Good Ford Turbodiesel truckyears? Major 4x4 South American trip planned, need advice!

gnx7

A friend of mine wants to buy a 4x4 truck and add a camper shell and then put an enduro motorcycle on the back for a major South American trip he has in the works. He plans to ship the truck in a container from CA to Peru/Chile and do a major surf tour there for about 6-12 months and explore the land.

I have suggested getting a Turbodiesel as they run forever, get good gas mileage (vs. a standard gas engine), diesel is easier to find down there, and they are normally maintenance free motors with tons of torque for 4x4ing. We have found 5 of them locally with around 150K miles on them for under $9K that are 4x4 manual setups.

He is eyeing '94 F-250 and newer Turbodiesel 4x4's with 5 spd manual transmission. Are these good years or any common problems with them? He plans to install 35" M/T tires, a lift kit and do some serious wheeling down there in the desert and thru rivers. Are the manual transmission known to be beefy? They are also available with compound low 1st gear which I'm unsure whether it would benefit him..... if he plans to wheel big time I would expect it would help.

He is no mechanic but can change oil/plugs/filters and that is about it. Maybe an alternator/starter in a crunch.

Any good messageboards you can point me towards for Turbodiesel trucks?

Should I recommend a Dodge/Chevy instead?

What about '87 and newer Turbodiesel Fords?

-GNX7

I had an 87 Powerstroke.Good truck 13 to 17 mpg.The HD transmission is a ZF made in germany.Great shifting,beefy internals.I broke my tailshaft extension housing-case is aluminum.I would reccommend a 1997 or older F350 4x4 because of the solid front axle.The older GM diesels were way down on power. The Cummins is a very good choice too-I have sen one with 900,000 miles! Overall,my choice would be the Ford.

I like the 2001 Model year Ford. Powerstroke is a great engine. Whatever truck he gets, I would recommend utilization of a good auxiliary fuel filter / water separator and frequent water drains. South American diesel is not the same stuff we have here in the states. There's typically more water and higher sulfur in their fuel there. The sulfur isn't necesarily a bad thing, it actually helps the fuel lubricity.

I agree with the solid front axle. Does he have a spending limit?
I myself am a Chevy man, but the new Dodges are some serious haulers. A lady my wife works with and her girlfriend, just ordered a new Dodge to pull their 16,000 lb trailer. 550 ftlbs at 1400rpm. Dont know the cost though. I never liked 4 wheelin with a manual, you lose rpms and traction as you shift. But if he is going to be in the boonies, its way sturdier, less trouble and maintenace on a manual. Just get a GOOD winch, with extra straps.

Scott

Engine braking is always good, so is hill crawling with out touching the gas.
I would love to have a UniMog, there are 2 in town. One is painted red and has Dominoes on it. They use it to deliver pizza. TSK TSK.

Scott

Tell him to buy any Ford..This way he can leave it there after he through using it...

I have a Duramax and the brother has the Cummings. Just can not beat that cummings......Strong motor but they have a crappy transmission.

I love my Duramax and the ally tranny is awesome.

I think the Cummins engine in the Dodge is superior to the Ford but the trans is not up to par...... and the Duramax superior to the Cummins.....

Thanks for the feedback so far. He wants to spend under $10K for a healthy running turbodiesel truck that will be reliable as he is traveling to the boonies where no real service will be available. It must be reliable and be able to take parts with him to fix it (clutch/plugs/sensors etc).

Thanks for the info on the water/fuel separator. I would've never thought of that.

Any more input on 5spd manual transmission choices for the Ford (standard or low range 1st)?

Any good messageboards?

-GNX7