Harland roller rockers

alexo

Damn. I can't believe this.
After waiting almost five freaking weeks for the 1:55 rockers. After bolting them in.
They bind and ain't moving like their supposed to.
What Now?
Any suggestions. I'm running out of time and this is holding up my engine being dropped in.
I just put in a request to Full Throttle.
Hopefully, Harland will credit something for for machine work. What to do?

I would have expected that Champion CNC iron heads would already have the rocker stands clearance machined. This is something you can do yourself. Mask, cover and tape off the area very carefully. Use a die grinder and a carbide burr and relieve the areas shown in the pictures I posted above. Make darn sure that NO chips get in the engine.

I had the same problem with binding. When they assembled the rockers and spacers on the shafts they were not correct. I had to take the c-clips off the shaft ends and switch the position of the spacers , some are a little shorter than the others. Once I did that everything was silky-smooth.

I had the same problem with binding. When they assembled the rockers and spacers on the shafts they were not correct. I had to take the c-clips off the shaft ends and switch the position of the spacers , some are a little shorter than the others. Once I did that everything was silky-smooth.
X2 seen that as well

check clearnces on rockers on the shaft when bolted on . on the outside 2 you should have like 7-10 thou and on the inside spacers ( the 2 large ones ) wich share 2 rockers each u want 15 - 20 thou of clearence , this so they dont bind and for heat expansion . ( info from harland sharp ) also make sure those bigger spacers are in the right location on each side one is bigger then the other check length

check clearnces on rockers on the shaft when bolted on . on the outside 2 you should have like 7-10 thou and on the inside spacers ( the 2 large ones ) wich share 2 rockers each u want 15 - 20 thou of clearence , this so they dont bind and for heat expansion . ( info from harland sharp ) also make sure those bigger spacers are in the right location on each side one is bigger then the other check length
Do the smaller or larger spacers go toward the front or the rear of the motor?

the larger 2 go toward the rear of the motor , so one large per side to the rear shorter ones toward front . then feeler gauge your clearences , i thought these where bolt on application rockers but not even close spent a few hours and some maching to get them where they needed to be

the larger 2 go toward the rear of the motor , so one large per side to the rear shorter ones toward front . then feeler gauge your clearences , i thought these where bolt on application rockers but not even close spent a few hours and some maching to get them where they needed to be
Hours getting them right and machining where did you buy them I never heard of this ??:eek:

these where the harland sharp rockers . i just finished these up this week . i was totally bent on how much work it took to get these set up . several calls back and forth to harland sharp to get different spacers . they sent me two sets of different washers to get the clearnces right . mine out of the box bolted on my heads where all binding , for the money seemed crazy

Damn. This is the exact thing we went through. ARE GOING THROUGH ACTUALLY.
Harland is sending us some washers n stuff too for the same exact thing. They bind and these are definitely NOT bolt on.

Wow, this is all disappointing to hear...my harland sharps have been great, but they were purchased probably 8 years ago.

i hope there are not any major issues.... mine are soaking in a tub of oil now waiting for some cooler weather, so i can install them : (

aaron

Dave,
Myself and Lee Thompson both had T&D's that kept eating up the spacer washers and I mean eating them up. Some were even cut into. Had Champion iron heads and the pedestals where all clearenced right. I think Lee got rid of his but I went to town grinding the spacers down and checking and re-checking until I had more clearence on them. Had to buy and install all new washers but they now have about 35,000 miles on them and have been in two engines and they are fine now.
Jerryl, the only difference Iv'e seen between the two is the bearing system in the rocker its self and the H&S's are heavy !! The H&S's have a full needle bearing while the T&D's have two small needle bearings in the rocker. I have also ran H&S's with NO problems. Of coarse the price is also lower for H&S's.
In fact Red Armstrong told me years ago he liked H&S's better because of the one big needle bearing in the rocker.

My Harland Sharps definitely look beefy.... and well made. I wonder if there was a certain period when manufacturing was "off". I also know David Day uses Harland Sharps and it doesnt look like he has any issues ;)

aaron