Good time at Amarillo Dragway

dthrock

After finally getting all the parts in the GN that I had planned and the tranny rebuilt to hold up I went out to the strip. It was Friday and they were running a street wars race, domestics vs imports with the fastest of each running the last race.

Well as you might guess most of the imports were running 14s and 15s. I put in 3 test runs and finally broke the 12 sec mark. First run was 12.98@106, second was 12.89@107. Third one the clock died and I got no times.

Some interesting stuff, 2 of the 3 races were against trucks. One was a little chevy with huge slicks and wheelie bars on back. I smoked him pretty bad, I think he ran a low 14, hi 13. Second one was just as slow. I was amazed at how slow most of the cars were running. I think its a combo of a really trashy track and the altitude here.

DS was showing no knock so I turned up the boost a couple notches and got in line for the street wars. First run was against some old olds I think. Poor guy must have been running 16s. That was my best run of the night at 12.72@108 with a 2.0 60' .
That only left 3 of us running the next round. I drew the by, but on my run the intercooler hose blew off and I limped down the track. I got back in line, got the hose back on with the help of the guy behind me running a nova (who I think also has a blue GN). Seems the nova and the monte that had the other run got a bad tree so they re-ran all of us. I didnt get a by this time and had to run(the nova I think). Well I forgot to reset my computer so the blms were screwed and I couldnt even get a burnout. I just backed off the track and let the other guy go. He was running 11s anyway so it wouldnt have been any different outcome. I believe the nova won the race, but didnt see the last run.

There was another GN there that was running 11.30s on slicks. Nice engine but rough body. I think he liked it that way :) If you guys are on here send me an email as I didnt get any info from you. We will have to make a run down to Lubbock to a real track.

Final note, I think I could have gotten it down to 12.5 or lower if I would have had better traction (track) and more time to run. 20 or so bikes pulled in and it just got to crowded so I went home.

Dave

Originally posted by dthrock
There was another GN there that was running 11.30s on slicks. Nice engine but rough body. I think he liked it that way :)
Dave

:D That would be me. Not too fond of how the car looks, but it works to my advantage. The way it is for right now. And will stay that way till I get another car to beat on as a daily. And as for our track, it really sucks. The slicks spin like radials out there. The only good thing is you can always count on tubbed cars with lumpy cams and no exhaust being out there that you can beat. The best. Especially when they are putting it back on the trailor and you are putting the slicks back in the trunk.

The bikes just wanted to play with themselves. The quickest one was the Busa with a high 10. Must be the elevation. Half of that field I could have hung with but they kept a count in the lanes so that they only ran with each other. There was a chick there on an R6 that could RIDE.

I hope to get more fuel in it. I think I am only tickling this turbo with 23#'s. But I had a great time and saw a substantial gain from the last time out. We really need to make a run down to Idalou or Dolaca.

Nice to meet you.

John

Originally posted by disco stu
I hope to get more fuel in it. I think I am only tickling this turbo with 23#'s. But I had a great time and saw a substantial gain from the last time out. We really need to make a run down to Idalou or Dolaca.

John

Not to hijack the post, but if you're going for ET, come down (Dolaca or Idalou) on race day when the tracks are prepped and there are not many street-tired cars. OTOH, the test and tune or Street Wars are fun and relaxed. As the new track in the area, Dolaca (IHRA) is racer-friendly. The attitude there is a lot like race weekends at Wall Dragway if that means anything. The sheer magnitude of the property will floor you if you haven't been there yet. Idalou is still good too. Since my good (i.e. faster) car is done for the year, I took my daily driver GN to each track over the past 3 weeks to kill some time.

Art

Good to know Art. I have not been to Dolaca's facility yet, but I have heard it is very nice. Either way it would be a good change of scenery compared to Amarillo Dragway.

Glad you caught the thread John, good to meet you too.

Hey what kind of exhaust do you have on your GN? That thing sounds like a buzz saw going down the track. Havent heard anything like that before but didnt get a chance to ask you that night.

I think Im going out again this Friday to the test and tune. See if I cant see some low 12s at least. Have to pick up a bit more fuel for the evening. Ive heard the PT53's start running well around 25psi, Ill have to crank it up a little and find out :) Now if I could only get the ET Streets to hook, even once.

Let me know if you are going out.

Dave

Even better than that is just pulling off the track and driving out the gates like I did :). I loved beating those trailered trucks. I guess I will eventually get used to smoking 'dragsters' but it still surprises me when it happens pretty consistantly.

Ive only lived here a couple yrs and havent been anywhere else to race, where is Idalou and Dolaca?

Dave

Originally posted by disco stu
The only good thing is you can always count on tubbed cars with lumpy cams and no exhaust being out there that you can beat. The best. Especially when they are putting it back on the trailor and you are putting the slicks back in the trunk.

Nice to meet you.

John

Got a 3" THDP, 2.5 ATR dual. The .83 A/R Exhaust housing really changed the way the car sounds all around but especially at WOT. Didn't notice really how it sounded till I saw a vid of it. :)
Idalou is Lubbock's track, Dolaca is near Levelland, and I've heard it's killer.

