head gasket install

garyg

i need some help. i need step by step instructions info on cylinder head removal and head gasket install. torque sequence on heads and intake and torque settings. i dont want to remove more than i need to. this is my first major repair on my 87 t type.

i need some help. i need step by step instructions info on cylinder head removal and head gasket install. torque sequence on heads and intake and torque settings. i dont want to remove more than i need to. this is my first major repair on my 87 t type.

To be quite honest, if you have never done head gaskets before, I would suggest having a qualified TR mechanic/shop do them. As I do not know of any step by step instructions for changing head gaskets on any of the Buick Forums. It would take us (that know how to do them) awhile to write down "good" step by step instructions, as some things are hard to explain. How much mechanical experience do you have? I know that this is not the answer that you are looking for and am sorry. If you are going to do your own work (which is a good thing as long as you are mechanically inclined and have the tools) on these Buick's then you should get a Shop Manual or CD that is for the TR Buick.

Step 1: Remove head
Step 2: replace head gasket
Step 3: replace head
J/K

What side are you doing? I replaced my passenger side HG recently and it was a piece of cake. I hear the drivers side is hard because of close clearance between the head and the HVAC box.

Try this page for torque specs and sequence:

Bolt Torque Explained

Also, do some research on the type of HG you want to replace it with. Good luck.

i am mechanically inclined, this is my first turbo regal, i've done hg before as well as cylinder heads replacement on my 91 mustang gt i used to own. i was wondering is there anything i need to look out for?, can i leave the exhaust manifold/turbo in the car or pull the whole assembly with the head? things of that nature

i am mechanically inclined, this is my first turbo regal, i've done hg before as well as cylinder heads replacement on my 91 mustang gt i used to own. i was wondering is there anything i need to look out for?, can i leave the exhaust manifold/turbo in the car or pull the whole assembly with the head? things of that nature

You need to take the exhaust manifold off to get to the head bolts. Turbo needs to come off as well. After you replace the head gasket/s and have everything torqued down and you are ready to roll. Run the car easy until you've "heat cycled" the HG's a few times then you need to remove the valve cover/s, rocker assembly and headers to re torque the heads. Some people don't do this, but it is needed, especially if you are going to run higher boost levels. I would re torque, if not you will soon become proficient at changing head gaskets. You did not have to do that with your Mustang I bet, since you probably had a static compression ratio of maybe 9.5 to 1. A stock TR has a static compression ratio of 8.0 to 1. When you up the boost to 20lbs or so your compression ratio is upped to around 18 to 1, so this is why you re torque, plus after a few heat cycles your center 4 head bolts usually loosen up a bit. :smile:

What side are you doing? I replaced my passenger side HG recently and it was a piece of cake. I hear the drivers side is hard because of close clearance between the head and the HVAC box.

You do have it backwards right? Don't you mean the pass side by the HVAC box?

How much of a pita?

I've noticed in there it's cramped.

Maybe I should check my center head bolts? Thats under the valve cover right?

I hope to never have to change a HG which is why I run alky but you never know....

Why did it blow in the first place? :confused: :confused:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com