governor id

There aren't that many different Govs.
Standard & Hi Performance.
The BR, BQ, CQ, CZ, OZ, KZ Code Govs all look similar, weights are very close to the same size, may have 1 or 2 springs. The Standard Gov weights are basically the same, heavy weights & 2 springs.
Example>> http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/governor.jpg
GN Gov on left, MonteSS CZ Gov on right

Attachments

• Grand Nat Gov.jpg
    Grand Nat Gov.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 170
  • MonteSS Gov (Custom).jpg
    MonteSS Gov (Custom).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 155
thanks for the info but is there a easy way to tell the difference. i am no expert but if i'm looking thru a bucket of gov's is there a easy way to know witch one i want or need ? number or color code ?

The small weight is where you want to pay attention. The ones above, the small weight is very thin and therefore light. The small weight controls WOT upshifts, the lighter it is, the higher rpm it will shift. If you see a bunch of standard govs and you compare it to the ones pictured above, you will instantly recognize the thin weight. I do believe there are actually 3 sizes, but the heavier two are visually different and thicker than the ones above.

You CAN whittle down a standard gov but it takes a lot of work and then you will have to trial and error the shift points and drop the pan each time.

Gear color is not important. only difference between colors is the speedo drive gear part, and you can make almost any of them work for you with the proper driven gear and if not they are easliy swapped out. BUT the GN had an orange gear from the factory with 11 teeth on the speedo part and the green is MCSS and has 10 teeth.

Governor weights & ID

Yep^^^, as INGN said 3 different weights and the Standard Gov weights are thicker & larger.
Standard & GN Gov shown here>> http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/governor.jpg
The SSMonte Gov has the small Light weight & Medium large weight. The CQ,OZ & KZ appear to be the same as CZ code. Spring location & numer do differ.
The GN/T-type has the small Light weight & Light large weight.