Has the GN BEEN OVERSHADOWED

BOP4ever

I have been pondering this looking at the number of unsold cars on Ebay ( I am looking for my first GN ) or are there just unrealistic reserves on them.

I have always wanted a GN, but my wife who requires that I justify I am not throwing money into a rapidly depreciating hobby made me consider this...

With all the new performance cars such as the LSX F-bodies, Vettes, and GTO's now the G8 and I think Impala SS all putting down 350 + hp the Mustangs and Cobras not to mention the foreign cars...

Has the GN mystic been lost on the car hobbiest market ? I love the looks and the performance... however the sad fact is I've never even rode in one.... I have some of the others and wonder is the GN is a dinosaur and soon to be forgotten with these new performance cars entering the used market. Will the GN continue on like a true 60's muscle car or be forgotten and start to depreciate forgotten in the middle of the time line.

Just pondering thoughts please hold the flame throwers... I still want the car just wondering about the cars continued value over time... I'll probably never sell if once I get one.

The majority of us, buy these cars because we love them. It's an aura that the car presents as it rolls down the street quietly, then pounces on the unsuspecting corvette/camaro/firebird... (You may or may not win depending on your mods, but it's enough to have them be aware that there was a generation not too long ago that ruled the streets.)
If you want an appreciating car, get an older Ferrari, Shelby (i.e. AC Cobras, not the Selby Omni :))...
Good Luck in your search for automotive nirvana...
I'll be enjoying my third Turbo Regal...
Remember, life is short....

Go Fast With Class.

As with any automobile produced, the primary goal was to provide transportation. The vehicles that hold their value are generally not driven or driven very little and kept in "showroom' condition. These vehicles also have a tendancy to appreceiate in value.

If you are purchasing to drive then a newer "musclecar" might be a better choice for you. If you are buying a garage queen then this might be the one you want sitting in your garage. Only you know your desires. If you are purchasing for an investment only time will tell what the next "Big" thing will be. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

As far as "overshadowed", I don't think so. Nice examples are selling for more than when new. If you like actually working on cars the GN/T-Type cars are a good value for what you could spend when compared to how fast it can go. I'd buy what I wanted to drive. Go drive some and make the decision. It is a hobby and a hobby generally doesn't generate income. The goal of a hobby is to have fun.

I think its kind of funny about your subject, because I don't I don't think of them being overshadowed at all. The are the 80's straight performance icon, they are the sleeper that everyone knows about.

I have been pondering this looking at the number of unsold cars on Ebay ( I am looking for my first GN ) or are there just unrealistic reserves on them.

Its ebay, some have unrealistic reserves, and IMO its hard to sell a car in a week.

With all the new performance cars such as the LSX F-bodies, Vettes, and GTO's now the G8 and I think Impala SS all putting down 350 + hp the Mustangs and Cobras not to mention the foreign cars...

I have some of the others and wonder is the GN is a dinosaur and soon to be forgotten with these new performance cars entering the used market. Will the GN continue on like a true 60's muscle car or be forgotten and start to depreciate forgotten in the middle of the time line.

I still want the car just wondering about the cars continued value over time... I'll probably never sell if once I get one.

I personally don't think the new cars depreciate GN's at all. They are a legend of their time. The new cars aren't killing the Muscle cars either. GN have aprreciated some what from thier low in the mid to late 90's. I help a friend buy one back tens years ago, what was selling for 9-10K is now selling for $15K. The higher have appreciated at well, the only difference is their now a lot more rusty Gn's than before. Should you cash in your 401k and invest in them no, but they won't depreciate like other car. With up keep and insurance (and if you modify it) you most likely lose money, but not nearly as much if you bought one of the other cars you mentioned.

There are two 50K mile cars on E-bay with actual bidders in the $18-21K range.

5 years ago these would be $10-12K cars.

Some of the very low mile cars that aren't selling seem to have something wrong with them. A 14K mile car shouldn't have a dirty engine compartment or Eagle GA tires that look like they have 30K miles on them.

Of the cars you listed, only the '03-04 Cobra can touch the TR for the ability to run mid 11's with minimal mods (and no spray), and they are more expensive and likely always be more expensive than a TR.

If you think TR's will depreciate in value, you are in a tiny minority of people.

I can't figure out why people will pay $100K for a Mopar E-body and not $30K for a GN that is faster, brakes, handles and rides better and has A/C, power windows, Power Door locks, etc. I've had more than a few examples of both and I know which one I would rather drive, both daily and at the track.

Check out the CorvetteForum at this link

Buick GN - Corvette Forum

Lot's of talk about the GN, MOST of it good with many Corvette owners, either having one now or did have one! Nice to know others appreciate it!

