GN rides rough

rmorrell

My car rides pretty rough most of the time and every bump is felt on the road. Just got new tires on it and have replaced the shocks with stock ones from napa. Should I have better shocks in the car or do something else? I have drove other TR's that ride alot better than mine that have stock suspension...

Maybe check your body bushings? I would think stock replacement shocks would be fine. Maybe springs are worn out?

Hi,
What tires and wheels are you running on? I noticed a difference when I went to 16s and 50 series tires. I can imagine a bigger difference with bigger wheels and lower profile tires.

Mine rides no rougher than my Silverado.

GN will ride a little rougher than a Caddy - it's a performance car.

I just replaced my tires, shocks, springs, body bushings, and will be replacing more of the suspension bushings over time (I have them all, just a matter of getting dirty enough to replace them all).
Car rides significantly better but no better then my 2004 Chevy Avalanche. If you are looking ofr a caddy ride, you need to spend ALOT of money re-engineering the suspension. If you want a BMW ride, you are going to have to spend ALOT MORE money re-engineering the suspension.
If there are other TR's that you have ridden in that feel better then yours, then start looking at air bags, body bushings and suspension bushings and you may be on your way.
NK!!

Mine rides no rougher than my Silverado.

GN will ride a little rougher than a Caddy - it's a performance car.

Mine rides rougher than my silverado.

I just replaced my tires, shocks, springs, body bushings, and will be replacing more of the suspension bushings over time (I have them all, just a matter of getting dirty enough to replace them all).
Car rides significantly better but no better then my 2004 Chevy Avalanche. If you are looking ofr a caddy ride, you need to spend ALOT of money re-engineering the suspension. If you want a BMW ride, you are going to have to spend ALOT MORE money re-engineering the suspension.
If there are other TR's that you have ridden in that feel better then yours, then start looking at air bags, body bushings and suspension bushings and you may be on your way.
NK!![/QUO

my gn is also a t top, some of the rattles make the issue probably seem worse (I need to replace wx stripping), but I rode in another stock suspension TR that seemed noticeably better. Maybe I'll look to replace the body pushings and suspension bushings as mine are probably original.

After new body bushings, if you are still not happy, you might want to look at the aftermarket body bracing that is available. I have a t-top and my car is as tight and rides as nicely as any newer hardtop after I fabricated and installed all the bracing.

does your car have poly bushings in the control arms front/rear? Because that really stiffened my car up.

Hmm....you may be on to something here. Do you have any pics of the body bracing that you have on your car? And yes, I have all of the poly suspension bushings, just haven't gotten around to installing all of them yet. But I would really like to see the body bracing you fabricated.
Thanks,
NK!!