very hot day, the tank absorbing all that heat from the ashpalt road.

This is not true as the gas tank is not exposed to sunlight. A coating of paint, powdercoat, clearcoat, etc., regardless of color, might retain more heat on an otherwise uncoated gas tank. The color of something has no bearing on how much heat it retains if you take the sunlight out of the equation. i.e.-If I wear a black t-shirt indoors and then switch to a white t-shirt, I am not going to be wearing a cooler shirt; at night, the surface of a black painted GN is not going to be hotter than a white painted T-Type