Gen2 MAFT and Extreme G Chip Installed

Meg's Dad

I upgraded from the Translator and some unmarked chip (said to be one of Bob's, but I have serious doubts as it was completely unmarked) to the Gen2 MAFT and Extreme G chip. Install would have gone more smoothly if we had disregarded the standard instructions and only followed the plug and play harness. We basically went through both forms of installation... Eric was extremely helpful and immediately cleared up the confusion. His assistance, on a Saturday no less, was a real testament to his customer service.

Now onto the car, holy cow. The idle quality, part throttle and overall drive-ability were greatly improved. It pulls hard, even at only 18lbs. This was a quality upgrade and I'm looking forward to the next step, which will be a WB O2 for further fine tuning, then on to tuning with alky.

Regards,
John

Quick update, car runs great at part and WOT. Like a cheetah with it's arse lit on fire. I've noticed that the idle is a little lower than I expected, high 700's to 800 some of the time. It gives a slight stumble and down to 725-50 every so often. Everything else is fine, BLM's, IAC and FP are fine. I did pull 7% fuel out at low idle as the car was rich at the perscribed 45 PSI, line off. Anyone else see RPM's in the 700's with this chip?

Regards,
John

I'll check the chip # this evening and post up. How do you confirm OL idle? I don't remember it being a setting on the MAFT, so I ASSume it's in the chip, correct?

Regards,
John

It's in the chip.

From instructions:

Loop Control: The Extender Chips can be configured to run open loop at idle. This can be used to help smooth a rough idle caused by vaccuum leaks, exhaust leaks, large camshafts, bad O2 sensors or other cause. When open loop idle is enabled, the Block Learn value that was previously learned is frozen and the AirFuel mixture is richened slightly. The O2 reading will usually run 780 – 830 milivolts, this indicates an air-fuel ratio of between 14.0 and 13.0 which is perfectly fine. It may have an adverse affect on catalytic converters, so use this feature in off-road configurations only.

Highway Lean Cruise: When enabled, the Lean Cruise option will alter the AirFuel ratio during steady highway driving to approximately 16.5:1 to improve fuel economy. To operate properly in this mode, the car needs to be tuned and running properly. Bad spark plugs, plug wires, or other maintenance issues can cause poor drivability during lean cruise. Lean cruise activates approximately 10 seconds after the Torque Converter lockup is enabled in 4th gear. During Lean Cruise, the O2 reading will drop to 20 – 60 millivolts, indicating an AirFuel ratio of about 16.5:1. Every 8 minutes Lean Cruise will turn off for 10 seconds to double check the block learns are correct.

Launch Assist: When enabled, Launch Assist will improve turbo spoolup while brake-torquing for improved launch when racing. This mode is not intended for street use and does put a lot of heat into the turbo exhaust, headers, and exhaust valves. It does do a good job helping launch a turbo that is too large for the torque converter stall speed. When activated, Launch Assist reduces engine torque and increases exhaust temperature. Launch assist will activate when the throttle is between 50 and 85% and vehicle speed is below 5 mph. When Launch Assist is working, the Check Engine light will flash.

Open Loop Idle = 4, Lean cruise = 2, Launch Assist = 1.

Add up and program Parameter 12

For open loop idle put 4 in parameter 12. For open loop idle and lean cruise put 6. For open loop idle, lean cruise and launch assist put 7.

Rick

The bold purple looks good for Easter. :cool:

I believe the closed loop idle is set by which cam. you have selected when having the chip burned.

It may be a parameter in the chip serial number.

Mine idles around 800-825.

With all that money in the parts you have listed I'd spend the money on a new chip burned exclusively for your setup from TurboBob or Fullthrottle performance.

Salvage, the Extreme G chip was burned specifically for my combination. I've actually been down with what appears to be the flu for the past few days and haven't had an opportunity to pull the kick panel. I'll try to get to that this weekend, unless I go ahead and die. If I do, the idle quality will be the concern of whoever my wife sells the car to...

Regards,
John

Ron, it looks like I'll still be alive next Saturday, but just... Whatever has been going around hit me twice this year. It's no joke, I've never gotten this sick from the common cold before. I should still be good for the Auto Fair in Charlotte. Just need some sleep.

Regards,
John

Hey John, I'll call you maybe Wed eve. It was Friday I was planning on going. Got a committment Sat I can't undo. If you're sick man no prob. Got the Pypes setup waiting on me. Got a reply back from Eric, TT chip and ScanMaster on the way !

PS My wife had some bug that kept her out of work a week, 103 temp, one night in the ER, 875 mg Augmentin made her sicker, sickest she's ever been in 30 years. There's some bugs goin round that are heinous my friend. Get well.

Yeah, this thing is no joke. I'm trying to find the head of it now so I put a 230 gr. HP down it's windpipe...

Enjoy the show and LEAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT HOME. Remember, I bought my '71 Chally as a result of that show. It's an evil place!

Regards,
John

Hi John;

Glad to see Shane's old car is kickin a$$. Lookin foward to seeing it run at the TB.com nats.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Great to hear from you. Still haven't had an opportunity to get the car back out to run in OL, hope to do that this weekend and see if does the trick. Not sure if I'll be able to make the strip event at the Nat's. My May is already booked, but will try to break away for at least one day. Will you be stopping by RC's either Wednesday or Thursday? Would love to meet you in person.

Also, I saw your that your GN was for sale. Hope you pick up another one and stay in the community.

Regards,
John

Just a quick update. Have driven the car a few times since my last post. Idle quality has improved and the car runs fine. Actually took it to work so I could sit in a little traffic and see how the cooling system was working. Highest temps were 179 after a couple of pulls, then right back to 165-170. Brian @ GBody definitely squared me away with a great rad and fan setup.

I think I'm going to sit and enjoy the car for a while the way it is. Plenty quick enough to merge into traffic (HaHa) and take out for early morning drives. So happy to be back in a TR.

Regards,
John