H-V oil pump

JSD69Vette

I've got a question on installing a high volume oil pump. I've heard some guys say they have them and think it's the way to go, while other's say that they will suck all the oil out of the pan.

What do the members here think?

This is a love - hate question, some people swear by them, others will not use them!:biggrin:

We have 8 & 9 sec. stock blocks using our modified stock cover and never use a HV cover. We do use the Dut system on many race engines instead.:)

Never heard they suck all the oil out of the pan, even though even the stock system can come close on a high revving race engine.:confused:

I think the real risk you run with a HV pump is wear on thh front cam bearing. I solved this issue with the coated "dura bond" bearings.

interesting, Thanks for that info. Where might I get the bearings. I really did hear that about sucking the oil out of the pan.

Thanks.

I agree with 49-Blues. Get the grooved cam bearings from TA Performance and clock them according to their directions, that's what I used in mine. Used King bearings for the mains and rods. You don't need the HV oil pump if you will blueprint your pump and port the timing cover oil passages. Use Earl Brown's "recipe". My car will hold 25 psi at hot idle with 5w-20 Royal Purple oil although I'm using 5w-30 now that it's summer. Just do it right and you'll have no problems with your oil system using the stock pump.:biggrin:

John