Guys running water cooled turbos....

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
What did you do to get water running through it? Did you get a container with a pump and just run hoses or what? My new turbo came with the water cooled option and any help on cooling the turbo I can get would be better. Thanks.

I borrowed Shawn's (IdahoGN) to try and it has the water cooled option.

What Shawn did and instructed me to do was disconnect the water hoses that go into the heater right at the vacuum shut off thingy right at the back of the engine. He then bought some longer pieces of heater hose and ran one into one side of the turbo and the other side back out to the heater thingy.

Some people will say you don’t need a water-cooled center section but I’m not one of them because it sure can’t hurt right? Well anyhow I gust put pipe to inverted flair fittings in the center section and used a tube bender to bend up some 5/16th fuel hard line to keep it all under the turbo heat shield and ran them to the unused fittings on the heater tubes that used to go to the T/B and then with some 5/16th rubber hose to hook it up with. Simple and in my set-up it looks factory, works for me. Phil.

I will definitely try some of these ideas. I do have one last question though. If antifreeze is bad for engine bearings shouldn't they be bad for turbo bearings too? I had planned on running pure water through my turbo.

Antifreeze is not going the physically touch the bearings.
Has a water jacket for the antfreeze to flow through that cools the center section, like around the cylinders in a block.

I am interested in this topic as my Talon has a new water cooled turbo and my girlfriends stock turbo has gone 120,000 without any shaft play yet.

But, what is the temp difference in the cars from oil to the water?
I do not have a temp gauge for my oil, but if its higher than water than its worth it, if not, totally seems pointless to me.

It would make more sense to cool the oil down more, like add a cooler or something to the feedline and reroute the line a little.

Innovative strongly suggest water cooling the turbo with the doubble bb option. I guess you can prematurely seize the b-bearing on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Well let me get some batteries charged up for the old Nikon and I’ll try to get some pic’s up tonight or tomorrow. Phil.

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
TurboPhil- If you get a chance can you take a pic or two of your set-up? Thanks.

You must remember. The only way you can run a water cooled center section is to have a center section that actually HAS water cooling provisions.

NO you can't run the water through where the oil fittings go. A water cooled center section for the turbo buicks will (MUST) have two sets of connections. Two for the oil, and two for the water.

HTH.

OK I got some pic’s up, just double click on them to get them to fill your screen if ya need to see more detail but its really just using what ya already got verses trying to reinvent the wheel. BTW if you try to run the lines like this.
( I borrowed Shawn's (IdahoGN) to try and it has the water cooled option.

What Shawn did and instructed me to do was disconnect the water hoses that go into the heater right at the vacuum shut off thingy right at the back of the engine. He then bought some longer pieces of heater hose and ran one into one side of the turbo and the other side back out to the heater thingy.)
Well when the heater control valve is off on that setup (heater off) you have no flow thru the center section of the turbo (a fire hose don’t put out no fires when its off) and with the way I did mine max flow will be with heater off and minimum flow with heater on as there will be a small pressure drop across the heater core, so like I said before it works for me so don’t dog me if ya see some stock parts on my motor as this is a real live California gross polluter. Phil.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/phil9674@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/PT-52&.view=t

:eek:

Stupid question, but why couldn't you just use the lines that normally run to and from the throttle body? You're supposed to take those off the throttle body, anyway. If you adapted those little fittings to the turbo, I would think it would be a nice, clean installation.

Just a thought.

PS: Where do you get a center section that has water jackets? That would be cool.

Thanks,

I just finished setting up my new dual ball bearing innovative 74 with the water cooling center section. The way I did it was use the hose from the water pump to the heater as my feed line and my after market raditor had a provision to hook the return line in to it.

REG

What are the pipe tap sizes for the water inlet and outlet on a water cooled turbo?

Both 1/8" NPT? Never seen one up close.

Gotta remember to look closer up at Jacks place next time. :)

If they are 1/8" NPT perhaps the throttle body lines may supply enough flow volume?

3/8" NPT on the Innovative Dual Ball Bearing 70. :)

Heater hose connections will prolly work the best.