G'Day from Australia

Stage 2 Torana

Hi Guys and Gals, been reading your posts for a while now and thought i'd better say hello.
I'm running a Stage 2 V6 engine in a circuit racing car here in Australia. At the moment we're still running n/a but hope to build a turbo stage 2 for next season.
It's great to get some ideas off people here as i'm probably 1 of only a couple, if any other people in Australia running a stage engine.
Keep up the good work.
Garry..:cool:

Hi Guys and Gals, been reading your posts for a while now and thought i'd better say hello.
I'm running a Stage 2 V6 engine in a circuit racing car here in Australia. At the moment we're still running n/a but hope to build a turbo stage 2 for next season.
It's great to get some ideas off people here as i'm probably 1 of only a couple, if any other people in Australia running a stage engine.
Keep up the good work.
Garry..:cool:

Ever hear or deal with these guys? They are outta Australia. www.billetturbochargers.com | Hottest_new_product_1.ews

Well at least you decided to say Hi! Join in ad add your $.02 and give us info on what's going on over the pond. Love to see some pics as well from the Aussies. You guys ar nuts from some of the stuff I've seen so let's see what you've been doing....PLEASE!!

Here's a pic of the Torana, i'll try and post some more when I work out how to change the file size..(Hope it works)

There's a video on youtube of the last time it was out. We're still rebuilding it from then.... Apparently I can't post a URL till i've posted a few replies so maybe you can add a www to this and it will work..

youtube.com/watch?v=fKuqSXMt_wI

Attachments

• Calder 2.08.2.jpg
    Calder 2.08.2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Calder 2.08.jpg
    Calder 2.08.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 180
Wild lookin, whats the curb weight on a stock one? I'll have to go and google one to see what it looks like stock.

it does not look very big...unless your 8ft tall behind the wheel:D

LX Torana
LX 1976 LX Torana SL/R 5000
Production 1976–1978
Body style(s) 3-door hatchback
4-door sedan
Engine(s) 1.9L OHV I4 (Sunbird)
173 / 2.85L OHV I6
202 / 3.3L OHV I6
253 / 4.2L OHV V8
308 / 5.0L OHV V8

The mildly facelifted LX series arrived February 1976. Cosmetically, the most obvious changes were to replace the LH's rectangular headlights with round headlights, side window surrounds were changed from body colour to black, and the front Holden badge was enlarged. Soon after its introduction, the LX was subjected to performance reducing engine modifications in order to comply with new mid-year emission regulations (ADR 27A). A two-door hatchback body was introduced as an alternative to the four-door sedan, although the 1,897 cc Opel unit was not offered in the Torana hatchbacks.

When the LX series was introduced in it featured a choice of four, six and eight cylinder engines. Later in the year the four-cylinder Torana was revised and relaunched as the Holden Sunbird.[4] From that point, Sunbirds were four-cylinder cars, Toranas six- and eight-cylinder ones. The original LX series Sunbird was a single-trim range, with four-speed manual and three-speed automatic transmissions. There were minor trim differences compared to the Torana, notably the grille (with vertical bars) and distinctive chrome wheel covers. It was marketed as a four-door sedan and as a three-door hatchback.[5] The introduction of Sunbird also coincided with the first attempt by Holden to add a handling package to its range of cars. The introduction of 'radial-tuned suspension' (aka RTS) began with the LX Sunbird sedan and hatchback and then the LX Torana.
1976 LX Torana SL/R 5000

During 1977, the LX series also saw the development of another limited build high-performance option aimed at winning the annual Bathurst touring car race. This was the 'A9X Option' that became available on the four door SL/R 5000 and two-door SS hatchback in 5.0 litre V8 form. The A9X cars visually resembled the 'L34 Option' of the LH series, but with the addition of a rear-ward facing bonnet scoop that was specially designed to force air into the engine to produce maximum power in racing conditions. The A9X package varied from the old L34 in road form in that whilst the engine was not modified, the A9X nevertheless had some special mechanical features such as rear disc brakes, heavy duty axles and a heavy duty '10 bolt' differential.

After being rushed into racing service, the untried Torana A9X ultimately lost its debut Bathurst race in 1977 to the Ford Falcons of Allan Moffat and Colin Bond. However, the A9X package was soon refined and proved dominant during the following two seasons of touring car racing in Australia, claiming both the 1978 and 1979 Australian Touring Car Championship titles and the Bathurst 1000 km races of both years.

