Head rebuild costs

TurboBrett

Mr. Bump
Check out this estimate I got today to redo the 75K heads on my GN.
Seems kinda high to me, but maybe I'm just used to shop prices from being a mechanic?

What do you all think?

Attachments

• estimate.jpg
    estimate.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 220
looks like they forgot to charge for 5 exhaust valve s , so add $70 + tax to that quote

for about $1,300 you could get champion ported iron heads ready to bolt on complete with springs

Yeah, my thoughts exactlly.
And $8 per for bronze guides?
Commodity fee, environmental fee?
Just seems a little nickel and dime-ish to me.

I agree with PACECARTA- Spend the extra $ and get a ported set of heads. I spent about the same $1300 and it was well worth it. Brad

They sound pretty proud of their work. But, nowdays with CNC valve equipment, it takes alot of heads to pay for it. Some guys say they are better, some guys say they're not. I've had them done both ways and I usually go with PRECISION stone ground seats. I have seen heads done by a CNC that were soooooooo bad the the valve would only make contact with 50% of the seat.:eek: The quality of the job isn't the machine, but rather the operator. They have been stone grinding valve seats for longer than I've been alive. But, if you have a good seat/guide machine, then once you set up the first seat, the rest just knock out in a few minutes, that's where they make the shop money. I also prefere the stock iron guides if they are still in good shape and they usually are. If they are out of tolerance, then just use guide liners and not bronze guides. I have heard of too may bronze guides failing, due to wrong material used and bad set-up. If this shop has no experience with Turbo Buicks, then I would pass on them, unless you know EXACTLY what you want and they let you stand there and talk them through it. Champion ports a good head and you won't be dissappointed. There are a few other notable head porters on this board too. (i'm done for awhile--Dr's. orders):frown:

doesnt look overpriced to me...thats if its done properly ...a cnc machine doesnt compete with a skilled techician...i wouldnt feel bad about paying for quality work...now the other options are also viable...champion ported aluminum heads or even ported irons (bout1000)...just up to you and how much of a budget you are on...its only the beginning hehe...noah.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
BTW They priced new guides because they measured my 75K stock guides and found .005" clearance.

Sounds pretty expensive!! I could fully port a set for not much more than that.:)

Having done hundreds of the Buick V-6 heads over many years, the price, and and work proposed to be done in is line with our prices, and any other experienced performance head shop.

The production shops can certainly do it cheaper, if your main concern is price.:smile:

Let me give you another general comment. We are a performance engine shop that does only race and performance engines and heads of all types and make. Everything is done to customer's specs and requirements. There are other shops around the country that also specialize in performance work.

Since this type of shop, and I am personally familiar with many others, does specialize in performance builds, their experience is also what you are going to pay for as well.

We all have learned from feedback and repitition, and have refined many procedures and methods to build a better product - one that performs better for the buck, and lasts longer.

With all that said, your best approach is to find out about who you want to do your work by checking references which would be satisified customers [or ANY customers] for a start.

I ve got a set of totally rebuilt heads ready to go for $450. shipped. heads even have POR-15 black paint on them that never rusts.