Have a '87 GN TH200-4R can I use an '08 C6 tranny internals ?

Robert1mcssgn

Hello fellow GN owners, I am new to the GN ownership, purchased 1 month ago. I plan on doing all the bolt-on upgrades as possible to the engine ( another thread ) and as for the tranny I would like to take it out and beef it up, want it to be a reliable but strong cruiser. I have herd that corvette ineternals can be used but I have no idea what parts & have no idea on how to change them my self. I have a 2008 Corvette Z06 complete transmission with only 40K miles. Any body know if this is true and if so what parts and or what yrs, or does any one know of a shop that can help me get the job done in the 805, California area ? Thanks in advance to any and all help given. I can do all the bolt on stuff my self and take out the tranny and change all the seals and give it a fresher upper service etc...

Those are 2 completely different Transmissions. No parts will interchange between the 2.
Bruce Toelle / WE4 may be able to recommend a Shop close to you to beef up the 2004R.

Those are 2 completely different Transmissions. No parts will interchange between the 2.
Bruce Toelle / WE4 may be able to recommend a Shop close to you to beef up the 2004R.
Don't think Bruce is in business anymore...

Oh I see, I kinda figured that cause the Z06 tranny looks way diff than any tranny ive ever seen. Looks wicked... Thank u very much &,i appreciate the info & lead... So he might know who is in business, how can I get ahold of him ?

you could also get all the parts to put the Vette trans in the GN... will require some floorpan modifications since it goes out back, and a complete IRS setup- but what the hell, right?

Oh wow, really ? That can b done ? Might take major work wouldnt it, considering the major change... I would really like that but would like to know who can do that or where I can get skooled on how to do it my self & what would b the cost associated to make it work... I'm.handy with tools can modify a thing here & there. Got the garage & tools to work on it on my own but knowledge is power here...lol thanks

Robert1mcssgn said:
Oh I see, I kinda figured that cause the Z06 tranny looks way diff than any tranny ive ever seen. Looks wicked... Thank u very much &,i appreciate the info & lead... So he might know who is in business, how can I get ahold of him ?

Extremeautomatics.com

Cool, checked out their website but they r too far from me... Im 1 hr north from LA... I would have to ship, wait etc... I like to deal & support locally... Those tranny's do look very nice... I hope some one locally can help me with this... Thanks fellas...

contact Donnie Wang (DRW trans) in Santee,
he CAN fix you up.
Bruce is still on the board , he can advise you where to take it also.

I would sell the zo6 trans because it will be hard to get manual trans parts in your automatic. Im sure a trans builder would do some swapping for that trans. If its an 08 corvette 6 speed automatic, Im sure thats worth some cash

Yeah I would like to keep my GN og so selling & or trading is the best idea... I'll ask... Good idea, thanks for that one... Yes its a Z06 oem tranny with only 40K 6 speed

Oh wow, really ? That can b done ? Might take major work wouldnt it, considering the major change... I would really like that but would like to know who can do that or where I can get skooled on how to do it my self & what would b the cost associated to make it work... I'm.handy with tools can modify a thing here & there. Got the garage & tools to work on it on my own but knowledge is power here...lol thanks

i was only being a little serious..

swapping in the Vette IRS and rear mounted trans is one of those things where if you have to ask how to do it, then you can't do it..
the easiest way would probably be to start off with a complete Corvette, cut the body off it, and set the GN body down on that.. and it's really not even as simple as that.. google the "50/50 Camaro" and see how much fun these things can be.. that car is over a decade in the making and i don't think it's close to getting done..