Look at some of the late 60's early 70's cars that are selling for wellover $100k,not many of them can keep up with a GN...a Gn is in the same class as those cars but faster ....they will continue to rise in price

i say once you've driven a gn you'll know if you want one or not, i love my gn this is my 3rd gn ( 1-stolen-2nd i sold before i went to the army ) and as soon as i got out i was on the hunt for another gn :smile: , the smile i get when i see the faces of those $70k vette's and mustangs after a good spanking ...........

priceless:biggrin:

WHen you go to a car show, do you go to look at the brand new cars that people with deep pockets buy just to say they can afford them? Or do you look at the half finished projects, the chevelle 454, the bubble top 409 impy's? Get my drift? Me and my wife went to a car show yesterday with a friend and gawked at stuff we don't normally see. FOr example the 409 mentioned earlier, Bandit t/a, and the Nova SS with the vynil top :cool: factory moonroof.

Everyone has their personal preference. Yes I could have had a car faster than an ICTB. My reason for buying one was just because I didn't want to have a car that everyone else has. Everyone's got a mustang, a camaro, a chevelle, etc. I myself never drove one before, except the 79 sport coupe. I bought mine and its junk. I spent a year tracking useable motor, buying missing/broken parts. Got to finally drive it this spring at was very impressed. I had a TPI camaro I liked with headers, ported heads, cam, etc and it has nothing on this car:biggrin: How could these cars NOT go up in value?

Check out the CorvetteForum at this link

Buick GN - Corvette Forum

Lot's of talk about the GN, MOST of it good with many Corvette owners, either having one now or did have one! Nice to know others appreciate it!

Yeah, there are a few in that thread that get it but boy are some of those guys naive and disparaging. Especially the guy who admitted not really knowing what a GNX is yet stated that it shouldn't be compared to the holy Corvette. You'd think someone was on their forum extolling the virtues of a riced out Civic the way some of them were. I don't get it about Vette owners and their noses in the air.

This past Thursday one of our larger local cruises was literally inundated by Corvettes as there were many members of an Indy based club down here and they joined local Memphis based members and swarmed the place. I arrived at such a time that my GN wound up parked smack in the middle of all the plastic. I look after my car as I check out the other vehicles and was intrigued by the fact that most of the Vette owners flat out ignored the GN walking by it like it wasn't even there so they could look at more of the same C6s. :rolleyes:

Golly gee your highness. Sorry I parked my ugly, un-aerodynamic, anemic handling brick-on-wheels in your parade! :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the original thread. If you want a GN, get a GN. Best I can tell, you only go around this merry-go-round one time so do what pleases you. You can also do so knowing that the TRs have already cemented their place in automotive history and their values will be protected for that. That is why the original Musclecars and the iconic '50s cars are worth so much today.

If you want a GN... get one! I think nice Turbo Regals will only go up from here. I have a WE4 and a rare Stage 1 70 GSX 4 speed car. I bring them to local cruise nights and the WE4 ALWAYS attracts more attention than the GSX. People in their 30's and early 40's comment how they "always wanted one..." those same folks will have more disposable income as they get older and want to buy the cars they liked in their youth and that's a reason enough to get one now while you can still afford one. It's really the only remarkable performing musclecar of the 80's. Just my 2¢.

The majority of us, buy these cars because we love them.

Well said :D

If you are purchasing to drive then a newer "musclecar" might be a better choice for you. If you are buying a garage queen then this might be the one you want sitting in your garage. Only you know your desires. If you are purchasing for an investment only time will tell what the next "Big" thing will be. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Ditto

You will find some people using these cars as daily drivers but I'm guesisng for the most part people keep them more for weekend cars. Parts for these cars can be clostly and hard to come by at times. We also live with some amount of fear of our cars being stolen. Just thinking of that subject has me wondering how a car could loose value is it's constently being stolen?

I own an LS1 1998 Trans Am, just sold a Twin Turbo Stealth, had a 12 second T-type, and I'm currently building a mid 11 second T, all are fast but the seat of the pants feeling of driving a modded Turbo Regal can't be matched. It is the coolest feeling ever, nothing comes close in my mind, which is why I keep coming back to them. They are savage, a true Jekyll and Hyde car.

In conclusion:

LC2 > *.*

Great Subject I drive mine Daily and race it whenever I get an oppurtunity whenver that youngin pull up next to you in there shiny new Rustangs or Ricers with the loud Coffee Can Muffs.....Had a GN now since 96 I'm on my second one now alot nicer than my 86 was.....

BTW, I will daily drive my 11 second "TNX" as long as the weather is nice, I built it with the mods to keep it fast and trustworthy and I'm building a sound platform in the trunk to hold an extra gallon or two of alcohol.

That Jekyll and Hyde feeling isn't so fun in the bad weather though, down right scary and exhausting, even in a stocker.

