Going for Paint - Door questions?

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
Well, the 24 year old lacquer paint is finally going to get replaced! I plan to remove the doors, and have done some searching... I've removed the glass and psgr side remote mirror. I've read that the wires leading to the power windows can be removed at the motor. Does the motor need to be removed to do that? I wasn't planning on removing the window motor and track. Also what's the best thing to do with the wires where they go through the rubber thingy? What about the power door lock wires? Do they unplug at the unit as well? When I'm done the only thing I plan to leave is the front fenders, and the front and rear windows.
Thanks
D

Well, the 24 year old lacquer paint is finally going to get replaced! I plan to remove the doors, and have done some searching... I've removed the glass and psgr side remote mirror. I've read that the wires leading to the power windows can be removed at the motor. Does the motor need to be removed to do that? I wasn't planning on removing the window motor and track. Also what's the best thing to do with the wires where they go through the rubber thingy? What about the power door lock wires? Do they unplug at the unit as well? When I'm done the only thing I plan to leave is the front fenders, and the front and rear windows.
Thanks
D

No, you don't have to remove the motor. Wire connector disconnects from the bottom of the motor. However, just inside the door frame post there are plugs that connect to the wiring that goes inside the door to your PW motor and such. Disconnect there, take off the rubber boot, and stuff the wires inside the door while painting. And congratulations ... that's how to paint a car properly. With all that stuff removed. ;)

Ok thanks John, that makes a lot more sense :) So is it best to access the plugs from in behind the kick panels/ecm? Or can you pull the rubber boot back and un plug them from the jam?
Thanks again,
D

you can pull the boot out, and get at the plug....kinda hard behind the kick panel. Just went through all this "fun" w/ my regal. took everything off the car, in the Assembly process now......this is my 3rd time taking doors apart and re-assembling, can almost do it w/ my eyes closed..well not really:biggrin:

Don't know about yours, but my 24 years old windows motors are Slowwwww!!! I'm about to go paint an body from original as well,I already bought the new motors.Also i found neat window motor controler where i can just tap the window up crome switch an the window will go all the way up or down with just that touch,Got it at Gbodyparts.com i beleave

Enjoy!

Ok thanks guys. My window motors seem fine, at least I've never found them slow. But my power locks are kind of weak. You've got to tap them a few times to make sure they lock so I should probably look into them...