Hey, are y'all going to go to the Test n Tune this Friday?

When did they change the Street Wars to a 1/4 mi. drag? Last Street War I was in out there, I had the distinct pleasure of lining up with the aforementioned GSX1300-R Hayabusa.:eek: in the final race.

However, I did get the domestic trophy! The kids loved the hell out of that!

I've got some suspension work and bigger fuel lines to run on my white '85 Mustang GT, and hopefully make it to the track to see how much they help out. Disco Stu's got some phenomenal track times for that junky track! I don't think I'll be able to catch him this season. I'm going to have to buy a bigger hood to fit some more go-fast parts underneath!

Hopefully, I'll get to meet you guys out there sometime. My Dad just picked up a restored '87 GN. He's been hinting at taking it out to the track and showing me whats up! We shall see!

Jamey

AHHHH, so YOU brought home the gold! Good to hear from you locals. Don't think I'll run this weekend, haven't changed anything and I need to as I am running pretty darn lean. Need to throw more fuel at it. Looking for some flowed 72's, then I can be done with injector. So I need to send my ECM out for mod and a chip for a reburn. Or go with a fatter chip for the 50's??? I don't know. 72's are probably a better decision.
But I think I'll go out there anyway maybe to spectate. And go cruise later in the evening and mess with the kiddies.

The gold;)

Yep, the first time I took my car to the track (about 2 months ago) I got into the Street War race. That was when it was an 1/8th mile dig on an instant green light. Strangest thing I've ever seen! There were only 2 other Mustangs on the domestic side and some little buzz-bomb along with the Gixxer on the import side. I went through the Ponies pretty fast...although, not as fast as the GSX-death missile tore through that ricer!

The next week, I was pumped to get another trophy! Unfortunately, they weren't too impressed with the turnout of the last race wars, so they opted not to have it that Friday.:( I did manage to bust out a 12.38@115 on Macreary's on one of the last passes of the night. That was pretty cool!

A friend of mine went last week. Y'all might have noticed a primer 71-ish firebird with a tubbed rearend running 11.30's@120 or so. He told me about the Nova and Monte Carlo running 11's on ET streets in Race Wars. I believe it would be in my best interests if I ditched the Macreary's for some ET streets if I wanna bring home the gold again!

Anyway, I just got out of the garage...I didn't get anything done for tomorrow, so I'm going to have to pass up on this one. If I lived in Amarillo, I would be there all the time, but the hour-long cruise from Borger is pretty damn long, especially without any trailer if something horrible happened!

Hopefully, I'll be there next Friday and I'll see y'all there!

Jamey

p.s. Lubbock and Levelland would kick serious ass. They don't call this place "The High Plains" for nothin'!

I gotta chime in here.
Just so that you know,Discostu drives his car everyday as his
primary driver!! Thats high tens at a track that hooks!!:eek:
Very impressive!! Nice work John!
I will give you a buzz when i get you a price for the 72LBers.

Originally posted by vettklr
Hey, are y'all going to go to the Test n Tune this Friday?

Jamey

Ill be going out tomorrow or test and tune. I want to get it dialed in a bit more.

Dave

Originally posted by YELAGN
I gotta chime in here.
Just so that you know, I will give you a buzz when i get you a price for the 72LBers.

Thanks George. You don't happen to have a modded ECM too, do you? :D

Good to see you guys congregating! I be in town to join the action Aug. 6-13. We will have to meet up. My car just got finished today, but alot of tuning left to do. Its been 115* here in Phoenix the last 5 days. Gonna have to wait till it cools down some before we can get it out and make some tuning runs. BTW, I will be bringing your little stock turbo back to you George.:eek: I know you miss it. Thanks for letting me borrow it for so long. Later guys, Clay

It rained last friday night so Im going to go out tomorrow (Sat the 19th). Hope to see some of you out there.

Dave

Well tonight was fun. Not many cars out tonight. Zero imports for the street wars race. I ended up winning the trophy with a crappy 13.0 at 109.?? with a 2.2 60'

The track kept getting worse and worse as the night went on. I actually did 3 consistant 12.7xs with 2.0 60' runs at the beginning of the evening when it was probably 90 degrees outside.

I ran against an El Camino that was running 12.80s most of the evening. It was a great race, he was ahead by 2 or 3 cars off the line but I got him at the end by .1 my 13.0 at 109 to his 13.1 at 104. I think I spun thru the first 1/8 mile.

All and all a fun evening, even thought I didnt make much of an advance in times, except for the increased mph from 108.45

Dave

One thing bout that Elky is it is consistant to the .05, and that guy and all his sons will nail you to the tree. Good bunch of guys and they build some nice cars, the Elky is the most mild and all are driven to and from Umbarger. I can respect that.

Good job. When they asked me what kind of mileage does a car like that get, I tell them, they shake their head... and I just smile. :p

hey John good times!!! if you want to get rid of your 50's let me know.i went to the last sat race.i managed a 12.80.the track sucked.we are going to idalou the 26th.see you