Overall a total of 65,977 LX Toranas were produced by Holden.

some info from wikpdi

Hi, thanks for the compliments...

It's actually an LJ Torana, which is a lot smaller than the LX. It came out factory with a straight 6 202ci with triple SU carbs. We put the early Buick in it out of a VN commodore which is actually the US front wheel drive V6 converted back to rwd. It runs the fwd bell housing which we found out when we wanted to put the stage 2 in.

I think from memory they were about 1280kgs new, ours is 950kg. Ours is also nearly 2 foot wider than a standard one and 5-6 inches lower.

Here's a pic of a standard one and the early V6 we just took out of it, N/A with 6 throttle body injection.. Was making 340rwhp..

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Race engine 002.jpg
    Race engine 002.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 169
OMG!! Is that a stage motor? Do know if it's stage I or stage II and is it off or on center? If it's off center we need to get some of those intake and timing covers from you. That's a killer set up.

Hi Charlie, no it's not a stage motor.
We built it here before i even knew that stage motors existed. It's the same as a fwd Buick say 86-87 model, off centre even fire. They sold them over here in rwd cars with a dodgy balance shaft in them to take out some of the vibrations. We had a billet crank made here in Australia, some nice rods made, Ross forged pistons and then made the 6 x 2inch throttle body manifold to suit. It's a fair bit of work but as i said, we never knew any of the stage stuff even existed. It's fair to say the manifold was probably worth more than it cost me for all of my stage 2 stuff. But hey it works great. We had .690 lift and it idled at 1100rpm and you could drive it to the supermarket it was so smooth. We ran Autronic injection. The timing cover is standard for here except we made a billet cover for the water pump and ran an external electric water pump. We also had to make our own dry sump pan out of billet aluminium in a manual (not cnc) mill which took about 2 weeks.
The only shame about all this is the heads were the biggest restriction. I then found out about stage engines, got a heap of stage 2 bits and now we're making a heap more power with a 4 barrel..

Oh well, it was fun to build anyway and super reliable. Just can't wait to get the car back out with the stage engine in it. These things are just awesome as all you guys well know. I'm glad i've finally seen the light...

Here's another pic of the old engine for you. The airbox took us a week to make on it's own...

Attachments

• Race engine 004.jpg
    Race engine 004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Torana1 110.jpg
    Torana1 110.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 171
Cool info and if only it was a series II set of heads. The last V6 they went on center and the heads are the same as the stage II so I've been waiting for someone to make an intake for series II heads on a rwd off center block. Shame you didn't know about them at the time. It would've flown and the heads flow just like the stage II.

Cool info and if only it was a series II set of heads. The last V6 they went on center and the heads are the same as the stage II so I've been waiting for someone to make an intake for series II heads on a rwd off center block. Shame you didn't know about them at the time. It would've flown and the heads flow just like the stage II.

Thanks Charlie... Do you know what I have to do to put up a for sale ad on here. Who do I pay and how much etc???
I sent a PM to SGRIM? I think it was, whoever you're supposed to but haven't had a reply yet. Was thinking of selling this motor and some stage 2 stuff I won't be using. Thanks, Garry..

Garry, I don't think you can post fro sale stuff until you reach a certain # of posts but you can try. Go down the the main site and go to the for sale section. You might also go to the stage II section and see if anyone is interested.

Welcome to the site.

What part of Australia are you from? I met my wife in Avalon Beach, NSW. Maybe we could send you some engine parts, and you could send us some VB beer.;)

Again, Welcome...

Mike Barnard

What part of Australia are you from? I met my wife in Avalon Beach, NSW. Maybe we could send you some engine parts, and you could send us some VB beer.;)

Again, Welcome...

Mike Barnard

Hey Mike, I'm from Melbourne, Vic. Pakenham to be exact but I know exactly where Avalon Beach is.
Funny you should mention VB, I just sat down to have one with lunch then we're off to Avalon raceway in Geelong for the sprint cars.
Let me know when you need beer, and i'll send it. Any time.. It's better than that Fosters rubbish they export to you guys..That stuff's embarassing..

Garry, you're right about the Fosters. I can't stand a beer that's suposed to be good and instead is pretentious. I don't know any one who likes it.