guaging intrest in modded hot air intakes

highboost

i have the ability to build the same hotair intakes that js manufactuing was doing.
if there is enough intrest i would be interested in starting up production.
i would have you ship your intake and fuel rails to me to be modded and i would buy the upper plenum and mod it and ship it back to you ready for paint.
for an additional charge i can port the intake,and cylinder heads too.
i can also make the remote iac system for you.
price will depent on what you want done.
if you guys and gals are interested let me know.
also here are some pics of the one i built for myself.

keith

Attachments

• 000_0620.jpg
    000_0620.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 000_0624.jpg
    000_0624.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 148
I have to admit that I do not understand this new setup for a hot air. Is it setup for an intercooler? Uses the stock 84/85 turbo housing? I just ported and matched the stock intake and racing heads so I am too late. But it does interest me. I have a spare intake and heads if someone is interested in buying them for their conversion. This looks impressive. Thanks- Brad

Actually I mean not to be a cynic, but...whats the point??? Basically you are setting up as an 86/87 without relocating the Turbo....One of the biggest advantages to converting to the 86/87 is front mounting the turbo. With this setup you are preposing I would still be very limited on the size turbo I could stuff under the hood, also I would still be losing the other big advantage which is the 3 or even 4 inch downpipe....I'm guessing this mod would be very expensive, probably not much less then converting to the 86/87...correct me if I'm wrong....I like the idea, but if the cost is going to be anywhere near the cost of simply converting to the 86/87 configuration, there are just to many advantages I would be missing out on by going this way instead of a complete conversion.

T

Well I've been really looking and studying and observing this idea for some time now and I really like Keith's idea.

In my specific case, I'd be saving a lot of piping to and from my intercooler, and there would be quite some more volume of air entering the engine considering the plenum space being added. In my opinion, this mod would produce a way better daily driver and a really cool track beast. I'm planning to run a garrett GT series turbo(GT35R possibly), possibly next week I'll have a turbo at home to check for clearance, but at this point I'm pretty sure it can be done. If you look really close to the pics you'll see that the welding done by Keith looks really clean and professional.

Economy-wise, I've come to the conclusion that this idea will feel better on our pockets too.

The good thing is that we can all share our thoughts here.

I'm sold on this setup.

Just my two cents.

Thanks and good luck!

tenright said:
Actually I mean not to be a cynic, but...whats the point??? Basically you are setting up as an 86/87 without relocating the Turbo....One of the biggest advantages to converting to the 86/87 is front mounting the turbo. With this setup you are preposing I would still be very limited on the size turbo I could stuff under the hood, also I would still be losing the other big advantage which is the 3 or even 4 inch downpipe....I'm guessing this mod would be very expensive, probably not much less then converting to the 86/87...correct me if I'm wrong....I like the idea, but if the cost is going to be anywhere near the cost of simply converting to the 86/87 configuration, there are just to many advantages I would be missing out on by going this way instead of a complete conversion.

T

actualy you are not doing a conversion to IC'd you are opening up you restrictive intake to flow more air.you do not have to intercool with this setup
intercooling was just the option i took wich i am going to reverse.i am going to put mine back to hotair.
as far as turbo size i have a limit TE-60 turbo on top of my engine with this intake setup so you are no longer restricted to turbo size.
throttle response is improved as well as upper rpm HP.
there are more pro's than cons to this intake setup. including price.

and you can still leave your car hotair.

and no this is not my idea! i am simply picking up were someone else left of.
it all started with ESP Peformance then JS Manufacturing changed some things for the better.
now i am wanting to produce more of them to give the hotair car and edge against the IC'd guys.

how does the

I like what I see. Does the thermostat need to get moded or will it fit like the stock. How much $ are we talking.

Bat said:
I like what I see. Does the thermostat need to get moded or will it fit like the stock. How much $ are we talking.

t-stat housing will fit fine but you will have a thin plate bolted to the bottom of the TB and a remote mount iac.

as for price goes i am still trying to fugure price wise but i am thinking 650 to do the intake w/ 87 upper plenum and remote iac block and that would be modding your intake. and i provide the upper plenum.
i can do the port work as well for 175
and for 275 i will port your cylinder heads or 850 exchange on a set of rebuilt heads ported with stainless valves and lt1 springs installed
but i do not have a flow bench so please dont ask for flow #'s
all port work runners will be port matched to felpro 1201 intake gaskets!

keith

I already have the 87 intakes, so I would only need the upper bonnets modded. I guess one of the major advantages is not needing to have much done. I also have two hot air intakes complete. Let me know on a price on the upper bonnet mod!

Intake

I have this mod on my car. Its the JS intake with a stock IC added. If you want no IC you just route the piping accordingly.

Flow is awesome and throttle response improved too. For the price - you cant beat this mod. Good bang for the buck. I currently have a TA33 but I may move up soon.

As for the thermostat - I cut the roof off my thermostat housing and welded a flat piece of metal on top instead. This allowed for the retention of the stock IAC location - because I didnt want the relocated one. Doesnt affect coolant flow - car runs at 160 all day. Check out pic below... you can see that I also cut off the tube and bloked it off.

I have all the parts necessary for the relocated IAC - as fabbed by JS. Anyone wants it - shoot me a PM !!!

Attachments

• Thermhousing2.jpg
    Thermhousing2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 142
Couple things I am curious about....I already have the JS intake and intercooler, I love it, and I think it's awesome your trying to give others the chance to have the same kit. I wonder though, why do you request the fuel lines? Are you modding them in some way? When I sent away for the JS kit, I kept the fuel lines. Also, for the remote IAC, are you improving it at all? Cause the JS one doesnt really allow enough airflow, and subsequently the car idles really low and the IAC doesnt work 100% the way it should.

tenright said:

T

Two things. You are not limited on turbo size. You can fit a TA66 in the stock hotair setup. That's enough for deep 10s. Second, you can fit just as big of a downpipe as the 87 guys regardless of turbo location. When someone goes 9s, then complain about turbo location. You hotair guys like to make everything hard, especially when it comes to intakes like the god aweful unnecessary mods like the T-stat housing. It's amusing to me.

i am modding the fuel rails as well because i can get a better bead on the outside of the intake when welding the mount plate for the upper plenum. i cut the mounts to the fuel rails off the intake then move the tabs from the botom of the fuel rail to the top and they then are secured where the bolts for the upper plenum mount.

and as far as the t-stat housing goes it will not need to be modded with the remote iac.

and the remote iac block i machine works very well on my car it idles about 750rpm. but i did change where it inlets the air. js had it feeding through a vacuum port on vacuum block on the TB which will not work properly. the way i set it up is i drill and tap a hole in the throttle body to inlet the air where it was intended to go from the factory, then i pull fresh air in the air intake pipe right before the turbo after the maf.

Hmm...interesting...cause Ive been dealing with the damn remote IAC for quite some time now. Im interested in re-configuring it to what you've done. Do you have any pictures of it? Where exactly did you tap into, what kind of line are you using?