Grey plugs only on pass. side

1 RARE T

I have a weird sputtering noise with my car that started last year. Drove it today and went w.o.t. a few times with alky spraying and 24 psi.

No knock at all (.7deg. once) and runs great but does'nt sound/feel right.

Pulled the plugs and all 3 on the pass. side are grey. Drivers side looked perfect.

What the heck does this mean? Seems to be lean but only on one side?

Ideas?

Update,

Changed the plugs with new 42's gapped at .32 and tried a new fuel filter.

Still the same.

Did take a f/p reading and it's only 62 psi. at 24 psi boost.

Have T/T alky chip running at 45 psi static so.......... 45 + 24 = 69/70 psi.

I'm guessing it's not knocking due to the alky but seems to be way too lean.

Fuel pump?

Is my thinking correct that the fuel is fed from the pass. side and loops around the rail to the injectors on the dr. side. Is it possible that there is'nt enough pressure to properly feed the pass. side?

Still searching.

Compression test lately? You may be on the right track witht the fuel issue, but if you have an alky chip, does it not supply the 70 psi you think you'd need because it knows alky will take up the slack? I am just throwing out ideas, I don't have alky (yet) so I don't know.

Only other thing I can think is other than comp check is do the carb cleaner spray check around the intake gasket, etc and see if you have a vac leak.

:confused:

Squid4life said:
Compression test lately? You may be on the right track witht the fuel issue, but if you have an alky chip, does it not supply the 70 psi you think you'd need because it knows alky will take up the slack? I am just throwing out ideas, I don't have alky (yet) so I don't know.

Only other thing I can think is other than comp check is do the carb cleaner spray check around the intake gasket, etc and see if you have a vac leak.

:confused:
The fpr has no idea you have an alky kit installed. It should always be 1:1. You definitely need more pump. Fuel pressure should be 69psi. I would use a guage that is known to be accurate for boost and fuel pressure since their seems to be a lot of discussion about inaccuracy of guages.

Ever try to pressurize your intake tract? I built a test piece from 3" PVC (This size is of course dependant on your intake tubing diameter.), 3" PVC Cap, and a standard air fitting of your choice (I use a bike tire nipple.).

The right way to do this is to loosen the rocker nuts in order to close the valves. I have found that in you can still obtain pressure in the pipes without doing that step, provided you continue to pump air in as it leaks off. About 5-15 PSI will show most leaks, but a true test is 20-35 ( For those of us that ... well you know :biggrin: ). Anyways, a small squirt of some soapy water from a spray bottle will tell you more than you thought possible.

Guess what I found to leak? The lock nut on the FPR was nearly sprayin' water back at me. Now, I did not, and still do not have a fuel pressure gauge visible from the driver's seat, so I have no idea for sure how this effected the fuel pressure... :cool: