Go shopping get ticket

injdinjn

The City of Lake Forest, which includes Foothill Ranch, has a deal with the OC sheriffs dept using civilian patrols. These civilians are empowered to issue fix-it tickets.
We recently received a no front plate cracked windshield ticket while shopping at the Walmart in Foothill Ranch and the vehicle was parked in the parking lot.
So if your vehicle has any visible issues I advise not shopping in Lake Forest or Foothill Ranch.
We returned our purchase to the store, we will buy it in another City.

The City of Lake Forest, which includes Foothill Ranch, has a deal with the OC sheriffs dept using civilian patrols. These civilians are empowered to issue fix-it tickets.
We recently received a no front plate cracked windshield ticket while shopping at the Walmart in Foothill Ranch and the vehicle was parked in the parking lot.
So if your vehicle has any visible issues I advise not shopping in Lake Forest or Foothill Ranch.

Damn that sucks. :( This is just not right!

Wal-Mart won't like that. If I were you, I would let Wal-Mart know that these people are doing that in their parking lot, and that you will no longer shop there. Tell them that you are going to shop at Target, or elsewhere. Don't just tell them that you are going to shop at a different Wal-Mart. Tell them you are also telling your friends. I bet they will take care of it. They are kind of powerful and don't like getting messed with.
I read that in order to stop a union from forming that they actually closed down an entire store and just moved away. A little thing like gung-ho civilians walking around with plastic badges would be childs play for them.

I'm not sure that they can ticket in a parking lot, and I would check on that.

unless the city has an ordinance,

or something similar, they ( unsworn patrol officers) cannot ticket on private property, which walmart is, in fact they cannot ticket anywhere, again unless the city has provided for it in there charter, or ordinances.

I'd look into it,

I called Walmart, I think they will be calling the City. The asst magr was not happy to hear that and there is nothing like a PO'd female executive.

I'm not sure that they can ticket in a parking lot, and I would check on that.

yes they can.. you can get ticketed anywhere.. at the mall there are officers that ride around just looking for out dated tags, so that they can tow the car..

I thought cops can't issue tickets on private property or privately owned streets, unless instructed to do so by the owner of the property?

for example at my school csulb, cops walk on foot and issue tickets. Funny part is my school sees ZERO of those dollars, they goto the city to pay
the cities debt. The violations our own students commit on school property only profit the city and not our school, lovely. Also lovely are the FULL hand scan requirements coming soon, with no garuntee for liability of your personal hand scan data, each student must submitt in order to enter the brand new 63 million dollar recreation building. O and even if you dont want to submitt your hand scan and use the facility, all students must pay for it or you can't register for school!

-markos

They did that around here a few years ago....it was at the walmart too.....did not last but a year or so.

yes they can.. you can get ticketed anywhere.. at the mall there are officers that ride around just looking for out dated tags, so that they can tow the car..
I don't think that LEO's can legally enforce misdemeanor violations on private property, without written consent / authorization of the owner. I don't think that they can tow from private property for tag violations either. They can, I believe, tow abandoned vehicles on private property after ticketing for abandonment with property owner's consent, I believe.
And I think that they might look for expired tags in parking lots such as Walmarts while also looking for stolen / wanted, but I don't think that they will bust for expired tags till you hit the street. We have a Chief of Police on here somewhere.

Apparently they have some arrangement between the City and the County Sheriffs. Lake forest contract with the Sheriffs dept for police work.

Had to insist on talking to a person at the City mgrs office, he gave some cops numbers, but typical no one answers and I didnt feel like playing phone tag.

The city managers office is 9494613412 Ben Siegal
He is aware of the patrols hes not 100% sure about them ticketing, but the watch commander I talked to sat said its a City/County Sheriff agreement.
The City gave me these numbers but they only have ans machines
Sgt Mike Dublin 9494613542
Dep Richard Nelson 9494613545

The asst mgr at Walmart was not happy about this.

BTW FEEL FREE TO POST THIS ANYWHERE.

Gotta get revenue somehow.

.................................The city managers office is 9494613412 Ben Siegal............................
With a name like "Ben Siegal" he could go a long ways as a city manager.
Maybe they call him "Bugsy"

wrong answer Mike (nordy)

in calif, ONLY a sworn police officer has the authority to issue violations of the calif vehicle code, other wise it'd be like Gary writting a ticket to you!.
a sworn police officer is one that has the ability to carry a weapon, powers of arrest, and has past their POST certificate.
no where in the CVC does it give power to cite on private property,unless...
you are a danger to yourself or others, OR the property owner gives you specfic permission to cite on his behalf.
There are calif codes that allow a private citizen to make a "citizen arrest"
this can only be done if you (private citizen) has observed the violation, and a sworn officer is present to enforce the arrest, and agrees with the violation, usually a moving violation of some sort.
any street can be a public, or private street, to be a public st, it must be dedicated by the developer to the city or county.and they must assume responsilbility for it.
hope that helps.

Legal to issue the citation

Most cities have what is called "parking enforcement officers" , it's what we call a non-sworn position. They have the required training and authority per the Calif. Vehicle Code to issue citations (for violations under the Vehicle Code) on any parked vehicle. If your vehicle is parked on any street, they can cite you, if you are parked on any private property that is "open to the public" (like, shopping centers, banks, hospitals, stors,) they can cite you. They can't cite on "private property" that is not "open to the public", like your drive way at your residence. However if your city has an ordinance like the city I work for "no parking of vehicles on your front lawn" parking enforcement officers can cite you on your own private property. I hope this info helps. And no, I'm not a parking enfoecement officer, I'm a Sworn officer with 21 years on the job. :cool:

Reason they can issue citations

"Parking enforecement officers can isssue "parking citations" bacause the tickets are only infractions under the Vehicle Code. They don't have to be a sworn officer to issue infractions. And because they are not sworn, they can't issue citations for any moving violation or any Misdemeanors voilations under the vehicle code.

in calif, ONLY a sworn police officer has the authority to issue violations of the calif vehicle code, other wise it'd be like Gary writting a ticket to you!.
a sworn police officer is one that has the ability to carry a weapon, powers of arrest, and has past their POST certificate.
no where in the CVC does it give power to cite on private property,unless...
you are a danger to yourself or others, OR the property owner gives you specfic permission to cite on his behalf.
There are calif codes that allow a private citizen to make a "citizen arrest"
this can only be done if you (private citizen) has observed the violation, and a sworn officer is present to enforce the arrest, and agrees with the violation, usually a moving violation of some sort.
any street can be a public, or private street, to be a public st, it must be dedicated by the developer to the city or county.and they must assume responsilbility for it.
hope that helps.

yes, i was only talking about officers being able to tow cars from mall lots for out dated tags.. they do it all the time Gary..

well we wife and i shop in target, wal-mart in foothill ranch,,,
if i get a ticket for no front plates on my rover i WILL return the thing to the store .............
thanks for the heads up.

I'm on my third cracked windshield presently this time on my Lightning P.U. all happened on the freeways by trucks. I wonder how many millions perhaps billions of dollars in damage is caused by trucks & road debris. My favorite is the mattress on the roof trick or how about the pickup truck full of gardening tools spewing its goods all over the freeway. Were I a CHP officer that would be my pet focus.