I own an LS1 1998 Trans Am, just sold a Twin Turbo Stealth, had a 12 second T-type, and I'm currently building a mid 11 second T, all are fast but the seat of the pants feeling of driving a modded Turbo Regal can't be matched. It is the coolest feeling ever, nothing comes close in my mind, which is why I keep coming back to them. They are savage, a true Jekyll and Hyde car.

In conclusion:

LC2 > *.*

I totally agree. I drove a GN back in 1994 and I was instantly hooked. Im on my second turbo buick now but wish I wouldn't have sold the GN. I will say to the people that have never driven a TR, drive one. A stocker, a modded one and I think that most people will be hooked!!! Maybe its not for some people. But the thing I like the best about them is great gas mileage, comfy, very easy to modify, and just a great pleasure to drive.:biggrin:

Everywhere I drive my car, even though its not as nice as others out there people are always asking about it.

I think that very nice examples of the turbo regal will only increase in value. Will it bring big money like a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle??? Who knows..The GNX is getting closer to the value of a 70 chevelle. My car is not a garage queen nor will it ever be. I bought it for one reason. To enjoy the pleasure of driving it and the occasional smackdown at the stop light. It is fun though laying the smackdown on some younger guys that have no clue to what a turbo regal is..:D

I guess its all about personal preference. Some like em, some don't. I just wish I would have bought a GNX back in 1995 when they were somewhat affordable??!!!:eek:

I paid $8,000 for my GN back in 95. To buy that car today it would cost me probably about 14-15k now!!:eek: I guess we do have something going for us because nice low mileage cars are bringing alot more that the sticker price when they were new back in 86-87..

Go ahead

Buy you a fancy dancy new car, and spend some major money making it fast. I have less than $14,000.00 in my GN, and it will beat any of the new stuff coming out now!!!

See my point!:cool:

1st GN

I have spent my life a SB chevy guy until I met my mistress(that's what the wife says). In fact I've got a 12 sec vette that I haven't driven in years cause I'm hooked on this GN!! I wasn't even looking for one when I got mine! Wouldn't give it up. Besides my wife of 19 years it'S been one of the best things thats happened to me!!

Here is a true story. I purchased a 1970 Chevelle SS396 in 2000 and spent about $45k in restifying it. She was one mean lady. I loved driving that four speed around town, and she laid down a 13.48@ 105 with a crappy 2.1 60'...it was a 12 second car if I could get her to hook. Here she is:

Featured Chevelle - February 2003

I would get some thumbs up, and some looks driving around town. It was mostly the older crowd giving me the thumbs up. I would go do the car show circuit a little, and went to some cruise-ins. I got really tired of the show circuit and the strange people that participate. No offense to those that participate, but you are some weird, anal, folks. God loves you. I don't.

I sold the Chevelle to fund a 1978 Malibu drag car, times listed in signature. I built that car and purchased and hotrodded a 1986 GN, also in sig, for the price I sold the Chevelle. I get far, far, far more thumbs up driving my 10 second malibu around on the street, and I've literally had people honk and hang out their window screaming at me that they love my GN when I drive it around. I've never had that response from anyone driving one of the nicest Chevelle's you'll ever see. Yeah, GN's are the shiznit. In my mind there is no doubt about it. I will continue to build and hotrod mine. It's no trailer queen.

As for Corvettes, my brother happened to have a bone stock 1986 Corvette pace car that was a L98 350. This car was the absolute biggest POS, slow, ugly, non-looks getting car out there. It was a white convertable with red rally stripes on it, with red interior. About as flashy as you could get for 1986, and I've been out cruising with him a number of times. People wouldn't even look at his car. Embarrassing. I felt sorry for my brother. Corvettes are a snoozer as far as I'm concerned. I find it incredibly funny at car show/cruises with people driving around in bone stock corvettes thinking they are really something. How lame for them. Just my opinion and experience.

In my personal opinion, all of the new car manufacturers are trying to snag a piece of the appeal that these cars had and currently have. With regards to the looks and performance. But they all fall short.

Honestly, there never has been or ever will be a more sinister looking car than an all blacked out Buick GN rolling up on you at night with just the parking lights on. Every time I see one pull up and park at a cruise in, I can just imagine Darth Vader stepping out.

zIMG_0190.jpg

DVader-1.jpg

To me, I think of GNs as Vaders ride, and the myriad color selection of the Turbo Ts and T-Types as sharks, stealthy prowling the streets for their next meal. Everyone that knows or is into real cars, respects the GNs for their sinister black look. Not many people really know about Ts and T-Types that are not black. A true sleeper effect. Since I've been taking Sarah to the local car shows, I get all kinds of people who are confused when they stop and look. Questions like, What is this? Is this a GN? Did you put this motor in the car? Things like that. It's comical actually.
In the meantime, I'll leave everyone with this.
Vader does have a sense of humor after all.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM[/YOUTUBE]

Patrick