Had a few questions after workin on the gn

Getsidewayz04

:) okay so today i started pullin things off the car in prep for goodies on the way. Im gonna install the RJC plate, new valve cover gaskets (leaking), 100# springs, injectors, n a few other little ends. I noticed while taking off the ignition mudule that there is a large spacer between the intake manifold and the dog house, its at least a 1/2" thick and is dark in color. Is this a stock part or is this something aftermarket the previous owner may have installed?

also i removed my intake tube, up pipe, and the turbo inlet bell. i want to port the turbo and wanted to know how hard it is to remove the compressor side of the turbo? i dont want to damage anything and I know how careful you have to be with the turbine blades. Stock the turbo bell that bolts on is already larger in diameter than the turbo inlet itself.

And lastly I removed the accordian style junk tube that connects to the turbo and there was a massive leak right at the inlet bell. Part of the tube was not correctly fit over the inlet bell and there was a noticable gap where air obviously was entering. since this was unmetered air entering the intake how much of a hindrance could this have been on performance?? sorry for all the questions but you guys are always such a great help!! :)

thanks again,

Nick

1/2" spacer is aftermarket and a good thing, but try the RJC plate without it at first. RJC plate should be great by itself.

Porting the turbo and taking it apart, I will leave to someone else. :)

Inlet tube with hole in it= very bad. Unmetered air is a huge hinderance. Try a solid pipe like one from Mark Huefman.

Cold Air Kits

cool i thought it looked like it was aftermarket, what purpose does a spacer that thick serve?? im getting the RJC PP so i guess ill just take it out when the PP goes in. how much would it be to send it out and have it ported?? is it worth the money for the gains or am i just better off saving for a bigger turbo?

but in regards to the hole in my intake would that have anything to do with me getting knock with 100 octane and running stock boost?? i could never figure it out.

the 1/2" spacer..

used to prevent heat transfer, add additonal volume, to the dog house.

I would save for a larger turbo, check the f/sale forums, you can get some good deals on turbo's there for fair prices.

and yes, that can cause a lean condition. Hope this helps!:cool:

yes thanx it helps alot!! i know where alot of my problems were stemming from now and i think im starting to make some real progress. I am ordering a hard MAF pipe from buickgn.com soon. BTW my last "fun" car was an
LT1 WS6 formula and I never had fun working on it cuz there was always something in the way or some problem, IM NOT A CONTORTIONIST lol, but man i love working on my buick!! always plenty of room and when it all goes right you feel good about your accomplishment. Im just doing little by little so i dont go crazy from boredom this winter lol.

also shadowII sorry but i forgot to ask, someone previously said in this thread that i should take out the spacer thats already there when i get the RJC PP, and just use that. would it be benfeicial to use both?? pros/cons?? anyone else have a setup like this?? thanks again you guys are awesome!!!

Nick

There are phenolic spacer plates that are not just spacer plate/heat insulators. There is at least one type that has a different shape than the mating surface of the upper plenum to the lower manifold. One type has a protrusion along the rear wall that forms an "air shelf" that is supposed to prevent the rear two cylinders from getting the blast of air that causes them to run leaner.

I could see a spacer that only adds volume working with a PP but that is certainly not a question for me to answer, I am just saying I could see it working where if you have the type of spacer I mentioned above, I could see it causing problems by interfering with the PP.

I see you have the Translator, they say to see the gains from the PP, you need to often add fuel - never mind just noticed it is on the way.

Oh well, just take it easy until you get it all together and ready to tune, and them be careful then too!

Thanx for the reply, I am going to probably take the intake manifold off n everything else with it some night this week when I have time. I will look and see what shape the plate itself makes in conjunction with what you said. So far everything aftermarket ive found on this car seems to all be from ATR, intake ducting w CAI, chip, couple other little things but did ATr ever make a spacer for our cars?? if so then i would bet that this i probably something from them, it seems to be the previous owners vendor of choice. I think just to avoid any problems and uncertainty im just going to install the Power plate by itself, and remove the spacer already there. But ya cant wait for all my new goodies to come!! next im thinking alky, te60, 3000 stall, intercooler...mmmmm