Gawd make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terryk

Column ratting (formerly Make It Stop)

So what is the noise in the dash that sounds like plate rattling on a tile counter? I have looked and looked and can't figure it out. It's there only when you move ( I think because it's the only time if gets moved).

Any time you are moving it rattles. It's worse when you hit a bump. It's not the mind-warping squeak of the hood center support. It's in the area of the cluster. I thought it might be related to the speedo cable (I was grasping at straws). It's not the cable. There is no straw in there either.

Anyone know what it might be?

You sure its not the Rubber Hood bumper?

Might want to double check and put some grease on it!

Tain't the stop. That thing is so loaded up with grease it's ready for s........

My GN has just started doing that too.

Thought it was my timing translator rattling on the back of the glovebox where I mounted it, but it wasn't.

Not the hood bumper either. :(

Just annoying and sounds like behind and just above the radio.

Still driving it though, no snow yet. :)

I'll let you know if/when I find it.

same sounds here...I also thought it was the speedo cable...Although I haven't ruled that out no one else seems to think that's what it is...Let us know if you figure it out.

It's either demons or girls!!!!

It sounds like some metal piece is attached to something but not tight (now that's an explanation I need to copyright). It has a slight metallic sound but struck me like the plate analogy (or it is a metaphor... no, it's an analogy...).

I've removed the cluster and probed around, pounded the dash but can't find anything. It rattles more on bumps which makes me think it's something just laying against something else rather than a motion noise like a spinning cable. It doesn't change frequency or pitch either (which is the same thing but let's ignore that).

See what it's doing to me????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It's eating into my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have something similar mine is only when iam moving and it sounds like something is coming from around the pass front tire or around there ive checked everything under the sun and cant seem to find what the hell it is. the whole car is solid so that one sound stands out sometimes and makes me crazy...

I think it's time to start a support group. ;)

Might have to use a can of that foam insulator stuff and fill up behind the radio pod. :D

My T type has a similar rattle.

It's the linkage from the tranny tp the steering column. The bushings wear and the rod that runs from the column to the sector makes just that noise.

Next time it does it grab the part of the column that twists when you shift gears and give it a bit of a turn. I betcha the noise goes away :)

Now how exactly you fix this I haven't bothered to figure out. Just no time for the T. It will be for sale come spring.

Tony

I'll check this. One thing I do have is the floor shifter is sloppy. I can move the shifter enough to make the indicator move off the current gear. I checked the trans and it seems tight.

You might be on to something.

check under the car for the a pair of bolts that holds a bracket which holds the shifter linkage on. mine was missing one of the bolts and the other was loose, gave a loose shifter handle and it would point to the wrong gears and stuff. tightened that up, and it shifted like it was brand new. might be your rattle too.

Well, I found half of it. The slop is where the cable attaches to the shifter. The cable eyelet is worn oblong and the pin on the shifter is warn. Also, the pivot bolt at the bottom allows even more slop. The cable itself is tight, the shift moves all over.

I didn't get a chance to listen for the rattle but I will tomorrow.

TK

Listening to loud bagpipe, tapes, or CDs will mask the noise.
Thou, finding Good Bagpipe tunes is getting more and more difficult. LOL

illusive noise

This is a long shot but easy to check and fix if necessary.
On my car after much tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth I discovered that the screw located near the hood hinge that holds the sheet metal folded up against the hinge frame was loose. The sheet metal would click back and forth over a thread in the screw and make a noise that could be heard inside the car. Should be a 7mm socket head screw unless it has been replaced.
HTH
Peter

Bucket seats or bench on these cars making noise??

Check your ash tray for loose change.

That's rattle #12 and #13. Something under the passenger seat and something in the door.

Has anybody attempted to tighten the already tight LOOKING dash mount capscrew...right up at the top, under the dash, behind the radio cluster? It's really 'easy' to get to, but it might be worth the hassle...and save a bag-piper from pooing his pants while riding with you :D
HTH
Jim

Originally posted by Tony sy2356
My T type has a similar rattle.

It's the linkage from the tranny tp the steering column. The bushings wear and the rod that runs from the column to the sector makes just that noise.

Next time it does it grab the part of the column that twists when you shift gears and give it a bit of a turn. I betcha the noise goes away :)

Now how exactly you fix this I haven't bothered to figure out. Just no time for the T. It will be for sale come spring.

Tony

Ka-Ching! We have a winner!