Got a shot on the dyno, now I want more.

Sleeper-6

Greeting from the Hot Rod Power Tour in Springfield, Missouri. I had a chance to get up on the dyno on sat. In street trim as I drove it in, she layed down a best of 350 hp, 430 ft.lb. of torque. At 17psi with an ambient temp of around 90 degrees. So I'm pretty happy, BUT.......judging form the combo below what would it take to make an honest 400 hp in street trim?

This is a little OT, but I think I talked to you for a few minutes at Gateway on Tuesday. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Thanks, Everything went great! I can say that now since I'm home. ;) sixgun, It looks like the big difference between yours and mine is the IC, 70mm TB and you have a bigger turbo. I think my IC is the current bottle neck in airflow. Like I said, in street trim. That means I can't up the boost. Pump gas + more boost = KABOOM. Alky is in my plans for the near future. :D

You were making mearly 450 crank HP. With a 61, that is pretty good if you were not locking up the converter. That is especially good in the humidity and heat.

If you try the alky, consider the progressive. I've never ran alky before this. My car has a similar combo as yours but does have a 20 row stock location IC.

I've only been to the track twice with the car. At 17 psi, it ran 87 mph in the eighth, and at 22 psi with alky it ran 94 mph, a gain of 7 mph which I'm sure would be the 50 hp you're looking for in street trim.

I don't think the bigger turbo or throttle body makes much difference at low boost like the 16# i run on 93.You are correct that the intercooler is a big help in the #s though.With a better intercooler you could do the same with what you have.I tried Alcohol injection and it sucked for me.All I did was blow head gaskets.IMHO it is just a band aid fix for crappy octane.I know there are guys going real fast on it but I don't like it.

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
I tried Alcohol injection and it sucked for me.All I did was blow head gaskets.IMHO it is just a band aid fix for crappy octane.I know there are guys going real fast on it but I don't like it.
Have you tried the progressive setup? I have just started with alchohol and had not gone with before yet due to tuning concerns, but the new system I'm using seems fairly easy to tune. I'm just at 22 psi now but there's easily more to go. C16 may be better with higher boost levels, but I am not to that point yet, and the alky makes a killer street setup.

No,the progressive setup was not out at the time.That has gotten me interested in trying it again though, because the SMC kit I had would have been great for a mostly stock car,but was really hard to get nailed down with my combo.Tuned right alcohol can make a big difference,but I don't think it can match race gas.The one real plus to it is not going through o2 sensors all the time.I probably would have been able to tune it better if I had the EGT guage that I have now to help figure out the A/F ratio.The progressive kit is definitely the one from what I have read,just pretty expensive IMO.