GNX wheels real or not?

giediprime

Newbie owner of GNX #70 and wanted to know how to tell real GNX wheels from TA or other wheels. In researching the previous owners, it appears the 2nd previous owner advertised GNX wheels for sale but I am not sure they ever sold or if they were even from this car. I have an '89 TA and the wheels look the same (from the outside). Are there anyways to confirm GNX wheels?

Newbie owner of GNX #70 and wanted to know how to tell real GNX wheels from TA or other wheels. In researching the previous owners, it appears the 2nd previous owner advertised GNX wheels for sale but I am not sure they ever sold or if they were even from this car. I have an '89 TA and the wheels look the same (from the outside). Are there anyways to confirm GNX wheels?

The front and rear wheels were custom made for the GNX by JWC. The wheels are labeled "Rear Only" and "Front Only". The front wheels are stamped "-15" and the rears "-23", which is in millimeters. Here's a pic of the front:

wheel-f.jpg

Backspacing from the deck of inner hub to the outer most lip in the front is 3-15/16" and the rear is 3-9/16". The difference comes out to approx. 8mm which matches the difference in the offset spec.

it should not look like the 89 TTA rim , the TTA rim (and GTA rims from 88 on ) has dimpled spokes and is a one piece rim ,
the GNX rim like eartier GTA rims have non dimpled spokes and is made of two parts... the cast center and the outer drum, and are welded together on the back side

I have a learning question about GNX's for myself,the TTA whels are clearcoated,are the GNX wheels clearcoated ? Or can you polish them up with aluminum polish ?Looks like the 234 X for sale now in Pa had its wheels really polished up.

The "real" wheels actually had a anodized finish which you cannot polish
To polish the wheels on 234 they has to remove the anodize and polish the lips
Once you do that you must periodically polish them or you can flatten them out with clear again

Last edited: