Gnx brace

69RSCLONE

Can anyone give me any details of the GNX rear seat brace. Thickness, bends? I can't tell from the pictures. I'm not trying to avoid the vendors, $140 seems well worth the money. Just wondering if running a full sheet metal with some beads rolled into it would do the same and also make a firewall in case I ever (probably won't) run a fuel cell. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Going to do body mounts and brace everything by the spring and hope to see a respectable 60' with some tires. 1.99 is embarrassing

the gnx brace (original) is just stamped sheetmetal (maybe 20ga) and its the ribs that give it the strength . it was used on other gbodys (like Gran prix ttop) just not the regal
a firewall would be stiffer if it was as thick as the sheetmetal that the current brace in the back seat is but it doesnt need to be that thick by nhra rules only needs to be 24ga

Thanks. Just brainstorming if I want to go that route. Everyone seems to be scared about welding in the car, doesn't bother me. Just don't want to redo things. Do it once and be done.

an alternative to weld is rivets or sheetmetal screws and urethane sealant

heres the gnx brace and were welded in at factory on non regals ,, but the gnx being a regal didnt leave the assembly line with them so ASC riveted them in

0907141813.jpg

So they were riveted by ACS? I know it was added at ACS. Your picture looks a lot different than the Tin Man repop. Is that a production GBody part or the one ACS put in?

thats a gM brace same as installed in other gbodies and what was used by ASC on the gnx, and they were riveted by ASC with 1/4" rivets like gm used for the door regulators

I put one in my car because I have a Metco tank for my methanol in the spare tire well. Also blocked of the speaker holes.

If you are making enough power to be concerned with a rear seat brace it is time for a real roll bar. With a well designed RL bar all of these options are a waste of time. If you need a firewall then just add one while welding in a good roll bar. Nothing works better than a well built bar/cage. NOTHING! Maybe I am off my rocker. I've only been building these GN's since 1988. I'm "new". ;)

Not ready for anything like that yet. I've only had the car for 4 months. If I ever make it to the point of needing a cage I'll be to old to drive. The car was my mothers and not driven hard, well at least when she was driving. But the roof at the rear quarter windows is already rippled. Just trying to stiffen up the body before I start making more power. Unlike some people that have delusions of 9 second street GN, I'm only looking for 11.50.

I'm only looking for 11.50.
Honest to God that's what I said. Took the car to the track the first time Friday night and got an 11.55 @118.76. One of the last runs was a slower ET but 119.5 mph (-1500 ft DA so better than perfect air) and I feel like I haven't even started with this car yet. It was a blast and I can already tell you I'm addicted. 11.5 is fast but not fast enough :)

One of the main reason I installed the Brace was to prevent the passenger top right side quarter window of cracking. I don't race the car, but do enjoy the power and the torque will twist the frame to one the weakest point which is the passenger top right side quarter window. Now with the brace installed the car launches straight and even and not like before leaning towards the passenger side.
Got my brace many years ago from Then Kenne Bell, and I bolted the brace, where as many welded theirs in place.
Here are two board vendors that has the GNX rear Brace:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=743&osCsid=c5d402cb1450ad640b5776ce70ae04cf
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/416/GNX+REAR+SEAT+BRACE+#7169.html

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 192
  • 87 GN 078.jpg
    87 GN 078.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
If you are making enough power to be concerned with a rear seat brace it is time for a real roll bar. With a well designed RL bar all of these options are a waste of time. If you need a firewall then just add one while welding in a good roll bar. Nothing works better than a well built bar/cage. NOTHING! Maybe I am off my rocker. I've only been building these GN's since 1988. I'm "new". ;)

roll bars are fine and good, right up until you actually want to use your 5 seat car as a 5 seater..

Honest to God that's what I said. Took the car to the track the first time Friday night and got an 11.55 @118.76. One of the last runs was a slower ET but 119.5 mph (-1500 ft DA so better than perfect air) and I feel like I haven't even started with this car yet. It was a blast and I can already tell you I'm addicted. 11.5 is fast but not fast enough :)
With the hour drive to and from the track I need reliability. My friend runs his unopened 87 11.60's with DR's, trans work and converter, and a 6262 dbb with a FMIC. That's all I'm looking for, well right now at least. With 3 play cars plus the 2 daily drivers and my 2 kids I have to be careful where my money goes. I get on this forum and read about people dropping thousands at a time on their cars. I spent 9 years building my Camaro and only put it on the road this summer because I got the GN and never would have heard the end of it from my wife if it spent another year without hitting the road. I'm sure I will want more but not going to set my goals higher till I get there comfortably.

With the hour drive to and from the track I need reliability. My friend runs his unopened 87 11.60's with DR's, trans work and converter, and a 6262 dbb with a FMIC. That's all I'm looking for, well right now at least. With 3 play cars plus the 2 daily drivers and my 2 kids I have to be careful where my money goes. I get on this forum and read about people dropping thousands at a time on their cars. I spent 9 years building my Camaro and only put it on the road this summer because I got the GN and never would have heard the end of it from my wife if it spent another year without hitting the road. I'm sure I will want more but not going to set my goals higher till I get there comfortably.
I hear you. Only been to the track once. Drove 1.5 hours there, 14 passes, and 1.5 hrs home. I'm sure the reliability / ET relationship is not linear though lol

Mine sat for 12 years and prior it was driven by a little old lady(my mom). By the time I did the spring cleaning and getting it drivable I was $5k deep, parts only. That $ was not in the budget. Can't afford a tow bill on top. Lol

Mine sat for 12 years and prior it was driven by a little old lady(my mom). By the time I did the spring cleaning and getting it drivable I was $5k deep, parts only. That $ was not in the budget. Can't afford a tow bill on top. Lol
Save up. If you are going to beat on a car, any car, eventually it will be brought back on a hook. There is a reason many trailer their car to/from the track.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app