gn carpet question

grandnash84

im going to replace my carpet in my gn. do i need to buy the rubber backing when i buy the carpet? can i use my old one? what is the difference between having the rubbering backing and not? thnx:)

The last time i bought carpet which was a long time ago backing came with carpet. If not find another source. Usually reuse your jute. Jute is a sound deadner.

I would use the rubber backing. If you buy the one without it the rug will stretch and move all over and never look right. You cant use the old one because its part of the rug. I`m installing one now and it comes with more jute than Gm installed.

I used the new carpet with rubber backing.....it's like the original, keeps the interior somewhat quiet and insulated....you can use the old jute backing in the floors under the new carpet with rubber backing, and the jute padding that comes with it...I had no problems at all with it....

Put the old backing down first:

Shirley,me, the cats, snowstorm, birds,deer, Mom, Thanksgiving 092.jpg

Then the carpet, and trim to fit:

DSC_0418.jpg

Then throw everything back in and enjoy:biggrin:

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

Glen at HighwayStars sells this rubber backed carpet...it's where I got mine and it's beautiful!

Bruce '87 Grand National

The rubber backed carpet will fit better, but is heavier than the non rubber backed carpet. It depends if weight is a consideration.

He said Glen at Highway Stars. i used the same carpet and am very happy with it. It is very heavy, though, so if it is going in a race car you might want something lighter.

I'm contemplating replacing mine also...Are you all using the preformed or a roll, just cutting and trimming it down? Do install instructions come with?

Where can u get a carpet kit without the rubber backing.. this is for a race car.

WNight13, the carpet comes press molded, pre-formed, so it fits in the curves and depressions perfect....no rolls, yes, it needs trimming, it's made a little larger for trimming on the edges only, use your old carpet as a template, to see how the cuts and slits are done, but save the trimming on the edges by the doors for your eyes, it's not really that hard...cutting a straight line is all...does not come with instructions, but if you get it from Glen and Leslie at HighwayStars, ask for the installation instructions via download, they give important tips. Use an awl to find the holes for your seatbelts and just pay attention to the outside belts, how they fit, by looking at your old carpet....it's not hard at all.

The only place I used adhesive is the front of passenger and driver's side foot area against the firewall...this is to keep the carpet from sliding down..other than that, it's a straight forward job. You can do it, I'm telling you.

Louie L. you can buy this carpet without the rubber backing for your racecar from Glen also. It just comes with jute backing, that's it...it's lighter, which should fit your needs. Give Glen a call at HighwayStars, he'll take care of you. Tell him Bruce sent you, as we know each other very well.

Hope this helps you guys.:smile:

Bruce '87 Grand National